Video of midair collision

Mesmerised? definitely needed some human factors training?

This sort of thing happens in the Moorabbin Training Area about once every couple of months. It's not a traffic density problem because usually only two aircraft are in the area.

This week two Cherokees were flying straight and level at 90 degrees to each other and straight ahead.

The lower one had the other on his right so was required to give way.

His vision upward was unrestricted.

They headed for the crossover point from about 1 Nm out, so no excuses for either of them at that point

They crossed about 100 feet apart.

Guest Howard Hughes

Haven't flown into Moorabbin for years, but flying into Bankstown scares the bejeesus out of me! ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

PS: With all these youtube videos, it sure makes the accident investigators job easier!

What do the Melbourne guys do ( in flight procedures) going through the point ormond area,I go through monitoring 135.7 ( Melbourne radar ) and then switch over to 123.0 for YMMB , I always have a crook neck from swiveling my head looking for traffic into YMMB and YMEN , as well as the meat bombers over ormond, I'm concerned that I'll miss a canopies away call while I'm listening to YMMB , or an inbound/departure to YMEN

Last time I went through I was just above ( maybe 500ft ) the DC3 from YMEN ,nice view but it felt close!

So any tips ?

Met

I have found a number of people in the Moorabbin training area who never left circuit frequency. Plus there is no compliance whatsoever about tracking directions and heights....I sympathise with the crook neck Met. It is just a case of eyes outside of the cockpit 99% of the time in that area.

• Like 1

Wow, pretty close alright ,not sure who would be in the wrong cause there's a lot of variables,,,,on the right frequency, altitudes , airspace types, none of which makes any difference to the dead guy ( if it went that way)Your up at Hervey Bay Crayon box, that's where I hail from, did my PPL at YHBA and my RAA cert at YMYB , how many hours before they let you loose on you're own in a trike? And if you do a lap of the island ,remember to go to the muticom not the ctaf ,lots of traffic up and down the east side :-) ask me how I know!!!

Orchid beach is a good spot to ,and a lot of the trike guys go to Pelican banks for stop over,all quite nice if the WX is kind

Cheers Met

Ps if your at the YHBA aero club tell gyro joe he's a friggin loon,,,from big matty :-)

I have completed 5.25hr, and am preparing to complete the rest of my hours in my recently acquired xt912, which should be registered next week. Really looking forward to it too!

Here is a recent photo of my demo flight two weeks ago... There will be many Fraser Island flights I am sure.

I have found a number of people in the Moorabbin training area who never left circuit frequency. Plus there is no compliance whatsoever about tracking directions and heights....

I have an interest in this area too. Can you expand on your comments please?

Well if the aircraft were in Australia, the aircraft which has the other aircraft on its right is required to give way.

But he seems to have been fixated forward and down.

There was plenty of time and clear vision to take avoiding action.