Any advice

It used very little when flying, weather and radar etc isnt much at all. And the map part doesnt use data at all

The original download and maps is significant so do this where you have wifi

Smallest data plan does it easily, problem is the really small packs are prepaid and they have just 30 day expiry. Still might be cheaper than a plan?

If I want Internet stuff I use the iPhone to connect as I'm already paying for that service. My external GPS plugs in to my WiFi iPad - one charger keeps both fired up. Altogether a lot cheaper than a top of the line model iPad and no extra monthly bills.

Frank, I have set up like DJARO, Minus IPhone, just a stand alone 16GB IPad, we have a mico sim, 12 month prepaid $150.00 which does us fine but as JETJR suggests go for the latest 3G with internal GPS. Mark from Kyle communications informed me that the standard IPad uses the local network to give you a fix and will drop out when transiting out of mobile range so I purchased the external GPS as recommened. With the standard Ipad set up I did notice a difference in accuracy etc, when compared to a specific onboard aircraft GPS. It is good that everyone is giving so much help with this topic.

Guest Escadrille

Will a CASA ramp check Inspector approve an ipad (or similar tablet platform) in the aircraft if you do not have a current hardcopy of ERSA, WACs, VTCs and etc?

Patrick:

Bad Elf. Just order it direct from the US manufacturer. The prices I've seen here in Oz are absolutely ludicrously marked up. I'm flying with someone at the moment who has one and we had it hooked up last night working really well. Nearly 600 knots groundspeed.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif It also complies with the "no personal transmitting devices" (eg, bluetooth GPS is a no-no for us) policy my boss has.

Yes, yes, I know you don't need Bad Elf GPS on an iPad to compliment triple IRS and a dual GNSS. We were just trying it out with ozrunways and it was great. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Escadrille:

Yes, as far as I know. If you have ozrunways, and your downloads are up to date, then you by default have a copy of the officially approved and amended documentation from Airservices Australia. The ozrunways guys I believe have a contract in place which ensures that they get the approved electronic publication data from Airservices.

This of course does not mean you can officially use the iPad and their software for "navigation" (by that I mean GPS navigation). Just for publication reference.

Guest pookemon

Can you store the weather/ERSA etc. on the iPad so that it can be recalled without a 3G/Wireless link? I could bring up the weather on my Kindle, then turn off the wireless and I have the equivalent of a printed weather report with me at all times (and if I can get a wireless link while flying/at another AD then I can update the weather - Eg. pairing with a phone).

Personally (because I hate iPad's with a passion) I can't see why printing Wx, relevant ERSA's etc. is a problem. Use a good phone/tablet to get Radar via 3G and you're ahead of the game anyway.

you can download the whole ERSA beforehand - not too sure about the weather, outside of 3G coverage. However I have just bought the new ipad 16GB with 3G. I was surprised apple would let me tether it to my Android phone, but it works a treat as long as you have 3G coverage

Can you store the weather/ERSA etc. on the iPad so that it can be recalled without a 3G/Wireless link? I could bring up the weather on my Kindle, then turn off the wireless and I have the equivalent of a printed weather report with me at all times (and if I can get a wireless link while flying/at another AD then I can update the weather - Eg. pairing with a phone).Personally (because I hate iPad's with a passion) I can't see why printing Wx, relevant ERSA's etc. is a problem. Use a good phone/tablet to get Radar via 3G and you're ahead of the game anyway.

Yes. The Ozrunways guys also do a NAIPS app for the iPad. With this you can download the weather from NAIPS (when connected obviously) and save it. Once again this is the exact same valid and approved data as if you were getting a NAIPs briefing in the office or on the fax machine. It's just stored and displayed electronically.

Honestly, they have really done their homework on these iPad apps.

As dutchroll says:

I have an UltiMate GPS from the USA.

CASA safety officer told me that a ramp check would have the boxes ticked for documents (eg ERSA) as definition of a document includes electronic. I carry paper charts so wasn't part of my question.

I am aware of CASA rules wrt EFBs so queried that at the same time. So day VFR ok for me.

He also said to expect written confirmation soon but instead there is a working party.

Patrick,

This is the one most of us use, as recommended by the locals, I bought it online from Skyshop.com.au.

DUAL UNIVERSAL XGPS150A RECEIVER WITH BLUETOOTH

Product Code: XGPS150A

Price : AUD$120.00

The XGPS150A is very simple to use. There is a quick set up process that includes pairing your device with the Receiver. Once this is done, the Receiver will automatically connect to the device it was last paired with, and you will be able to use it with hundreds of apps that require location information.

Shipping cost australia wide $13 express.

Hope this helps you out,comes with 12volt and USB charger etc

Regards Graham

I too use my phone for pairing the 3G network and have a GPS receiver on the dash that talks to the IPad. That way I did not have to spend extra money on the 3G iPad. I also did not need another phone sim or connection. I just use the one on the phone...

Regards

Mardy

I'm sold on the Ozrunway kit, on my iPad 3GS it is awesome, the latest update has a lot of fixes, the platform is stable and updates quickly, very power hungry though but if you reduce the brightness it improves slightly. I have a Fisher Mk 1, so paper can be a problem, dont worry Mr CASA, I have the required paper copies with me when I go long distance. I have a kneeboard that holds the iPad in place and a flight bag that sits at my side with the paper junk in it. To back it all up I also have a Garmin GPS 196, so should I get lost "I SHOULDN'T LEAVE THE CIRCUIT AREA", I love the gizmo's available, but always have my position fixed on a paper copy and a paper flight plan, but at 60kts and in VMC I don't have many problems. I have a fuel endurance of 5 1/2 hours with the reserve remaining of an hour, if the bladder holds out that long and the turbulence doesn't change my plan, I'll go for the full time, the iPad has plenty of battery juice for that, I use a charger inflight so all is good anyway. Another thing I like is the "Find My Device" App, so if I am within phone coverage and the wife is looking for me, she can track my progress and not worry so much..

I have never flown in a rag and tube and never thought of the fact that you could lose your maps in the wind very funny.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I have never flown in a rag and tube and never thought of the fact that you could lose your maps in the wind very funny.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Give it a go shafs64, it is an experience you will not forget - keep your mouth shut lest you lose your false teeth though:yikes:

Pud

Unfortunately not once but three times, but some good old ingenuity ( really big rubber bands) on the knee board and I'm sorted, my girl flies true hands off so changing maps, updating flight plans etc is relatively easy, but with he iPad, it can change maps as I move across the planet, I still use both electronic and paper,

Thanks for the comments and I will probably go OZ runways but I just thought I would invite comments before I spent the $1000.00 I liked what I saw but other experiences are worth hearing.FrankM

Before you rush out and buy a new iPad, contact Apple Australia about a refurbished one. From them I purchased an ipad2, 32Gb wifi 3G model, 12 months warranty, totally rebuilt, new inside and out for $568. Saved myself $200 on a new ipad2. Comes repackaged with new cables, charger etc.etc. I purchased specifically to run Ozrunways, but have since used it for just about everything. (Being in the printing business I have used Macs since 1980 so I am biased)

Give it a go shafs64, it is an experience you will not forget - keep your mouth shut lest you lose your false teeth though:yikes:Pud

How did you know i had false teeth pud.

Any aeroplane which has a side window which can be opened in flight (or an open cockpit).

One second you're holding your map/chart up to match the ground features to what you can see. Next second..........woooshkaah! No more chart. You gradually learn after the second or third replacement chart that you need to be more careful.

I can't see CASA ever approving full EFB with totally no paper map back up, ERSA might be a different issue though. The GPS network is not infallible; just a few years back part of it was off-line for a period due to solar flare. There has been some discussion lately about if another 'Carrington Event' were to occur, we are so electronic dependant this would cause a staggering global depression and major loss of life.

Thanks for all the input.I have gone ipad and ozrunways with external GPS. Looks good but have not used it in the plane yet.

FrankM

Thanks for all the input.I have gone ipad and ozrunways with external GPS. Looks good but have not used it in the plane yet.

FrankM

Frank

I find O.R. particularly useful when navigating around controlled airspace . It takes the worry out of being close ! Many find it best to spend some time with other O.R. users , to get confident with it's operational quirks . Have been to two O.R. sessions and found them of marginal benefit , as the presenters seem to get sidetracked by a few with advanced issues to the detriment of those new users who want to learn the basic functions . This is not a criticism of O.R.or their excellent software . Many new users find it more beneficial to spend time with a experienced user .

Bob

Bob

Good advice - 4 of us sat down at the aero club on Sunday all with our new toys and each learnt of each other.

Took it up in the plane today and worked well. Can't get it to stay on "track to the top" as any touch of the screen goes back to north at the top. No doubt operator problems at this stage.

FrankM