I pads

shafs64

thinking of getting an ipad. And will be useing it when i fly. what i need to know is how the map systems work ? is it like GPS or does it work off phone towers

And do you need a particular version of the ipad.

thanks

You will need the 3G/WiFi version as it has inbuilt GPS, it you just get the WiFi only vxersion you will have to buy a plugin GPS . I have the 3G/WiFi 16gb iPad3. I tether it to my android Telstra phone for internet access when I need it. Works well.

• Like 1

thinking of getting an ipad. And will be useing it when i fly. what i need to know is how the map systems work ? is it like GPS or does it work off phone towersAnd do you need a particular version of the ipad.

thanks

You will need a WiFi + 3G IPad , as the one without 3G doesn't have a GPS. The GPS is 'assisted' by the 3G network to get a faster ,more accurate fix . I have a 32 GB model but many use a 16 GB . You will need to download software eg OzRunawys or similar to use in the a/c.

Bob

I am going to put my tight arse point on this one.... If you are wanting to save some money and are getting an iPad for your flying then this is what I did......

Purchase a second hand IPad 1 WiFi only (no 3G) on E-bay for about $250. Then purchase an external GPS for the iPad from $45 to $100 ,, I purchased the Tom Tom at $45. I then use my phone or IPhone and tether it to my iPad for live Internet on my current phone plan.. All works really really well for under $300.. Also keep in mind that having a separate GPS will allow you iPad to last a lot longer on its batts.....

If you purchase an IPad with 3G and WiFi you will need an additional phone account for your iPad (more cost). If you choose to use a pre paid plan the Internet is charged at a really really high rate. The IPad will cost lots more and really do nothing better in terms of running OzRunways.. Oh and the batter will go flat in no time and you will need to always run it from power in the plane...

I get 12 hours running between charges on my external GPS and the iPad runs all day just with WiFi running to talk to my phones Internet. As my phone is an IPhone I also have a copy of OzRunways running in that also as a backup...

I also run a Garmin GPS196 as a third backup just in case my compass gets James and I am not able to use the old outdated method of Navigation.......Oh look out here come the rocks and stones LOL

Mardy's view

• Like 1

I am going to put my tight **** point on this one.... If you are wanting to save some money and are getting an iPad for your flying then this is what I did......Purchase a second hand IPad 1 WiFi only (no 3G) on E-bay for about $250. Then purchase an external GPS for the iPad from $45 to $100 ,, I purchased the Tom Tom at $45. I then use my phone or IPhone and tether it to my iPad for live Internet on my current phone plan.. All works really really well for under $300.. Also keep in mind that having a separate GPS will allow you iPad to last a lot longer on its batts.....

If you purchase an IPad with 3G and WiFi you will need an additional phone account for your iPad (more cost). If you choose to use a pre paid plan the Internet is charged at a really really high rate. The IPad will cost lots more and really do nothing better in terms of running OzRunways.. Oh and the batter will go flat in no time and you will need to always run it from power in the plane...

I get 12 hours running between charges on my external GPS and the iPad runs all day just with WiFi running to talk to my phones Internet. As my phone is an IPhone I also have a copy of OzRunways running in that also as a backup...

I also run a Garmin GPS196 as a third backup just in case my compass gets James and I am not able to use the old outdated method of Navigation.......Oh look out here come the rocks and stones LOL

Mardy's view

My IPad lasts at least 4 hours when using OzRunways . By then we have usually done enough " stick hours " for a couple of oldies and recharge that night . It is not necessary to have your WiFi + 3G IPad connected to an ..... " additional phone account " , as it still has a GPS , it just works a bit faster when connected to the 3G network !

Bob

My IPad lasts at least 4 hours when using OzRunways . By then we have usually done enough " stick hours " for a couple of oldies and recharge that night . It is not necessary to have your WiFi + 3G IPad connected to an ..... " additional phone account " , as it still has a GPS , it just works a bit faster when connected to the 3G network ! Bob

Sorry Bob but that's not the case in a Wi Fi only IPad. It does not have 3G nore does it have a GPS. Tis is the reason for my advice to teacher to a phone. If you have a 3G iPhone (seems you do) then yes you have a GPS and you will move on the OzRunways map. A WiFi iPad will not do this (no GPS).... The reason we teapot her to a phone or use 3G has little to do with navigation... It allows us to get Internet for live weather, NOTAMS and map download if we did no do it before departing. Internet or 3G will give us faster Gps at start up only as it allows the IPad to get a rough location of where you are using phone towers. It then knows satellite locations based on that information and will speed up satellite lock ins.. This is what is called assisted GPS.. There has been lots of misunderstanding for some reason in regards to how iPads and thier Gps and network options are... This subject has been covered at some of the OzRunways Seminars and can be read about on thier website... I hope this info is helpful to others that are looking at an IPad option. Several options a greatly different price points. For me I mainly wanted an IPad for OzRunways so my above option was the most cost effective way of doing what is need....

Regards

Mardy

Sorry Bob but that's not the case in a Wi Fi only IPad. It does not have 3G nore does it have a GPS. Tis is the reason for my advice to teacher to a phone. If you have a 3G iPhone (seems you do) then yes you have a GPS and you will move on the OzRunways map. A WiFi iPad will not do this (no GPS).... The reason we teapot her to a phone or use 3G has little to do with navigation... It allows us to get Internet for live weather, NOTAMS and map download if we did no do it before departing. Internet or 3G will give us faster Gps at start up only as it allows the IPad to get a rough location of where you are using phone towers. It then knows satellite locations based on that information and will speed up satellite lock ins.. This is what is called assisted GPS.. There has been lots of misunderstanding for some reason in regards to how iPads and thier Gps and network options are... This subject has been covered at some of the OzRunways Seminars and can be read about on thier website... I hope this info is helpful to others that are looking at an IPad option. Several options a greatly different price points. For me I mainly wanted an IPad for OzRunways so my above option was the most cost effective way of doing what is need....

Regards

Mardy[/quote

Mardy ,

Read my post # 3 .

Bob

Regards

Mardy

Not sure I understand your comment Bob but re-reading my post gave me a laugh. Seems the iPad spell check wants to change words to different things like teapot...???? What the! Must go back and look at my posts before posting them. I think shafs64 understood what I was explaining... It's simply more cost effective way of doing the same thing..

All good fun

Mardy

Maybe some are a little confused as to the running on the GPS. I have an iPad 3 3G (4G???)16GB. I turn off the "Mobile Data" before departure as this kills the phone and 3G signals. It allows the GPS to operate without the assistance of 3G. I have had no problems doing this. Don't be under the impression that you need to be within 3G coverage or tethered to a wifi network for the GPS to function.

• Like 1

Maybe some are a little confused as to the running on the GPS. I have an iPad 3 3G (4G???)16GB. I turn off the "Mobile Data" before departure as this kills the phone and 3G signals. It allows the GPS to operate without the assistance of 3G. I have had no problems doing this. Don't be under the impression that you need to be within 3G coverage or tethered to a wifi network for the GPS to function.

That is totally correct Ryan. The 3G has nothing really to do with the GPS. 3G just allows you to see the live weather and live NOTAMS. This can be done by tethering to a phone,,, 3G just means Internet...... However after saying that 3G will allow for faster satellite acquisition when you turn on you iPad and use GPS. this is helpfully when you turn on more than 100 km from you last point of Turing off. 3G will tell the iPad your rough location based on cellular tower triangulation. This then helps the GPS understand satellite locations without scanning for them. This allows for faster locking of the 12 - 14 sats the iPad or external GPS locks onto... This as stated in my last post is called assisted GPS... Not totally needed as you say, but usefull at times... Having Internet via tether or 3G is great with the live weather radar running in OZrunways..... Love that program Thanks Bazz..... Gotta be nice to him as he is in my brother in laws hangar and so am I at the moment.... My hangar is full at the moment until my trike sells and a renters hangar is built....... We should have an OzRunways tips and tricks section.... Very popular program.....

Forget wifi apart from tethering to your iPhone for latest weather, notams and radar, external gps cuts error from 100m down to less than ten. Awesome to fly with as all maps are at your finger tips (as long as paper copies are hand for the case boys....) and as the picture changes outside you can work out where to get fuel, insert waypoints into your plan and do it all on the run without too much inside time if you know what I mean - you probably guessed that I love mine :)

• Like 1

Ok...so this oldie is trying to join the 21st century and has purchased an iPhone to compliment her iPad. Ozrunways is loaded on both.

I also have a laptop which currently connects to the Internet using a next G wireless dongle.

My question is "How do I use my iPad, which has heaps of data allowance on it, to connect the laptop to the Internet so I can cancel the wireless thingy subscription?"

Thanks

Kaz

Ok...so this oldie is trying to join the 21st century and has purchased an iPhone to compliment her iPad. Ozrunways is loaded on both.I also have a laptop which currently connects to the Internet using a next G wireless dongle.

My question is "How do I use my iPad, which has heaps of data allowance on it, to connect the laptop to the Internet so I can cancel the wireless thingy subscription?"

Thanks

Kaz

Hi Kaz.

If you have the new iPad and a Telstra sim, the steps are here - https://help.telstra.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21471

I hate Apple products, but Bas made me buy one for OzRunways.

He thinks it's funny.

I found the iPad very good I run with ozrunway found it to be great , what I do is my flight Plan on the I pad then print my plan so I have a hard copy with me . I found that the gps works well without 3 g but the 3 g is an asset when the weather turn sower great for down loading the notams For me it is great for Email and banking on the run there not much that it won't do eg photos videos It a great tool

I found the iPad very good I run with ozrunway found it to be great , what I do is my flight Plan on the I pad then print my plan so I have a hard copy with me . I found that the gps works well without 3 g but the 3 g is an asset when the weather turn sower great for down loading the notams For me it is great for Email and banking on the run there not much that it won't do eg photos videos It a great tool

Ok...so this oldie is trying to join the 21st century and has purchased an iPhone to compliment her iPad. Ozrunways is loaded on both.I also have a laptop which currently connects to the Internet using a next G wireless dongle.

Thanks

Kaz

Hi Kazz.... This is called a WiFi hotspot. You make the IPad the hotspot and then any other computer, iPad, iPhone etc can connect to the Internet via you iPad.....

Here is the catch.... You can only do it with the new IPad 3... The older iPads are not able to do it unless you jailbreak the... Jail breaking is a hack to the iPad that allows it to do all sorts off good things.. You can lookup jailbreaking on Google, but you would need some computer knowledge to do it... Hope this helps and have a look as you might fully understand and it will allow you to do what you want.... Saves money too

Mardy