Which side to pass when Taxiing

As a rule if you are passing another plane, you each turn right and have the plane pass on your left.

Ok, that is when flying, but what about when taxiing?

Watching the planes at Sydney airport - the big one - planes going to 16 L.

There are two taxi ways and I was interested that the planes were being put to pass on each other's right.

Ok, it is accademic and they were on seperate taxi ways, but I would have thought that as a general rule the controllers would have maintained the same side for passing when taxiing as to when they are flying.

I'd imagine the traffic controllers are looking purely at efficiency of the operation rather than specific ground rules. There's a good deal of science that goes into air traffic control.

There's probably a regulation out there that answers this but my thinking is the same "turn to the right" rule should probably apply to us when taxiing. Might simply be a common sense thing. I know at Goulburn it's been more of a hit-and-miss arrangement lately though...

It's counter-intuitive... the drivers are seated on the left so you would think it safest to have them pass from opposite directions to the right.

Kaa

Z

Would it be passing if they are on two separate taxi ways. They are passing each other in a way, but since they are each on their own taxi way, it wouldn't actually be 'passing' would it?

• Like 1

Yes, granted the are on different taxiways, but it still seems "strange".

Ok, analogy:

In cars we pass each other to left. That is to say we keep the other (oncoming) car to our RIGHT.

When we are on highways - where there is sepeartion between the oncoming traffic - they are still on our right.

It isn't that sometimes they are on our left.

Now, planes going to/from RWY 16L at Sydney have to go on the taxiway to get there. Obviously there are two so there is one to "go there" and one to "get back".

Yes, I sort of agree there MAY be minor benefits to planes going certain ways, but as there are planes coming and going, I don't get why they would be put on taxiways which would make them pass oppostie to how planes are "supposed to" pass.

Turning right to leave the runway, I had to pass another plane waiting to enter. Due to his position, and the clear area to his right, I decided to go round him on the 'wrong side'. He was not impressed and throw his hands up in the air. To go the 'right way' would have meant a very tight turn for me and forced him to reposition his plane to his right. There's no p[leasing some people when common sense takes control.

That's what I've always done. Passing on taxyways is rare, All the ones I can recall don't have two lanes or envisage passing. Normally you hold short if the intersection where you meet the other aircraft but you may have a situation where someone wants to exit a taxyway you want to enter, so there, you would go past his position and turn on the runway ( which is wide enough generally unless your plane requires the turning nodes at the ends) then arc to the left and enter the taxyway the the other aircraft has just vacated. This is untidy but does work . You have to be in communication with people to do these things. You are not driving in a supermarket carpark. Nev

I recently had the pleasure of a flight at moorabbin, quite a whole new world having separate taxiways (and parallel runways for that matter). Instructor reminded me to use American road rules - keep to the right. All of the places I've flown only have a single taxiway which we just kinda sort out between aircraft if two of us are taxiing at the same time.

Guest ozzie

When you backtrack a runway you are supposed to be on the right side. So if you did have to pass another on a taxiway then i would think that would carry over as well. Most of the passing/ overtaking rules for aircraft are the same as maritime when you are in the air.

Same as in the air, keep right, and I've been in plenty of places where you do have to pass other aircraft on a taxiway.

If you are on separate taxiways that is like being on another road, it is irrelevant.

I wish drivers at airports (in cars) would also keep right instead of thinking it is a road.

• 2 weeks later...

When you backtrack a runway you are supposed to be on the right side. So if you did have to pass another on a taxiway then i would think that would carry over as well. Most of the passing/ overtaking rules for aircraft are the same as maritime when you are in the air.

That's not what I was told/instructed.

Guest Howard Hughes
Watching the planes at Sydney airport - the big one - planes going to 16 L.There are two taxi ways and I was interested that the planes were being put to pass on each other's right.

Hi Flying Dog, there are standard taxi routes in operation at Sydney which basically work in a clockwise motion between taxiways B & C (southbound on Charlie and Northbound on Bravo). This allows vacating aircraft from both parrallel runways to slot easily in to the flow of ground traffic. This also has the added advantage of when giving taxi instructions ground does not have to give you a barrage of taxiways, just your runway holding point and any intermediate hold short instructions.

Cheers, Mark (aka HH).

That's not what I was told/instructed.

best to backtrack (taxi) down the centreline....you're much easy to see

Oh, turn so you can see the circuit and don't park on the keys...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif