D-Motor

geoffreywh

Where the internet is concerned, there is a huge difference between knowing everything and having read everything about any particular subject.

Sounds like some wisdom you would read on the internet, oh the irony 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I have an injun or 2 of my own unique designs coming along soon enough so you will be able to make your own judgements of whether or not I know shite from clay.

First batch of parts arrived today and just 24 hours ago made an agreement for the fuel system, happy as Larry today 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Admiration" 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif I am very interested!.....I would have loved to have designed my own engine. But was never in one place long enough . At the moment there are a LOT of new engines, some real, some just prototypes, I saw an American website with a whole array of new types. Radials, Square, inline ect..All real metal. I recognised Suzuki TL1000 heads on one motor. I do like the thought behind the D-motor. and the ingenuity of the Rotec. Put them together?....Anyway. I wish you the best sucsess..Luck has nothing to do with anything....

• Like 1

I checked on their progress the other day, It seems there is a problem with casting the 6 at the moment so they are machining a 6 cyl c/case from solid much like Jabiru. The size of the 4 has changed to 2700cc? . At least there are news updates now

Not only news updates but 20 plus deliveries as well with more to come.

My engine is sitting on the bench waiting to start installation and the Jabiru is now out the aircraft and for sale.

The web site was deliberately kept low key until there were engines available for delivery, so I would expect more regular updates from now on.

The 6 cyclinder should run before Friedrichshafen and both engines will be shown, plus those in the BOT Sportcruiser aircraft and others. The BOT is a well sorted and tidy installation by some good engineers.

Nick

My engine is sitting on the bench waiting to start installation and the Jabiru is now out the aircraft and for sale.

Nick

Great to hear Nick, guess you're excited.

Is the engine noticably smaller than the Jab and will you make the cowl smaller if so to take advantage of that?

The engine is certainly lighter than the Jab and the bare unit can be easily lifted onto a bench.

It is quite a bit narrower due to the lack of rocker gear, but engine mount to prop flange is identical. Top of the block to bottom of the silencer is similar because of the (well designed !) inlet manifold and fuel injector assembly. I am going for a front mounted radiator similar to the Viking setup, so the cowling can be tapered towards the front but needs some depth to accomodate the rad.

I wonder how they adjust the tappets maybe hydraulic.The power to weight figures are good.The only thing I would like to see is a carb option.

It has double redundant EFI which should be far more reliable than an iced up single carb with debris in the bowl and jets...why oh why would anyone want to take such a step backwards like that?

• Agree 1

I must agree, Having a simple carb, even with all its inherent problems appears to be more reliable to us old simple folks..... But of course it's not...It's just the devil we know. .I bet Ozbear want mags on it too?.

It has double redundant EFI which should be far more reliable than an iced up single carb with debris in the bowl and jets...why oh why would anyone want to take such a step backwards like that?

I'm glad you asked if a carb is set up properly they are fine feed it clean fuel and use carb heat when needed.the trouble with EFI even double redundent when the power fails it stops .Also if there is a problem with a carb it's usually easy to find.dont get me wrong I like the advantages of EFI I would just like the option of a carbie for some applications.

I must agree, Having a simple carb, even with all its inherent problems appears to be more reliable to us old simple folks..... But of course it's not...It's just the devil we know. .I bet Ozbear want mags on it too?.

Of course Geoff dual independent ignition does not need dc power .

Hi Bex, in post #40 posted on March 29 . You said that in a few weeks your will make a announcement in regards to your engine. I was wondering if that "announcement "has been made. And if it has ? Where is the announcement?

Hi Bex, in post #40 posted on March 29 . You said that in a few weeks your will make a announcement in regards to your engine. I was wondering if that "announcement "has been made. And if it has ? Where is the announcement?

I have had to modify and re-submit some parts of my IPR application 3 times now mostly due to language differences. You may be able to appreciate that patents must be word perfect. I just did it the third time a few days ago and decided to play safe and break it up into 2 IPRs to make it clearer as 2 'non-obvious' points overlapped each other. So now just waiting to get "Pending" status after final search then will describe what I am doing.

• Informative 2

I have had to modify and re-submit some parts of my IPR application 3 times now mostly due to language differences. You may be able to appreciate that patents must be word perfect. I just did it the third time a few days ago and decided to play safe and break it up into 2 IPRs to make it clearer as 2 'non-obvious' points overlapped each other. So now just waiting to get "Pending" status after final search then will describe what I am doing.

No worries, can wait to see it.

Some posts were removed for having nothing to do with the topic...please carry on private "how are you" type of discussions in the Private Conversations system

• 2 weeks later...

update from the website. The six is a monster..nearly 4 ltr. 130hp. @ 3000rpm. claimed 18ltr per hr at 75% ................... Outside RAA requirements I would think? ( If I fitted one to my Jodel It would be almost VNE at cruising speed!!!.)... But a direct replacement for all those old Lycoming 320's..................... Having read the website again I see that it will be too light for a Lycoming replacement. More like 0-200 replacement. At 80 kgs. and 20inches wide!!!! it's tiny.................17000 euro + water cooling bits. I hope it works out for them

I would question the claim of 18 litres/hour at 75% power, (which is about 96 HP, otherwise I'm not critical.

Regarding the injection v.s carb. Clearly this engine need highly regulated fuel distribution to run well and cleanly. IF you are worried about injection system failure, it would be extremely simple to have a manual low pressure "limp home" alternative system added on that might not idle well but would be fine at just under normal cruise output. Nev

I would question the claim of 18 litres/hour at 75% power, (which is about 96 HP, otherwise I'm not critical.Regarding the injection v.s carb. Clearly this engine need highly regulated fuel distribution to run well and cleanly. IF you are worried about injection system failure, it would be extremely simple to have a manual low pressure "limp home" alternative system added on that might not idle well but would be fine at just under normal cruise output. Nev

IIRC it has double redundant fuel injection system too...(2 pumps, 2 rails, and 2 injectors per cyl)

You would still need electrical power, and there is a high cost. A manual system could weigh literally ounces being just a low pressure injector in the inlet tract. Nev