Navigation

Ok all you knowledgeable people out there I need you wisdom. I am about to embark on Navs and flying out of my security blanket (airfield). What should I carry in the aircraft as far as safety and survival gear?(Already learnt to carry spare oil the hard way). What tips and hints can you give me to fly safely and navigate successfully? All help and hints greatly appreciated.

Presumably you are all checked out and done the training?

Lots of people have slightly different methods of going about the detail. DO plan well and draw lines on a WAC chart and have all your frequencies, and any particular features of the aerodrome available with your flight plan. Sometimes I will have a print of Google map of the immediate area, around a landing destination. Have good places to stow charts etc so that things don't fall on the floor. Keep ferrous objects away from your compass. Look for confirmation of wind direction all the time. Keep an eye out for suitable landing sites all the time. Manage your fuel and keep a track of it.. Nev

• Like 4

epirb/beacon (required by law anyways)

water

food

phone/portable radio.

gps (phone?) not for navigating, but handy if you get lost or come to grief

im sure some of the more experiance people will chime in with other good ideas too.

enjoy your navs... and remember... ITS FOR FUN :)

• Like 2

On the lines on your map draw arrow heads showing which direction you should be heading. Take a photocopy of the ERSA page of any aerodromes you are going to (Obviously still carry ERSA onboard). And number one - fly your calculated headings for the correct amount of time. Even if you didn't factor in wind changes once airborne you'd be surprised how close you can get by simply flying the flightplanned heading and time.

• Like 2

I normally print out the ersa aerodrome page for the aerodromes I will be landing at, passing over and my alternates (dont forget to plan the alternates!). I put these, with frequency, etc in a clear sleeved folder for quick reference. I also put a copy of my plan in there as well incase the one on the kneepad/whatever is lost or destroyed. (I also carry the ersa) Mark your maps as notified by the posters above. Carry a bottle of water because you will get dry and need a drink. Cary some nibbles as well. Mobile phone for emergencies, epirb, credit card and an amount of cash incase of fuel etc off site. Have fun, navs are great and add to the enjoyment and achievement levels tremendously. Once you have them under your belt and get the endorsement, then the country really opens up and the adventures start.

• Like 1

What should I carry in the aircraft as far as safety and survival gear?

1. Wear good walking shoes and tough-wearing clothes (no synthetic fabrics - cotton and wool)

2. Get a Tupperware container and make up a "Crash Box" containing:

a) 75mm wide x 2000mm long strips of brightly coloured cloth that you can use to lay out as ground signals.

b) a small mirror so you can make sunlight flashes

c) a box of matches or a cigarette lighter (put them in a little peppermint tin)

d) a small LED torch

e) a triangular bandage and some rolled bandages

f) a tube of antiseptic cream

g) a tube of sun screen

h) sheets of toilet paper

i) some cloth band-aids

j) an orienteering compass

k) a tube of insect repellant

l) the bladder from a wine cask - to carry water collected from ground sources

All these things will fit into a lunch-box sized container and the whole lot is not too heavy. You can keep it in your flight bag so you always have it. I've still got the one I made up in the later 70's.

Old Man Emu

• Like 3

another one i could mention, just a handy one... obviously take a pencil for recording when you arrive at your waypoint and turning points. I use a old style pencil (not a clutch pencil, although i do have one as a backup), and i've roughly marked out a scale on it, to measure against the wac without getting out the proper ruler. Also, i have taped a string to it, bright pink builders line, and tyed it to my kneeboard.. saves it falling on the floor.

A space blanket (aluminium foil survival blanket), a CD for a mirror, a white hat, a leatherman tool, a length of strong string, an old 35mm film canister of medicinal honey (what other quick-heal dressing can you eat as well?) a garbage bag (raincoat, partial sleeping bag, container).

A copy of the "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams" would be a good item to carry as it has (in large friendly letters) DON'T PANIC on the back cover. Be aware that late afternoons offer some really smooth flying conditions at Gawler. I went out after work today (11th Sep) and it was as smooth as silk. If you're on the ground by six, you'll have enough time to put the baby to bed before the light fails....

A copy of the "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams" would be a good item to carry as it has (in large friendly letters) DON'T PANIC on the back cover. Be aware that late afternoons offer some really smooth flying conditions at Gawler. I went out after work today (11th Sep) and it was as smooth as silk. If you're on the ground by six, you'll have enough time to put the baby to bed before the light fails....

and don't forget a towel.