almost home

flyerme

"The real issues here have not been covered yet. If no-one wants to then I won't be doing it.."

Nev

You are correct and it is all about the level of training/instruction and attitude. Probably a thread all on its own though.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got her home today with the help of an instuctor...thank you so much Thirsty for helping build a lil bump tolorence..... you have a heart of gold and are a very knolagable instructor...made a nice landing on my strip,and she,s home...ahh.....weather was so nice I had to take a solo run and made a very nice greaser with 1/2 runway spare....great little plane..

thank you So much Thirsty,words could not describe my gratatude.

• Like 5

should mention Not sure what some you are thinking,I love these forums ! They have/do/and will continue to teach me things not completely covered in all the training,,I keep coming back to read all the positive and knowledgeable answers...And my spelling? hey what can I say I left school at 13,lived on the streets then became a grease monkey...So spelling is not my forte. but if you need your oil changed?lol remember we never stop learning and I'm testament to that.

• Like 5

Great stuff flyerme. Never let anyone put you down for not meeting their expectations. I am glad Thirsty helped you out. They are a great bunch of guys at Murray Bridge. I look forward to buzzing your strip and then landing at MB for a coffee with the guys. Start my first Nav Saturday. Fly safe and I look forward to meeting you one day.

• Like 2

And Tim landed at his strip not me! I barely had to do anything he's pretty much got it covered. Keep flying in less than perfect conditions mate and you'll soon wonder "what bumps!".

• Like 4

flyerme

don't worry about the spelling mate - its what someone says and means; tis what most of want to hear .............. not how its said

their wouldn't be one person on hear that hasn't made a spelling mistake somewhere along the line ....................... or would there ??

• Like 1

flyermedon't worry about the spelling mate - its what someone says and means; tis what most of want to hear .............. not how its said

their wouldn't be one person on hear that hasn't made a spelling mistake somewhere along the line ....................... or would there ??

You're right, I think I maede one in 1986.

• Like 1

And Tim landed at his strip not me! I barely had to do anything he's pretty much got it covered. Keep flying in less than perfect conditions mate and you'll soon wonder "what bumps!".

Tim (as I believe is the pilot) this comment is not directed at you.

This post and you wonder why people get up in arms about the level of training/instruction etc. Tim (on his own I believe for all but the last leg) has just gone and picked up an aircraft flown it 170 NM+ and you post "Tim landed at his strip and I barely had to do anything" of course you shouldn't have had to do anything, flying is not a game to be played and its really good if you finish, its serious and before you go off into the wide blue younder you are supposed to be competent (maybe not comfortable) to handle all situations (high winds, x-winds, crap weather and turbulnce) on your own.

If this post is reflective of RAA then the sooner it is incorporated into GA and the training required is the same as a GA PPL the safer we will all be, and before you all get on your high horses about how there are GA pilots that don't meet the grade as well I'm well aware of that fact also.

RAA alows us (me included, although I fly to GA requirements all the time including radio calls and area broardcasts on the relevent frequencies to allow all airspace users to know where I am and where I'm going at all times, hemispherical VFR levels both above and below 5000 ft to improve the safety margins i.e. even thousands + 500 and odd thousands + 500) a very broard operting range and if we want to keep that privilege we all need to pick up the game and get our Sh.t together before it is taken away.

I know a lot of you will not agree with me and I don't care if you do or you don't (toughen up princesses and deal with it), if you continue the way you are going you won't have an organisation.

Allan

(anyone wants to discuss outside this forum I'll be happy to do so- 0429 674 790)

Allan,

You don't know him, me or his strip. He was landing a new (to him) type of aircraft on a very short strip hence his desire to have me with him for that last leg - what the hell's wrong with that? You think all RAA pilots should be 100% capable of handling anything? I thought the Pilot Cert was a licence to learn and that is exactly what Tim is doing in his new aircraft.

I'm an instructor and I'm satisfied when each of my students gets his certificate that they can handle the MAJORITY of conditions they will come across.

Anyway well done Tim on finally taking your son for his first flight with you, I bet he was wrapped!

• Like 5

I did use G.A regs for flying,I sat on evens +500 =2500 ft,I used radio constantly even while flying 15 nm past Kerang I annouced who I was ,where I was and where I was Heading,I was told to do this as its good airmanship,,I flew a track to the right of my heading (in case another plane was on the same heading in opersite direction),I used all avail info maps ERSA ,airservices etc.. I flew all my legs with Nil wind ( No Bump TOLORENCE) So I would have left my plane at Pinnaroo untill the weather was calm but that would have left my plane exsposed to some harsh weather pending.So I was offered the assistance of an COMPERTANT instructor soley to build a better Bump tolorence and make sure I have No trouble with my strip ( for those who havn;t followed my theads I have a small tight 300 mtr strip..So with a new bigger faster Plane It was wiser to have some one exspierienced on bourd (better to be safe than sorry). I had No trouble and so I went back up later for a solo and greased her in.. I will continue my learning curve as we all do.I have to much livin to do,Like a few of us , I don,t like aerobatics ,or any g,force for that matter,and I also believe fear is good,,It keeps us safe? look at some of these pilots flying 2 ft of water and alike,to conferdent and complete dissregaurd for life..I have a 5 year old son An WILL watch him grow,So If I have doubts about my flying ability,I like to improve ,I was happy to have another Insrtuctor Judging me and informing me on about different interperations between CFI"s ( which amazes me )we put so much trust in our CFI,our life ..So you fly religously like they tought you..As I did,"if see a patch of fog climb above it"? Ok boss.I,ll do that .if see fog climb above it,.....any way I think its a good thing to fly with some other CFI,s to get there perspective and Idea's ,point of view etc.....Im much much wiser after this flight and was pointed out,you,ll learn alot and be a better safer pilot after..Agree,learnt one hell of a lot on this journy and can now relax a little and start enjoying the plane BETWEEN MY 2 LIL STRIPS.. Not havong So much going on,IE new plane ,faster,bigger,so many gauges,first major Nav,unfamilure elements,stay on track don,t get lost, saty clear of milatry space ,modle rocket club,and so on,so had alot of anx and would have perferred LIKE I ASKED ON HERE REMEMBER for a co-pilot in new soroundings, but was told by my CFI ,whats the point have having a NAV endourcment if you are not going to use it.point was taken and Here I am somewhat confussed,enlightend,little safer,and a hell of a lot more consouse...what a learning curve and we all remember that first real long solo NAV ,but in a fresh plane?,anyway she,s back home and Pa came this morning and gave it the big thumbs up....wanna fly PA,, can it hold 150kg? lol he to big for little planes...

• Like 3

Im a

Allan,You don't know him, me or his strip. He was landing a new (to him) type of aircraft on a very short strip hence his desire to have me with him for that last leg - what the hell's wrong with that? You think all RAA pilots should be 100% capable of handling anything? I thought the Pilot Cert was a licence to learn and that is exactly what Tim is doing in his new aircraft.

I'm an instructor and I'm satisfied when each of my students gets his certificate that they can handle the MAJORITY of conditions they will come across.

Anyway well done Tim on finally taking your son for his first flight with you, I bet he was wrapped!

little imbarrassed to say it bought tears to my eyes,,He was so excited and was pointing at a car .look dad look at the little car,,can we go to space Dad?,,sorry son where going to land now.."NO DAD NO NO I want to fly,,Can we fly over KINDY?lol..made a perfect landing in front of one nervouse mummy... Now My son WIL NOT talk on a phone,never has after the flight I rang Pa and my son asked for the phone he then told Pa "I flew in daddy's plane up in the sky love you bye" pure JOY people pure joy...again thank you Thirsty A true gentlman and happy to right the wrongs....

• Like 4

I would hate for this thread to degrade into an RAA or a GA bash. I think Tim had concerns about the small strip and taking his new (to him) aeroplane in there. Confidence is not handed to you with your certificate. We dont (and neither do ga) give you a cert or a licence because you are prepared to face all that the world of Aviation has to throw at you. Its not a certificate that denotes excellent flying ability, its a certificate to say you can operate the aeroplane safely and to a standard.

As thirsty said, its a licence to learn. There is nothing more dangerous then someone who knows "a little" about a subject.

Yes, perhaps Tim could use some more knowledge regarding weather etc, but he had the sence to realize his OWN limitations with regards to flying into a small strip in a new aeroplane. That is EXACTLY the sort of thing we are after. Knowing your limits, erring on the side of caution is an excellent example of the 'attitude' that instructors of all brands of flying try to hammer into new pilots.

I was a shocked as anyone with the original post RE the cloud, and Tim could attest to the fact I Pm'd him with quite brutal and confronting messages, but look at the positives that have come out of it. Tim is now educated (the hard way) in something he was lacking. An Instructor, out of the kindness of his heart and a genuine care for the bloke, called him up and helped him out. Can anyones honestly say this would have happened if this was a GA story? This is what the RAA is all about. THIS is the difference between your low paid (if at all) RAA instructor who does it for the love and the genuine care for your wellbeing, and your average GA instructor on his way to the shiney big jets.

Cheers

• Like 6

I don't see any difference between RA and GA, and the statistics say the same so that is a dead argument anyway. Trying to improve safety is the common denominator, and this site has had some notable successes, as painful as they might have seemed at the time.

• Like 3

Getting thirsty in for that landing with the unfamiliar plane and the short runway is exactly the type of thinking that should apply. practical risk management... 100% with Motz here, so read his post again..

The son's reaction to the flight is typical little kids wide eyed wonder stuff, great to hear. Keep studying Meetiorologee Flyerme. The AIR is your medium (bumps and all). Nev

• Like 3

Hey guys my new copy of Jim Davis,PPL book arrived today,,,wow easy reading ,easy to understand .chapter/modules on every thing including easy to understand MET..looks pretty interesting but no no after I go throw dust back over the plane to keep some drag!lol thank you guys.