Why do you pay??

Goodaye all

Can someone explain to me why Engine/ aircraft manufacturs do not pay for recall on parts that could be suspect?

The Rotax crankshaft and Jab through bolts come to mind.

In the car industry it the maker that picks up the cost.

regards Bruce

Unfortunately, even the car manufacturers are leaving us stranded. The injectors on the D4D diesel Toyotas come to mind. They supply dud injectors and the customer is expected to pick up the tab for the upgraded item!

The crank for example, as l read australian warrenty laws they have to repair it, which means they have to take it out and fit a new one at no cost.

As the part was supplied unfit for purpose.

Through bolts would be the same.

regards Bruce

If you down load -The Australian Consumer Law- There is alot of information.It will take a few hours to read though. Eg- No Refund Signs in shops are unlawful.But you see them everywhere.Shops cannot refuse to give a refund, under certain circumstances.I also looked at Statutary warrantees, they change from state to state I think.Also in Qld, (Maybe everywhere else I dunno) Items bought after the 1st of Jan 2011, come under something different to items bought before that date.The information is easy to follow.Consumers have alot of rights that manufacturers and supplier dont want them to know about.

So it comes down to ignorence on both parties.

l also read those laws recently and some of the claims can be backdated.

regards Bruce

I don't think that you will find any authorised service agents for Jabiru aircraft. Aircraft manufacturers rely on qualified people (LAMEs & L2s) to do repairs in the field. If they were to accept a warranty claim from and owner, the LAME/L2 would bill Jabiru for the labour costs. We haven't been reimbursed by Jabiru for replacing through bolts.

You have to check the warranty period for these engines. I domn't think that it is very long.

OME

Technically, you are afforded a warranty beyond the manufacturer's warranty by the trades practices act, if your manufacturer claimed 2000 TBO as an inducement to a sale, you would expect to get 200o hours with the usual maintenance. Is the only reason that people are paying for their own repairs is the consequences of pushing the manufacturer to pay for the repairs or lack of knowledge of the law?

When you sell several million engines/vehicles a year it is easier to withstand a recall and the associated costs than if you sell only 1 or 2 thousand a year. Yes I know the cost of a (small basic) aero engine is more than many complete new cars but the economies of scale, mass production & available funding for R&D in the automotive industry provides a reserve that aero engine manufacturers have no hope of maintaining. If they had to recall everything that went wrong we would all be flying ground launched gliders or a basic Rotax 912 would cost $100,000.

Jabiru engine Warranty* is currently 200 hours or 12 months (which ever comes first) from date of retail sale to customer.

I think that 12 months from date of sale sucks. I have a customer who bought his engine several years ago so he could get his engine mount fitted and do all the plumbing, but the engine hasn't been asked to fire up at all. In otherwords, it has just been a lump of metal hanging off the front of his plane with zero hours. I reckon that Jabiru should warrant its engines on a time in use basis, like everything else in aviation.

OME

I think that 12 months from date of sale sucks. I have a customer who bought his engine several years ago so he could get his engine mount fitted and do all the plumbing, but the engine hasn't been asked to fire up at all. In otherwords, it has just been a lump of metal hanging off the front of his plane with zero hours. I reckon that Jabiru should warrant its engines on a time in use basis, like everything else in aviation.OME[/quote My 3300 was 5 yrs old [brand new never run] when I put in my A/C and Jabiru replaced all updates for free including Tig welding the muffer.I just put them on. Cheers

I think that 12 months from date of sale sucks. I have a customer who bought his engine several years ago so he could get his engine mount fitted and do all the plumbing, but the engine hasn't been asked to fire up at all. In otherwords, it has just been a lump of metal hanging off the front of his plane with zero hours. I reckon that Jabiru should warrant its engines on a time in use basis, like everything else in aviation.OME

Several years ago, would he really hope to fire it up without some major issues like seals, bore pitting etc?