CASA vs RAA governance

shags_j

1. Don't know where you're getting your information from but I think that's way off. Local DAME pilot at the airport has issued several of the new style medicals and it's a one-page document with the sign-off that you're fit to drive a motor vehicle. Any RA licence holder who signs the "fit to drive a motor vehicle statement" should legally have had the same exam done by a GP first or they'll find themselves getting sued should something go wrong.2. You'd be up for the same costs if you paid a LAME/L2 to inspect your RA-Aus registered aircraft. Some people actually do not do their own maintenance and have no desire to. I will never vote for that requirement to be removed - there are too many aircraft of questionable integrity in the air as it is.

3. Not sure whether the CFI or the CASA staff member was confused but there will be no "new licence" so to speak. Simply a removal or alteration of the restrictions that are currently in place - such as the alterations to the requirement for a medical that is currently underway.

A dislike of CASA will get RA-Aus nowhere in all of this. It's only by the good grace of CASA that the organisation exists at all and the more the director gets pissed off the tighter the leash will be pulled.

According to the CASA Web Site- CASA Part 61 Flight crew licencing.

There will be a Recreational Pilot licence introduced to replace the Current Student Pilot licence with Passenger carrying privileges . ( IE- GFPT)

It is only by the good grace of us taxpayers that CASA exists at all. They are our servants and as such ultimately we hold the leash.

I do agree with that however the word "us" is actually the voting australian public, not just those in the aviation community. If the public decides they've had enough of RA-Aus (or they simply do not care enough to stop it) then it will be removed. My money is on the general voting public not caring enough so in the end it comes down to the view of the director.

According to the CASA Web Site- CASA Part 61 Flight crew licencing.There will be a Recreational Pilot licence introduced to replace the Current Student Pilot licence with Passenger carrying privileges . ( IE- GFPT)

True they will change the name slightly but in my understanding many of the priveleges attached to the "new licence" are the removal of restrictions that are currently attached to the "old licence" - just like the new medical option.

Guys,

Where is this discussion going.

There is NO new license for ultralights, there isn't even a license for ultralights; it is a pilot certificate issued by RAAus.

The only new license category is for GA and it only concerns a medical variation for the PPL and they call it an RPL and along with the RPL medical variation there is a PAX, NVFR and IFR restriction ... it has absolutely nothing to do with Ultralight flying.

You cannot fly an ultralight with either a PPL, CPL, ATPL or RPL so what on earth are we debating here?

Even if CASA needed to take over the administration of Ultralight flying they would not do it under an RPL or PPL they would simply administer the current system currently administered by RA Aus until they could install another administration. CASA will never need to do that if we the RA Aus members get off our collectives arses and ensure proper governance. If we do get off our collective arses, we can show CASA what we the members expect and that should be no different to what CASA expects right ....?

• Like 2

I suppose in some ways the latest moves by CASA should be seen as a move by them into the world of RA-Aus. I don't see CASA taking an interest in the "traditional" RA-Aus aircraft or pilots. Their latest moves have been to reduce the number of pilots moving away from GA into RA purely for medical reasons. Be interesting to see the statistic but gut feeling is a large percentage of RA-Aus members are in RA purely for that reason.

So CASA is in effect starting to govern what once were clear-cut RA-Aus pilots and the aircraft they choose to fly. The change will take time but in theory there should be an increasing number of GA registered Tecnams/Jabirus etc and a corresponding decrease in RA-Aus registered aircraft as the older GA pilots choose to forgo the conversion process.

I'm in a rambling mood today...

• Like 3

Guys,Where is this discussion going.Even if CASA needed to take over the administration of Ultralight flying they would not do it under an RPL or PPL they would simply administer the current system currently administered by RA Aus until they could install another administration. ....

David, you`re probably correct about CASA! As I understand it,the AUF, now RAA, was established and subsidised by CASA because CASA didn`t want to admimister Ultralight Aircraft.

CASA will never need to do that if we the RA Aus members get off our collectives arses and ensure proper governance. If we do get off our collective arses, we can show CASA what we the members expect and that should be no different to what CASA expects right ....?

I`m wondering just what you mean by " Get of our collective arses and ensure proper governance"....Proper Governance..?

What it is that " We " the members want to show CASA?

Frank.

......I`m wondering just what you mean by " Get of our collective arses and ensure proper governance"....Proper Governance..?What it is that " We " the members want to show CASA?

Frank.

That we are capable of self governance Frank ... nothing less or more ...

• Like 1

That we are capable of self governance Frank ... nothing less or more ...

David, No offence meant whatsoever!

Well, are we capable? I would like to think so but with so many members pulling in different directions, I wouldn`t want to be trying to administer anything!

Most of us just want to fly and get on with it! I think that as members the best we can do is to ellect those who we " think " can do the job of administration! Even then, are we sure we`re ellecting the right people? How do we realy know until they`ve been ellected and given controll?

Frank.

David, No offence meant whatsoever!Well, are we capable? I would like to think so but with so many members pulling in different directions, I wouldn`t want to be trying to administer anything!

Most of us just want to fly and get on with it! I think that as members the best we can do is to ellect those who we " think " can do the job of administration! Even then, are we sure we`re ellecting the right people? How do we realy know until they`ve been ellected and given controll?

Frank.

No offense taken Frank,

Pulling in different directions is not a problem that good management cannot handle, electing the right people appears to be the problem for the reasons you mention plus what I believe is too many Board (committee) members and an executive that appear to act independently of the Board.

So then are we going to ignore issues that have been raised and label those who raise them as a 'minority of trouble makers' or act collectively as members to ensure that our collective wishes (to fly safely for minimum interference and cost) are maintained by those we elect too look after our interests ... that is the real question.

• Like 1

So then are we going to ignore issues that have been raised and label those who raise them as a 'minority of trouble makers'

Definately not I! Every member has a right, through their area rep or general meeting, to raise any issue/s that they believe in! The direction we then take is relative to the direction we wish to take as collective members and that is part of the problem, as I see it! We can`t get collective agreement on where we want RAA to be in the future!

Don`t know about anyone else but I voted in favour of the proposed changes to the constituation and I also believe in "safe, low cost, minimum interference flying! Always have,always will! I fly purely for the joy of it and still choose to fly a Drifter!

Are we ever going to get collective agreement?....That is the real question!

Frank.

Please keep our governance separate from CASA. They seem so focussed on the big end of flying, I don't think they would even want to bother with little fish like us.

Pete

Please keep our governance separate from CASA. They seem so focussed on the big end of flying, I don't think they would even want to bother with little fish like us.Pete

It is completely separate from CASA as it should be. We need to ensure we govern correctly and that is up to us collectively. CASA would only ever get involved if we completely dropped the ball.

It is completely separate from CASA as it should be. We need to ensure we govern correctly and that is up to us collectively. CASA would only ever get involved if we completely dropped the ball.

...and that is why, to protect the freedoms you have, it's important not to sit back and allow the ball to bounce any more than it has been over the past couple of years.

• Like 2