A Riveting Read!

ayavner

.... well, not really, but as I have almost 2 hours of commute in the mornings and after work, I am forcing myself to read the Operations Manual cover-to-cover.

Obviously a dry read, but I think worth it. I have always kept it handy for a reference, but it is interesting to note as I go through it how many of the questions I have had that I didn't think would be in there are right there in black and white!

Lots of things i didn't know too!

To be honest, I am skipping the bits that I don't feel are relevant at this time, such as requirements for water operations or that kinda thing. Also, I reckon it would be less likely to affect weight and balance if we could tear out all the sheets that say "deliberately left blank" 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

So for the sake of discussion - anyone else done this or feel inspired to now? What are some favourite nuggets? I'll start off - did you know that in the section of endorsements and qualifications, there is an "Advanced Pilot Award"?

Discuss.

Yes I did know there is an AP "endorsement". I would have thought CFI's etc would have one, but I don't know for sure, just what is involved. Can't be that hard... deliberately left blank is often encountered in Aeroplane type docs.. perhaps it is for that effect, or being more kind, perhaps it is for section and page numbering.. when something may be added later... Nev

Yes, I did know about the AP endorsement and I hope to do it in the not too distant.

The "deliberately left blank" is so that sections can be replaced without having to re-print all the following sections to readjust the pagination.

Haha, yes I know why the blank pages are like that, just a bit of fun.

Just trying to spur a bit of discussion (and possibly inspire some to re-read) on the manual. So what are some of your favourite nuggets of info that might be considered obscure? (though mine apparently wasn't)

I've never really understood about the APA endorsement, because to me it means nothing on a piece of plastic. Reading through the syllabus for the APA is what all pilots should have learnt anyway? I would have thought, well I did.

One a/c manual I have is quite detailed:

-Confirm your head is within 1" of touching the canopy before you take off [Dam, forgot to bring the tape measure again]

-In the event of fire, execute a precautionary landing as soon as possible [No thanks, I'll just stay up here and fry to death]

-When hand propping, the Varieze with nose down parking chocks itself, and the pusher prop blows you away from danger. [i 'll remember that the next time my tie or coat gets caught in the prop]

• Like 1

Best decal I saw one day was on a sun visor - said "Remove before flight" Really, are pilots that dumb?! blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

A lot of warnings on products are to protect the manufacturer from being sued. There will always be some DH who will try to use a toaster to brush his teeth.

• Like 1

A lot of warnings on products are to protect the manufacturer from being sued. There will always be some DH who will try to use a toaster to brush his teeth.

There's no such thing as a foolproof product. Mother nature will always "devolve" a bigger, better fool.

Best decal I saw one day was on a sun visor - said "Remove before flight" Really, are pilots that dumb?! blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Yes, two pilots in an executive jet in Germany started up, taxiied, and gave it full blast all the way down the runway, all the way to the fence, across a road and killed themselves, and dented the aircraft a bit.

Yes, I did know about the AP endorsement and I hope to do it in the not too distant.The "deliberately left blank" is so that sections can be replaced without having to re-print all the following sections to readjust the pagination.

Ironically, as soon as they print the following on a page: "this page has been left blank intentionally" ...it is no longer blank! 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif