Video: A Pilot must have a Memory... Weedhopper Ultralight Flying

winsor68

I always had digs in my posts on that a\c. Thirteen thousand have been sold and provides very affordable, portable flying. They cost [in USA problably] about 9 grand with most of that for the engine and mfg liability. Stall is 17kts and vne 56 kts and runway length 100ft. Though it's name could be a little more macho, it seems to be a well tested a/c [by 13000 pilots]

• Like 1

And that friends, if you fly for fun, is what it's all about.Thanks for posting win.

Pud

Amen Bro ... aint that the truth ... inspiring ...

Javelin 95-10:

35 Kts cruise 45 Knots max and VNE, 18 knots stall. Magic on a warm gentle day ... aaaahh nostalgia ... great music too.

Thanks Donny boy.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Don, great quotes also...

A bloody 'Weedwacker' as they were called back then, and a two-seater to boot !... accompanied by a Quicksilver MXL. Yes truly the essence of basic flight !....

Both around in some numbers when I started to fly in northern California in the early 80s. I trained and got my first UL license initially in a MXL2, the 2 seat version of the MXL, and I did a few hours in an MXL which I remember as being a very capable and enjoyable machine, even if your arxx was only about 5" off the tarmac on landing !...

One of my close friends built a Weedhopper, and took it to a local airport for it's first flight. It had a beautifull brand new wood prop on it. There was also a young kid there with a new radio controlled plane also for it's first flight !... (can you see where this is going?) As my friend was proudly running his engine for the first time, the kid not to be outdone, took to the air with his model. Within a very short time the kid lost control of the model, and it went blasting through the spinning wood prop of my mates new Weedhopper. There was very little left of either the prop or the model!!!.....................................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Affordable flying will always be popular... If only the "Industry" would recognize this and provide suitable aircraft accordingly...

I will provide a quote from 2011 SPORT PILOT Magazine from the 'Boss' at a popular Aussie aircraft manufacturer...

"Our market is changing from flying enthusiasts to turn key pilots. There is a lot of competition now with over 100 other Light Sport Aircraft manufacturers as well as an ever growing array of "boys toys" competing for the dollar once the family has left home and the mortgage paid"...

Once the family has left home and the mortgage paid......Hmmm

That doesn't describe most of the people I know who are wanting to fly... and the GFC or whatever comes next has or will put paid to a generation that has the capacity to buy an aeroplane off "retirings"... I reckon someone is reading the market wrong and what is really needed are proper affordable ultralight flying machines within the simple framework of the older "ultralight" regulations...

Am I crazy?

• Like 4

[medio=full]245[/medio]

Absolutely brilliant - fun flying at its best (and most affordable), and good music too. Keep 'em coming, Don!

Cheers,

Neil

Affordable flying will always be popular... If only the "Industry" would recognize this and provide suitable aircraft accordingly...I will provide a quote from 2011 SPORT PILOT Magazine from the 'Boss' at a popular Aussie aircraft manufacturer...

"Our market is changing from flying enthusiasts to turn key pilots. There is a lot of competition now with over 100 other Light Sport Aircraft manufacturers as well as an ever growing array of "boys toys" competing for the dollar once the family has left home and the mortgage paid"...

Once the family has left home and the mortgage paid......Hmmm

That doesn't describe most of the people I know who are wanting to fly... and the GFC or whatever comes next has or will put paid to a generation that has the capacity to buy an aeroplane off "retirings"... I reckon someone is reading the market wrong and what is really needed are proper affordable ultralight flying machines within the simple framework of the older "ultralight" regulations...

Am I crazy?

I would like to think you are correct, rather than crazy win!!!

However, I believe the economics are not there for someone to start up a manufacturing aircraft business catering for an 'entry level' type machine of the sort you describe. Any takers out there want to give it a go?

Pud