D-Motor

geoffreywh

By all accounts, engines is engines, it just depends on what ya wanna use it for eh? Just FYI, I was talking to a gyro man last night, very informative chap) who mentioned that a shift to different engines (whilst common in our aviation sector, LSA etc) is always on the cards as different option appear like, new developments, local and overseas regs, changes in technology etc. etc. I noted one day, whilst surfing the web during working hours, tut tut, that a Sukuki engine was mounted on the back of a Dominator 2 place gyro (USA manufacturer) with a warp drive prop. I was told last night (and this is not that new for some of you I guess) that this engine comes in at a tidy 90 lbs, produces near enough to 150 neddies, with all the bells and whistles attached including the reductiond drive. Much lower weight than the common Pooh-bear-roo engines common to the genre now. It also costs about $14,500, new, a far cry from the compareable Rotax. I also, in my wanderings around the cyberspace, saw the same engine up the front of an LSA on display at some field day/fly-in in the US. Worth a look I think. I will be looking at it as I progress toward my constructive obsession!

Greg

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...a Suzuki engine...comes in at a tidy 90 lbs, produces near enough to 150 neddies, with redrive... about $14,500, new...Greg

Sounds very interesting Greg. Do you have more info about which Suzuki this comes from?

I spent years investigating various car and bike engines, and once a redrive was added, none came in lighter than a Jabiru.

The 3-cylinder Suzuki G10 used in the Swift was the nearest to what I wanted, but too heavy.

Sounds very interesting Greg. Do you have more info about which Suzuki this comes from?I spent years investigating various car and bike engines, and once a redrive was added, none came in lighter than a Jabiru.

The 3-cylinder Suzuki G10 used in the Swift was the nearest to what I wanted, but too heavy.

I am pretty sure he said it was out of the 4cyl swift, I know it is being used a fair bit in the US as I have seen reference to it on Utube a fair bit. The guy I was talking to is Eric, NSW 0488016405. Whilst I believe he doesn't use the engine, yet, he was aware of fellow constructor (gyros) who were. Give him a ring he might be able to give better info.

Something else worth looking at is the diesel they are using in the US in LSA aircraft. It is out of the Smart Car, toothed belt reduction, 7lt per hour they have it flying. Look it up on Utube, punch in 'diesel aircraft' and have a look for it. It is at a show and the distributor is being interviewed and gives a fairly good run down. It is entitled 'FlyEco Smart Diesel Turbo Charged Engine For Ultralight and Light Sport' with about 4 sponsor adds before the guts of it. Hope that helps. This engine thing, whilst heaps more options than 20 years ago, is a mine field.

Cheers, fly safe.

Greg

Thanks for the reply, Greg. Those Suzuki engines are very popular in the US and have a great reliability reputation, but the 90 pound weight you quotes sounds wildly optimistic.

Thanks, I thought that when I heard it but, hell, gotta take it at face value. I may well have heard it wrong and if I did I apologise for misleading you. I hope Eric is able to help you if I did.

Greg

While browsing I saw a Suzuki GSX1400 engine mod being used in France. Redrive on the l/h side ( driven from the output shaft) Looked the duck's guts. Not hugely heavy and about 115hp. You could also use the hyabusa @ 160hp? I didn't ask but maybe the redrive only is available. With the VIC Roads and others WOVR stupidity going on all around the country you can get a nearly new M/C engine for a few hundred bucks.. Same with Beemers and Take off.................

Thanks for the reply, Greg. Those Suzuki engines are very popular in the US and have a great reliability reputation, but the 90 pound weight you quotes sounds wildly optimistic.

Would be a 1.3 Suzuki G13BB no doubt, about 105 kgs fully dressed for car use and around 90hp .

BB is SOHC 4 valver while the B is DOHC and a bit heavier but 100hp.

There is an A model as well but not reccomended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_G_engine#G13

I can buy these very economically here as they are still used by the thousands in taxis and have considered them as part of my lineup.

there is a Belgian plane called the calypso that has a few interesting moto conversions, one based off an sv650 Vtwin.

Couldn't open the picture, but the numbers look appealing. I am guilty of lusting after an Sv650 at the racetrack. They sound great-like a bike should- and are set out even more neatly than a Ducati.

With 103 HP on their aircooled 1200 cc engine they have reached the practical limit for an air cooled two valve of that size.

FOUR valved heads have always needed to be liquid cooled to survive really. They get too hot between the exhaust valves. There are exceptions (Speedway engines on alcohol etc)

Four valve heads are not a new thing. They were around in the early teens and so were desmodromic valves (1913 Delage ) nev

• Informative 1

Harley Davidson has just finished making a Liquid cool V twin motor for its touring range.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

The Harley engines are already notoriously heavy, even without water cooling.

Couldn't open the picture, but the numbers look appealing. I am guilty of lusting after an Sv650 at the racetrack. They sound great-like a bike should- and are set out even more neatly than a Ducati.

So, can I safely assume that they are articially restricted to comply as a LAMs motorcycle?

I'd like to get a V65, as it will bolt straight in to replace the V50 and maybe help me climb a little better.

M61A1. They are not actually that heavy. the Buell XB12 ss long is under 200 Kgs Some of the frames are (on the tourers) but all tourers are heavy. The heavy parts are the flywheels and the gearbox innards. The rest is alloy. Push rod engines can be lighter and less bulky. Some have balancer shafts and that adds weight but they are not rare either. Nev