Vale Dick Nell

For some a larrikin, for others an inspiration, Goulburn identity and well-known aerobatic pilot and Biplane maestro Dick Nell passed away yesterday.

His son has posted a short movie on Youtube:

Thoughts are with his family.

• Like 5

An Aussie icon, a true gentle man, a free spirit. This man was one of the inspirations that got me flying a few years ago... He wrote and self published 2 books. One about an overland motor cycle trip he made from England to Australia many years ago (Dick was a motor cycle nut - fearless), and the other book is about his experiences in the early days of flight in the southern states with his beloved Stomp and Tiger moth. He tell of the time he took the world aerobatic championship in England and many other anecdotes about himself and other early pilots. He outlines his barnstorming days etc. This man, and his attitude, to me, is the quintessential Australian larrikan in the best sense of the word. He will be sorely missed but never forgotten.

Rest well Dick, you've eared it..

• Like 1

How sad, I met him at the Jamestown air show in 2008 I think it was. A lovely gentleman. I have some photos of him and his aircraft I will post when I get home. If not appropriate, let me know.

I felt quite moved watching that video.

So sad to hear of his passing, but what a great video for the family to look back on in the years to come.

RIP

Thanks so much for posting it volksy

G'day All, I was at Goulburn airport about 10 or 12 years ago having a look at a VP-1. Dick taxied up in his Stampe, it was a low hanging cloudy day about noon. I went over , introduced myself and asked did he do joy flights? He replied, yes and invited me into the front hole. As we taxied out he asked whether I fancied a $10 or $20 dollar flight? I replied avidly, a$20 one. We took off and climbed about 800 ft to cloud base and he asked did I wish to do a loop? I replied very eagerly, yes! We then dived to pick up speed and began about 15 minutes of very gentle loops, rolls, stall turns and the like. When I thought that we would be heading back he descended to about 200 ft over the Lake Bathurst area and we spent another 1/4 hr chasing ducks off ponds and generally having enormous fun. Eventually we did land and as we climbed out of the aircraft I asked him what sort of money he wanted for such a splendid 40 or so minutes. Completely straight faced he said $20! What a jewel of a bloke - we shan't see the like of him for some time. Vale Dick Nell indeed and we salute you. Regards to all and his family as well, Don

• Like 5

I saw first saw Dick about 30 years ago when I was still a young kid. I believe the Stampe had not been long restored. It was at Goulburn airport where I was with my father and his mate who owned Tiger Moth VH-IHU. They were doing a photo shoot with the 2 Bipes flying in formation. After the photo shoot Dick treated us to an impromptue aerobatics display, some of which was pretty low level. I still fondly remember watching the Stampe doing it's slow & graceful aero's performing so beautifully under Dick's proficient touch. It made a huge impression on a young fella like me. It was the earliest recollection of seeing an aircraft doing aero's that I have, a very memorable day as it was also that day that I got my first ride in the Tiger. I was small enough that they left one of the side doors open so I could see out!

RIP Dick.

What a great video....Gotta ask... what is he doing when he gives the motor a good smack with a stick at 3.46 on the video before starting?

I thought this too but was afraid to ask 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

• 3 months later...