Suggestions for activities

Admin

Do you have any suggestions for activities or how the Flyin should go???

My initial thoughts are:

Friday

Arrive Friday (or Saturday)

Barbecue dinner

General meet and greet, chat, drink etc

Saturday

Bacon & Eggs, coffee, cereal etc breakfast (supplied by Rec Flying)

Fly around the beautiful area of Camden Haven, Port Macquarrie etc

Partners and others go on a ground sight seeing tour in the morning (transport provided but user pays any admission to sites - will advise)

Sandwiches and soft drink lunch (supplied by Rec Flying)

River cruise in the afternoon or more local flying (user pays)

Evening dinner on site in a Marquee with special guests and entertainment (user pays with any proceeds going to Hastings District Flying Club)

Sunday

Bacon & Eggs, coffee, cereal etc breakfast (supplied by Rec Flying)

Depart as required

So any other suggestions or ideas (the above is just one idea)?

Hi Mike - I will let you know - I am hoping to fly up there this or the next weekend to sort out some finer details and I will know more then on what is needed but at this stage I am presuming that all you need is just your camping gear like tent, sleeping bag etc - there are a couple of onsite vans available that I have booked for the flyin and I will get more details on them when I get up there

Guest Emma Masters

Ian,

Can you please book us a Cabin including Myself, Darren and our 2 Kids..

Due to childrens sport on Saturday I had planned to just fly up early Sunday morning - looks as though it will be all over !!

Any suggestions Ian? It would be great if you could make it but I am guessing most will leave early to mid morning on the Sunday to have time to get back.

But hey I will be there till late on the Sunday (so there will at least be one aircraft there ;)) then flying up to Port Mac, staying the night and flying back on the Monday

Guest bateo

I think we should have a bit of a competition with the pilots and their aircraft.. Just for a bit of fun who want to ''show off'' haha..

Some suggestions maybe....

* Shortest landing (In A/C catergories of course) or what our club have done in the past, is put a small stand made out of foam which has a heavy plate at the bottom (wood so it stands upright and does not blow over) and we do a 'low level pass' and try and knock it over with the nose, or mains whichever preferred.. WITHOUT touching the ground! Brings the skills out of a pilot.. Always good fun though!! This is done with 2-3 a/c in the circuit.

With maybe a prize like a free Rec flying shirt,cap or bottle of wine???

Just a few suggestions to keep us amused and also gives everyone the opportunity to see the many different aircraft and their performances while in Circuit/low level.

Great ideas Sam, lets make some interesting comps for the Sat afternoon and some trophies for the winners.

One competition we use to have was to get to 2-4000 ft, chuck a toilet roll out so that it unravels, then see how many times you could cut it with the prop, wing etc.

And dont forget the flour bombs....

Cheers.......Doug

Guys,

I like the idea of extending our skills, but can we come up with ideas that don't compromise safety? I mean, not a lot of us rec pilots will be familiar with the above competition antics and methinks taking part in these could well lead to a mishap of one kind or another. I'm not trying to be the party-pooper here, just concerned that no-one gets hurt putting the fly-in and recreationalflying.com onto the "bad guys and cowboys" records at RA-Aus and CASA .

Paul

Thanks Paul - agree. Some things could be the closest touch down at a certain spot on the runway and then again on a simulated engine failure - I would think these are fairly tame but fun.

Sorry - it does sound a lot more harrowing than it was.....!

Our comp was held at Albury Airfield in Cherokee Warriors where ATC fitted us in with the regular traffic.

We also carried a safety pilot who ensured our activities were in the correct area (we had to pick up the toilet rolls afterwards) and ceased before the nominated altitude (1000ft AGL from memory).

The flour bombs were released via the storm window and aimed at witches hats next to the runway - again a minimum height was set.

Hope that clarifies things a little....

Cheers........Doug

Guest bateo

haha it does sound fun Doug.. But I think thats something we could do on maybe a private strip, I honestly havent heard of that one before.

I think stick to the emergency landings/ short field landings/ or the low level passby.. They are all safe, and all pilots would have had to at some stage do all of the above in their syllabus.. Although I wish in my training I got to 'cut up' toilet rolls in the training area!! haha

Most light aircraft comps in GA (such as those run by the RFACA) include spot landing comps which are fun - and have variations including glide approaches. Basically they set up a string fence across the runway and then have marked touchdown points at 10 metre intervals with varying score for where you touch down. In these comps they always have someone in the plane checking that you follow proper procedure. The total points for the event is a combination of the inflight stuff ( checklists, heights, speeds, etc) and the score on the touchdown. Its great practice.

I take it my suggestion of cutting a streamer across the runway at 10foot inverted is going to be frowned on then......?

How about a mini navex - fly a certain time at a certain speed on a given heading and describe whats underneath and repeat for whatever time you like.

Cheers........Doug

One comp. I have seen but not tried personally involved flying 3 circuits of a course around ground points, about 1 mile apart, not below 200'. Pilots nominate their air speed and it was worked out by a handicap system.

Those who did partake enjoyed it. I am not sure how the handicap was worked out, it was done by Len Neal of Callide Dawson Flying Group. Maybe rickp would know more.

Competition suggestion,

concept to be modified to suit environs of competition base

Fly to South XX xx xxx East XXX xx xxx

At that point count number of houses (or other observation that gives a number value)

Take up track that is double that number of degrees to the clockwise of East

Maintain that track for 7 nautical miles

Fly due South 3 nautical miles

Take photo of nearest road intersection

Return to base.

Before departure team is to nominate time to complete task.

Points awarded for closest to nominated time and with photo of correct target

How about just a fly around visiting a few different strips? For even some of the slower Aircraft places like oldbar for a burger is within reach, combine lifes great pleasures, flying and eating. Maybe Old Bar.....Taree.......Landon Park for the slower ones or even all comers? For some of the quicker machines they could go north maybe on to Port and maybe Kempsey then back down the coast via Southwest Rocks? Great scenery.

Maybe have a quiz on a few landmarks on the way or even a poker run? One of the exotic fast plastic/metal machines could travel at lightspeed to a few destinations and drop some cards off?

The simpler you can keep comps the more fun you seem to get out of them.

Guest Fred Bear

This is all good. There are some good suggestions but how about us that are not taking an a/c up there? Most schooners that one can drink in one night? I'll be in that! 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

How about flying three consistant circuits - judged by a portable gps that can be viewed on a laptop.

Requirements would be - circuit shape, circuit heights, etc

regards

Guys,

Here's one that is a little different and can invlove a little luck.

Spot landing Poker. Mark out sections of the approach end of the strip with chalk as card numbers and the king, queen and jack.

5 landings, where you touch is the cards you get, best poker hand wins.

Watchyas reckon?

This is all good. There are some good suggestions but how about us that are not taking an a/c up there? Most schooners that one can drink in one night? I'll be in that! 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

I dare say somebody with an Aircraft could be talked into ferrying a family across to Old Bar for a burger.:)