D-Motor

geoffreywh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The D motor is still new and time will sort out things as Jabiru did in the early days. But the Camit motor is a Jab with updates and that is way I am going, Rotax for me is just mater of if I could afford the spare parts, $12,000 for a crankcase etc. would have me worried. Camit is where the future is for me.

The warranty was basically worthless with any and all problems blamed on the owner, installation, maintenance, the way it was flown, the fuel - anything but poor design or quality control.

Unbelievable!

• Agree 1

However you base it on the fact that Jabiru are local and easily contacted, which is certainly not the case here in Europe. I used a Jabiru 2200 hyd tappet engine for several years which was fairly reliable but sadly lacking in power. Attempts to contact the factory with any queries were a waste of time and the local dealer is expensive and doesn't have a great reputation for customer relations. I would guess that now Camit are setting up as an alternative source they could be easier to deal with, but the Jab engine could yet become an orphan over here. The warranty was basically worthless with any and all problems blamed on the owner, installation, maintenance, the way it was flown, the fuel - anything but poor design or quality control.

I am very sorry to hear of your bad personal experiences with this motor. You'd expect that one would get a much better back up service for the big dollars that was paid for the engine!!

• 1 year later...

Is there a reason this thread has gone quiet? Is there another thread or newsgroup that has info on the D-Motor?

I am building a Jabiru J230 and am considering the 6-cylinder LF-39.

Wayne

• More 1

Is there a reason this thread has gone quiet? Is there another thread or newsgroup that has info on the D-Motor?I am building a Jabiru J230 and am considering the 6-cylinder LF-39.

Wayne

I am not sure where Nick has gone, but I got a lot of information off him 12 months ago. He has a wealth of data on his D-Motor and its installation. It would be good if he could give an update on current hours etc. I had actually ordered a D-Motor but cancelled due to some local issues.

Is there a reason this thread has gone quiet? Is there another thread or newsgroup that has info on the D-Motor?I am building a Jabiru J230 and am considering the 6-cylinder LF-39.

Wayne

Don't know about the d motor but there are some treads about fitting rotax's in the Jab airframes and being happy.

Cheers

Mike

I too as a Jabiru 160C owner had been watching this thread as the years of uncertainty now drift on with CASA's restrictions.

As each month ticks but the resale value of my Jabiru diminishes quicker than other aircraft and there seems to be no clear end in site.

There is a possible market opportunity for other engine manufactures including ROTAX to take the engine market share.

I still watch this thread in the hope D-Motor would come out with a conversion package.

A complete package would have to containing:

1. Actual all up costs worked out and fixed in AUD, depending on model of Jabiru

2. This would include D-Motor engine landed in Australia

3. Parts like modified cowls and hidden extras.

4. An approved workshop to handle the actual mechanical conversion.

5. Predefined modification approval of RA-AUS / CASA as a class of aircraft to keep "24-" rego, not one off orphan change overs.

Unfortunately the Jabirus so far with engine (ROTAX) changes by various workshops have all different pricing and single orphan approval, the normal person can't work with that.

For Jabiru owners like myself if we have the opportunity to take our aircraft to a workshop for a week or so and for a fixed price the conversion is done and we pay the money and can fly away it, I could weigh up the options and justify the investment.

Like other Jabiru owners I will now sit back quietly and watch how the whole CASA & Jabiru unfolds in the coming years.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

I'm still alive and flying!

Currently have 220 hrs run on the D-Motor and going well, performance is still good and way ahead of the Jabiru it replaced.

My Jab 2200 is still for sale with no takers which might give you an idea of their reputation here, but I know of a few successful CAMIT rebuilds.

The D-Motor is starting to slowly pick up sales in the UK and Europe with several airframe manufacturers either testing or already offering it as an option, and I would guess there are 5 engines now flying in the UK. The sport aircraft market here is fairly depressed and I don't think there are many sales of any make airframes or engines. The bad weather over recent months isn't helping either!

All I know of D-Motor Australia is what is on their website and under the " installations" menu on D-Motor website, you probably know more than me.

I have flown behind the 6 cylinder in a fairly unsorted trial installation with a poorly matched prop and marginal cooling, but it had loads of power, was smooth and worth buying for the sound alone. I believe the 6 cyl installation with 125hp will still weigh about the same as a Rotax 912 set-up. There is a German helicopter manufacturer who is using it and putting up hours rapidly on their factory aircraft, see http://www.edm-aerotec.de

Nick

• Like 2

I'm still alive and flying!Currently have 220 hrs run on the D-Motor and going well, performance is still good and way ahead of the Jabiru it replaced.

My Jab 2200 is still for sale with no takers which might give you an idea of their reputation here, but I know of a few successful CAMIT rebuilds.

The D-Motor is starting to slowly pick up sales in the UK and Europe with several airframe manufacturers either testing or already offering it as an option, and I would guess there are 5 engines now flying in the UK. The sport aircraft market here is fairly depressed and I don't think there are many sales of any make airframes or engines. The bad weather over recent months isn't helping either!

All I know of D-Motor Australia is what is on their website and under the " installations" menu on D-Motor website, you probably know more than me.

I have flown behind the 6 cylinder in a fairly unsorted trial installation with a poorly matched prop and marginal cooling, but it had loads of power, was smooth and worth buying for the sound alone. I believe the 6 cyl installation with 125hp will still weigh about the same as a Rotax 912 set-up. There is a German helicopter manufacturer who is using it and putting up hours rapidly on their factory aircraft, see http://www.edm-aerotec.de

Nick

Does anyone know (roughly) how many D Motors are in use Down Under?

The bad weather over recent months isn't helping either!

Yup, those on the Southern Hemisphere might not understand what we are going through this winter up here, thank goodness my city is virtually wind free.

• 1 year later...

Thread revival.

I like the look of this engine.

What's the latest on it. The last post was over 18 months ago.

Reliability

Number operating worldwide / and in Aus.

Any issues

6 cyl version

Actual fuel flow figures 4cyl / 6cyl

Cost of operating compared to Rotax 912

I read a few pages back, someone ordered one in Aus a while back, then cancelled the order. Some issue in Aus?

Thanks.

Yes, his experiences would put me off if I were considering the D-Motor (which I wasn't).

Just bear in mind that Dennis bought one of the first D-Motors from the production line. Now that two years have gone by, we hope that D-Motor have sorted out many of the teething troubles.

Just bear in mind that Dennis bought one of the first D-Motors from the production line. Now that two years have gone by, we hope that D-Motor have sorted out many of the teething troubles.

Sounds oddly familiar :)

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Kyle.

-----------------------------------

That's the only recent Info I can find on this engine.

That's a bit strange considering back in 2012 there was a bit of talk on the LF26 and the nearly released LF39.

Internet searches on reviews or reliability draw a blank.

Wonder what has happened. I was hoping there would be quite a few 4 & 6 cylinder models clocking up some hours so we could get an idea on reliability & cost of operating.

If cold water is cracking heads in Sweden in Summer, I wouldn't want that engine in a Swedish Autumn or Winter. Very strange explanation of that engines issues.

There must be plenty more of these engines out in aircraft now (5 years later).

If anyone finds anything, please post here.

Thanks.

It's pretty difficult to give a yes or no to these considerations. I have no idea how well that motor is designed. It's compact and in production and we know the price. The six will be much smoother as they always are.. The UL is a more conventional thing, that looks as if it would cost a lot more to manufacture. Nev

My D-Motor LF26 still going well at 395 hrs.with the original single ECU setup. Power is considerably more than the Jab 2200 and fuel burn pretty much the same at 13-14 L/hr for my installation.

In terms of redundancy, I don't see that a single ECU is any worse than a single carb which is what most light aero engines run with and at least with EFI you don't have icing worries.

I have done in-flight stop and restart with no problem, other than slowing enough so the prop wasn't windmilling before hitting start to avoid damage to the starter gears.

To me it sounds like some of the problems above are installation related rather than strictly engine, but I would have to agree that their current documentation is very basic which doesn't help .

Don't understand the cold water cracking saga, I run without a t/stat summer and winter and haven't had a problem yet (nothing like tempting fate!). Water runs mid 80*C and oil 85-95 *C depending on engine load. At the request of the factory, a full power climb for almost 5 minutes (I hit our local ATC ceiling) got the oil up to 106*C and water still under 100*C with my cooling system, but this isn't something you would do very often.

I have posted before that I flew the 6 cylinder in Belgium in a very unsorted installation. A prop that couldn't handle the power and poor cooling, but it still went well, was smooth and sounded great. I believe the main user of the 6 so far is a German helicopter company, not sure how many are up and running.

Nick

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

My D-Motor LF26 still going well at 395 hrs.with the original single ECU setup. Power is considerably more than the Jab 2200 and fuel burn pretty much the same at 13-14 L/hr for my installation.In terms of redundancy, I don't see that a single ECU is any worse than a single carb which is what most light aero engines run with and at least with EFI you don't have icing worries.

I have done in-flight stop and restart with no problem, other than slowing enough so the prop wasn't windmilling before hitting start to avoid damage to the starter gears.

To me it sounds like some of the problems above are installation related rather than strictly engine, but I would have to agree that their current documentation is very basic which doesn't help .

Don't understand the cold water cracking saga, I run without a t/stat summer and winter and haven't had a problem yet (nothing like tempting fate!). Water runs mid 80*C and oil 85-95 *C depending on engine load. At the request of the factory, a full power climb for almost 5 minutes (I hit our local ATC ceiling) got the oil up to 106*C and water still under 100*C with my cooling system, but this isn't something you would do very often.

I have posted before that I flew the 6 cylinder in Belgium in a very unsorted installation. A prop that couldn't handle the power and poor cooling, but it still went well, was smooth and sounded great. I believe the main user of the 6 so far is a German helicopter company, not sure how many are up and running.

Nick

Thanks xair. That's good to hear a positive report.

Are there many other D-Motors operating near you?

Looks like the 'cold water cracking heads' was false. He said it was oil leaking past a rod. Check Kyles Savannah link a few posts back.

Cheers.

Looks like the 'cold water cracking heads' was false. He said it was oil leaking past a rod. .

Not quite, it was a crack in the bore, he stated he thought from water cold shock.