Look out Australia, I'm now on the loose!

Yep, as of yesterday afternoon I'm no longer shackled to the 25 NM circle! It took close to three hours of flying, but I passed my Nav flight test! There was a bit of everything thrown in - good weather, bad weather, strong winds, diversions and some crosswind landings. All in a days' flying!

Full story here: http://1000feetagl.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/little-bit-of-everything-navigation.html

• Like 4

Yep, as of yesterday afternoon I'm no longer shackled to the 25 NM circle! It took close to three hours of flying, but I passed my Nav flight test! There was a bit of everything thrown in - good weather, bad weather, strong winds, diversions and some crosswind landings. All in a days' flying!Full story here: http://1000feetagl.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/little-bit-of-everything-navigation.html

Great work!

I'm hoping to do mine soon, so I'll look at your blog with a "could I have done that?" interest.

• Like 2

There was a bit of everything thrown in - good weather, bad weather, strong winds, diversions and some crosswind landings.

Impressive examiner. Throwing in diversions and X-wind landings is one thing, but organising good weather, bad weather and strong winds is pretty impressive!

Enjoy your new found freedom, and try not to panic the first time you look down and think "is that town really the town I think it is?? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

• Like 1

Yay!! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Well done Capt'n, I reckon the most important thing about nav flights, other than weather, etc... is fuel planning! Bit embarrassing running out of fuel, as they say.. ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

But you'll be right of course, keep up the good work. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yep, as of yesterday afternoon I'm no longer shackled to the 25 NM circle! It took close to three hours of flying, but I passed my Nav flight test! There was a bit of everything thrown in - good weather, bad weather, strong winds, diversions and some crosswind landings. All in a days' flying!Full story here: http://1000feetagl.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/little-bit-of-everything-navigation.html

Hey Evan,

Well done, mate! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Class G is now your oyster! Enjoy....

Cheers

Neil

Well done ::Evan:: ...now you can fly your supersonic Jabiru and Tecnam all over Australia.

The write up was really good. That stage is still ahead of me.

Great work!I'm hoping to do mine soon, so I'll look at your blog with a "could I have done that?" interest.

Well done ::Evan:: ...now you can fly your supersonic Jabiru and Tecnam all over Australia.The write up was really good. That stage is still ahead of me.

Thanks Chris and Eighty, you'll get there!! I haven't had a chance to exercise my new qualification, but the idea of being able to blast off into the sky and end up in another far away place is pretty exciting!

Hey Evan,Well done, mate! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Class G is now your oyster! Enjoy....

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil. The question is now: Where will I go?

Congrats!!!! Still chasing my ticket, can't wait till the day i can post my news! Great write up, I hope you get to do lots of exploring in this big beautiful country and write it all up :-)

Congrats!!!! Still chasing my ticket, can't wait till the day i can post my news! Great write up, I hope you get to do lots of exploring in this big beautiful country and write it all up :-)

Thanks! You'll get there too. I look forward to reading your writeup when you do! Thanks for reading mine! 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Well done mate catch at the flyin

Oh yeah! I'd love to attend a flyin! NATFLY??? 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Well done Evan, it's a great feeling, I just passed mine a week and a half ago. It's a wonderful thing.Phil

Awesome!!! Congratulations! Where do you fly out of? Do you head over to Goulburn?

Congrats mate, its a grand feeling isn't it?

My advice for first navs would be for places no further than 30~40NM away. After that then you can work your way up to longer trips with more legs or refuelling. Don't slack on navigation and really try to nail all your enroute markers. Radio towers, roads, small towns... pick them all consistently to keep tabs on where you are and you'll do well.

My favourite short trips so far are Goulburn - Bathurst and Goulburn - Maruya via Braidwood. Love the scenery on each, especially the runway at Maruya!

Cheers mate, keep us in the loop!

• Like 1

Guest pookemon

Geez Evan - you timed that well! I was booked to have a lesson in BAC's Tecnam on Sunday and it was a white out! Airservices said cloud base was 600ft - looked out the window and I could see the clouds going through the backyard at eye level.

Well done on the Nav's - hoping to start mine soon, just have to get some more time in the Sierra!

Your first trip should be to ... somewhere warmer! Or Hotham. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Agree with Boingk, runway 04 at Moruya is a great departure, you get runway followed by grass, beach, breakers and then ocean. Just make sure your personal safety brief includes the "start swimming" at the end of the ditching brief for engine failure under 500'. Lol

Agree with Boingk, runway 04 at Moruya is a great departure, you get runway followed by grass, beach, breakers and then ocean.

It sounded interesting so I had a look on Google and I can see a runway 05.... so I guess 04 would indeed be some fun - grass, beach & the odd shrub perhaps! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Yes, looks lovely.

Gnarly, caught me out as well! I was working from ERSA and calling runway 05, whilst hearing others call 04 on CTAF. I kind of got the hint when I lined up on the numbers and saw it had been repainted 04.