Radio Controlled Aircraft Flying

Admin

Should we include a group of forums for Radio Controlled Aircraft Enthusiasts?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should we include a group of forums for Radio Controlled Aircraft Enthusiasts?

• Yes, a group of forums
    • Yes, just a single forum
    • No, not really interested in them
    • No, but add it to the Enthusiasts site

We have got just about all kinds of recreational flying here on the site and what I mean by "Recreational" is all kinds of aviation other then commercial aviation.

However one area we don't have is for Radio Controlled Aircraft so I was wondering whether there is much interest in this and whether we should have a group of forums for Radio Controlled Aircraft building and flying...so what do you think?

Start with a single forum Ian and add more later if the demand is there. A lot of us got started in, and fostered aviation with models.

It would add another dimension here for people so interested.

Pud

Voted for a forum but I think you are likely to find that most contributors will be from the existing forums as there are many very well embedded pure RC / Model Forums already in existence that would be unlikely to see tragic divert over here...073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

• Like 1

I can help you with that if you want to keep it flying for more than 10 seconds - sensitive little buggers.

Get a RealFlight simulator kit which consists of a DVD and a two stick controller which you can use or link to your more upmarket controller.

It realistically simulates real flight, and gets you up to speed on things like control reversal when the helicopter is coming towards you or upside down.

Crash? You just press a button and there's a new aircraft sitting on the strip ready to go.

About $350.00 now I think.

Seems a post has gone missing.

• Like 1

I thought there would be some interest...not to take away from dedicated RC web sites but more as added value to the users here.

Thanks for your comments and although there have been around 350 registered users log in in the last 24hrs, only about 7.5% of them helped out by voting.

PLEASE, it takes merely a millisecond of your time to simply click a choice on a poll but it gives a lot back to the site in helping to make the site much better for you.

I have created a "Flying Model Aircraft Usergroup" forum for discussions on this type of recreational flying:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forums/flying-model-aircraft-usergroup.10/

It will be great to see how it goes.

It is in the Recreational Aviation group of forums as there is even a Governing Body for them and some of these aircraft can be mighty big and require a lot of skill to fly them.

I have just started a thread in the model section titled " Show us your models" so any of you fellow modellers head over there and show us what you've got!

The RC community is fully well served with their own various forums. I know pilots may be interested, just as some are interested in bikes and cars and....

However, what might be of interest is where planes might clash with models - as you may have seen on this forum about the guy flying FPV near commercial airline traffic.

• Like 1

Guest nunans

I'm sure there are plenty of forum contributers/RAA members who have been, or still are also into aero modelling.

There are dedicated forums like Archeli etc but there's no harm in adding something here.

I'm sure there are plenty of forum contributers/RAA members who have been, or still are also into aero modelling.There are dedicated forums like Archeli etc but there's no harm in adding something here.

I feel the same as nunans, whilst I wouldn't normally go searching model forums, many of us have been builders in past years, and can't help but be impressed with seeing some of Micks models for example.

Given the opportunity to try and fly them, many who fly RAA would be amazed how much skill is required to fly some of them, if in fact they could even manage to.

My nephew flys amongst other things, a 200mph jet model which I couldn't control to the end of the paddock.

Some of he giant sized models which you can view on youtube have up to 4 pilots and are worth a small fortune.

SORRY! posted it the wrong thread

there is a place for an RC Forum, most of my ultralight associates also fly RC, we will often get more ultralight pilots in one place flying RC then ultralights, it has become an extension of our aviation addiction.

Regards Millie

Yes, I agree with Millie. Many of us fly RC as an extension of our more "regular" flying. So I think that we would have an interest in like minded flyers, rather than go visiting sites dedicated to full time RC modellers. In my limited experience such types view real pilots as oddballs. Just my tuppence worth. Regards, Don

Guest nunans
In my limited experience such types view real pilots as oddballs.

To be fair I think that most of the general population view pilots as perculiar at best, I think that's one thing that us aviation enthusiasts have in common :)

Hi Ian,

Make it a general Model Aircraft forum. From another site I frequent (Overseas site) a lot of the GA & RA pilots also build any thing from the plastic "Airfix" type kits to 3m RC scale. I started with RC and still fly RC when not doing the other 2.

• 3 weeks later...