Introduction of landing/parking charges, Western Downs Regional Council

dunlopdangler

As from the 1st October, the Western Downs Regional Council will be introducing probably the most expensive landing/parking charges in regional aerodomes in Oz.. Aerodromes affected will include, Dalby, Tara, Chinchilla, Taroom, Wandoan and Miles (Condabri) The landing and parking charges will include RAA registered aircraft... Rates are listed in fees and charges on their website..

As from the 1st October, the Western Downs Regional Council will be introducing probably the most expensive landing/parking charges in regional aerodomes in Oz.. Aerodromes affected will include, Dalby, Tara, Chinchilla, Taroom, Wandoan and Miles (Condabri) The landing and parking charges will include RAA registered aircraft... Rates are listed in fees and charges on their website..

Will AVDATA be collecting the fees?? and if so how will they (AVDATA) obtain the RAAUS aircraft owners address for billing??

Don't know their methodology... probably purchased the rego list from RAA and bill direct using cctv cameras at the aerodromes.. they already know some pilots don't have or don't use the radio so avdata won't get rego.. I guess we will no doubt find out sooner or later.

Guest Maj Millard

Bummer, I have used a few of those airports in the past. thanks for the heads-up DD....This could create a potentially dangerous situation around these airports if regulars decide to come in radio-silent to avoid fees. It don't work if everyody is maintaining only a listening watch...................056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif......Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Can they actually implement these charges without first publishing them in ERSA? We are not required to check a council website before using an airport. How can they charge if users have not been informed?

• Like 1

Just found it on their website under "Council Documents" and then "Fees and Charges" page 79.Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I had trawled through that whole document but missed it. Wonder how much it cost the Council to produce and administer that fee schedule...

For Wayne and others, annual landing fee for a commercial UL is $180 and $120 for non-commercial. Parking fee ten bucks a time.

I'm sure aviators will be flocking to the Western Downs.

• Like 1

I think they are chasing money from the RPT traffic related to the CSG industry. be interesting to see how much that solitaire ends up costing you.

Hi FT

I would say that you are correct in saying about the CSG industry, looking at the charges the parking for 4 hours was only for charter, commercial, did not really mention the private aircraft but the landing fee would still be there for the pilots who are passing through. So in tomo's case if he were to curcuits there then it could cost him a small fortune.

Better off flying at home Tomo

Cheers

Bruce

Might have to move there, looks cheaper than Taree...bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

They changed from the annual blanket fee of $500 per year for private owners, to buying blocks of 'movements'

Work out to around $9.50 per full stop, for 100 flights, then you have to buy another lot....

we spend money in the towns there

Well for starters it will be off my list of places to stop for fuel if I can plan around it. Avgas costs enough without having to pay to land too!

• Like 1

Well for starters it will be off my list of places to stop for fuel if I can plan around it. Avgas costs enough without having to pay to land too!

That also suggests a hypothetical:

If a situation (weather etc.) arises and you were overflying any of these fields, would you sub-consciously push on to the next best (free) strip? Making decisions out of spite is not uncommon, just like push-on-itis.

After all, a successful off field landing is as cheap as they come..lol 094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

• Like 1

That also suggests a hypothetical:If a situation (weather etc.) arises and you were overflying any of these fields, would you sub-consciously push on to the next best (free) strip? Making decisions out of spite is not uncommon, just like push-on-itis.

After all, a successful off field landing is as cheap as they come..lol 094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

Nope! Not going to risk my butt to save a few $$$$. But I will plan around Dalby where it works for me.

• Like 2

Miles (Condabri) is going to be upgraded in the near future . APLNG is paying for the upgrades.It isnt going to cost the local council a cent.

APLNG - Stands for Australian Pacific Liquidfied Natural Gas.It is a partnership between Origin Energy and ConocoPhillips.

• 2 weeks later...

Miles aerodrome is currently closed Dazza so they can do the upgrade, lengthen/widen and also increase the pavement rating to handle the larger aircraft that QANTAS will be using in their contractual arrangements that they now have in place with APLNG. Although APLNG are financing the upgrade, WDRC will be responsible for maintenance and terminal facilities. In their wisdom, they have not given any prior notice or consulted with any other stakeholder at any other aerodrome in the councils region that aren't really going to benefit or are used for FIFO. Apart from Chinchilla aerodrome which gets the Dornier, the FIFO flights are very minimal at the other aerodromes. None of us are happy and will be pursueing councillors accordingly. we have however been informed that AVDATA has been installed and has been running for the last few months prior to charges being instigated. be interested to see if RAA aircraft get to be charged. If you do plan to fly into the region, remember there is no legal requirement to use radio as none of the aerodromes are licensed or CTAF® yet, so despite the good airmanship in doing so as already mentioned some people will more than likely make no broadcasts or at best make a call without aircraft call sign, so keep a good lookout if you do come in afterall. I really feel for the businesses on field, because they will loose income and more than likely close their facilities because of the councils shortsightedness and greed.

• Like 4

Hi DD,

Origin will only fly into Miles (Condabri) on Wednesdays and even then it will only be one QANTAS Link -8 300 series aircraft. Wednesday is our shift change day. QGC- I think ,will still FIFO out of Chinchilla like they do currently because their accomodation and head quarters is in Chinchilla.

PS- Hang on- I havent factored in when our gas plant is finished at Condabri (Apr 2013). The camp is a 170 bed camp. I guess that we may have two aircraft on wednesday. If -8 Q400 are capable on landing at Miles after the upgrades are finished. At the most 3 aircraft a week I reckon.

WDRC will be responsible for maintenance and terminal facilities

DD

Don't hold your breath waiting for WDRC to do any maintenance they are not even able to maintain the roads as they should be (unless of course it is downtown Dalby in front of the new building (old ERGON) they wasted $15M on).

As far as Dalby is concerned the condition of that airport is a disgrace. Ray Brown (mayor) has said to people involved with flying in Dalby that they won't be upgrading the airport as he doesn't want Dalby to become a FIFO location.

As far as talking to the councillors or the mayor don't waste your breath (Raymond is known around Moonie and Tara as "Mirror" - you guessed it "I'll look into it" and thats about as far as it goes).

I'm one of those people who attended that meeting out at the Dalby aerodrome when the hair gelled "Mirror" made that statement. A number of us tried to make some suggestions as to how to raise funds to improve the aerodrome and make it a more cost effective "Asset". The council just doesn't get it and treats all the aerodromes in the region with distain and look at them as toxic liabilities.. I personally am in the process of implimenting a campaign to have landing charges dropped on aircraft with a MTOW of less than 2000kg because of the benefits that these aircraft bring into our towns. I realise that I'm probably pushing the preverbial uphill, but I will give it a go... you never know!! 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

• Like 4