Preflight Checks, What do you find?

The use of cats as an aid to aviators has been known for many years but don't throw it out of the aeroplane - by all means throw it but keep it inside the "cabin" - cats always land on their feet when thrown so their feet will always point towards the ground - always good to know whuich way the ground is.

Interesting theory, and it was apparently used by early aviators who would take a cat with them for that purpose. One aviator even took a lion with him! Early form of instrument flight! Bob

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of cats as an aid to aviators has been known for many years but don't throw it out of the aeroplane - by all means throw it but keep it inside the "cabin" - cats always land on their feet when thrown so their feet will always point towards the ground - always good to know whuich way the ground is.

Double ditto

Cats have many uses in science and engineering... Also very useful around the house.. They can be used to untangle headphones with a minimum of fuss..

But combined with a piece of buttered toast can be a free source of perpetual energy.

If you tape a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat, the laws of physics tell us that if you drop the cat upside down, neither the cat nor the toast will ever hot the ground due to cat always trying to land on it's feet and the buttered toast always tending to land buttered side down... The cat/toast machine will just spin forever..;) try it... It works...!!!!

• Like 2

I didn't see him use the headphones after that! While we are on bizarre stuff, I was watching Cops last night and this guy was sitting in an ambulance telling a police officer that he had become pregnant to a dinosaur and wanted to go to the maternity hospital. The officer queried him as to how that happened. Wasn't too sure but somehow the eggs got implanted into him.

Wonder what you would call the "kid"; T-rex sounds a bit classy.

What does this have to do with flying? Absolutely nothing.

Cats have many uses in science and engineering... Also very useful around the house.. They can be used to untangle headphones with a minimum of fuss..But combined with a piece of buttered toast can be a free source of perpetual energy.

If you tape a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat, the laws of physics tell us that if you drop the cat upside down, neither the cat nor the toast will ever hot the ground due to cat always trying to land on it's feet and the buttered toast always tending to land buttered side down... The cat/toast machine will just spin forever..;) try it... It works...!!!!

Not on my puddy cat. Sounds interesting but not perpetual. You still have to feed the cat.

My ancestors built windjammers on the Clyde, so knowledge has been passed down from generation to generation.

The Captains always had a ship's cat.

They were great at plugging leaks.

You had to replug the leak in the beginning and your hands bled a lot, but it settled down after a while.

• Like 1

I think we need a new preflight check!!! I found a loose plug--that's it.

Actually a non fuctioning cyl. is interesting. In a v8 it would be hardly noticeable in a car but of course in a single cyl engine it would attract attention. I've driven home [slowly] a few 4 cyl cars working only on one or two cyl

What has this got to do with flying? Absolutely everything if it happens to you.

• Like 1

Actually a non fuctioning cyl. is interesting. In a v8 it would be hardly noticeable in a car but of course in a single cyl engine it would attract attention. I've driven home [slowly] a few 4 cyl cars working only on one or two cyl

Happens all the time with Jabirus.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

I have another one which is just a simple flat tyre-but a big nusance especially if you are miles from help. I have thought of taking along some canned goop that goes into your tyre and seals up small leaks. But you would have to take the weight of the a/c off the tyre before it will go in. It will fill up the tyre with enough pressure to "get you home".

Don't store it in your cockpit in case it thinks you have a flat tyre when you're cruising at 5000'.

Hope this keeps the ideas coming in, besides I'd like to see 2000 hits on this thread.typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

I have another one which is just a simple flat tyre-but a big nusance especially if you are miles from help. I have thought of taking along some canned goop that goes into your tyre and seals up small leaks. But you would have to take the weight of the a/c off the tyre before it will go in. It will fill up the tyre with enough pressure to "get you home".Don't store it in your cockpit in case it thinks you have a flat tyre when you're cruising at 5000'.

Hope this keeps the ideas coming in, besides I'd like to see 2000 hits on this thread.typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

Me too: 2000 is a great number to aim for and we're about 5% of the way there. The information so far has been instructive and therefore valuable. Keep it up!!

Thanks 80knots. [do you mean 5% to go] This thread has had many posts on what to look out for in that 15 min, or less for a commercial pilot. Also we've heard of a perpetual cat with buttered toast tied to it's back and a guy who claimed to be pregnant to a dinasaur. This would make the old Ed Sullivan show look like a class lesson on the sex life of a guppy.

I was doing a pre-flight check on the 160 this morning and when I checked the oil, I noticed something partially melted over number one cylinder. Upon removal, it turned out to be a length of clear plastic, not unlike a ribbon of glad wrap. I checked the air intake as well. This is just some of the junk that blows in from the adjacent land fill.

Bob

I'm very disappointed in this thread.For a start we haven't had the possum and snake stories........

Ok Turbo, How about the bloke up in Dawin who just lifted off whe a snake came out of the instrument panel! I think it was earlier this year. He returned to Darwin safely, but the snake was never seen again. You wouldn't want to fly that plane again! Bob

PS. We should all reach in behind the instrument panel and check for snakes as part of ou pre-flight!?

I'm very disappointed in this thread.For a start we haven't had the possum and snake stories........

We had a Jet Ranger land at Boonah after complaining of a over temp indication. Dead Snake was found in the engine bay.

We had a Jet Ranger land at Boonah after complaining of a over temp indication. Dead Snake was found in the engine bay.

Where was the snake in the engine bay? and what was over temp? I dunno if civvy ones are different but ours only have gauges for engine oil temp, transmission oil temp and TOT . I've just been trying to figure out how a snake in the engine bay could cause any of these to overtemp.