why are aircraft engines so noisy?

cooperplace

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loud for loud sake is boring, but loud with the right resonance is music to my ears. For example I like the sound of a Jab 3300 but I especially like the sound of a RR Merlin and the later Gryphon. They have a smooth sensuous sound that exudes power.

The Bristol engine in the Sea fury has a distinct sound too especially on start up.

Some of the Harleys are noisy but not nice.....MG "B".s sound good, so do some of the early Jaguar overhead camshaft"truck" engines. Really highrevving motors don't make nice sounds, just noises. I always run outside if I hear a decent Radial going past. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

I'm having trouble staying in the hangar when our DHC-2 Beavers take off. Probabily hear it 6 times a day, but I ain't sick of it yet. As the revs build you can hear the supercharger take control and really start producing the horsepower. Early in the morning you can hear them for ten minutes as they set course out to the reef with a load of excited tourists on board. Next to that I'd have to go with a full race-tuned Merlin screaming round the pylons at the Reno Air Races chasing Seafuries. The v-12 Alison powered P-38 lightning sounded pretty good talking off also, the ground almost shook !.........................................Maj...083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

Guest Maj Millard

A hoon in a Lightwing...........guilty !...................................Huh ?................................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gifhurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

The day may come when we are forced to be quieter, till then I'm lovin the noise, I love the sound of a 185 on climb ,full fine ,full throttle,,,,,full scream :-) if I could work out how to make my rotax 912 exhaust louder than the prop noise I'd do it.

Same with the big radials,,,,it be a sad day when a T28 goes over head sounding like a vacumn cleaner!

Met

• Like 1

T 28's ( Trojan), sound like diesel loco's The R-2000's on the Caribou can be heard about 20 miles at least before you see them due to the exhaust augmenters. You can't sneak quietly around in those things. Vee 12's sound nice .( Allison and RR Merlin). The Menascos in the Ryan crackle . They are supercharged with a fixed pitch prop. Gipsy queen ( sixes) are smooth. They were in the DeHavilland Doves . DC-3's with paddle blade props in PNG maake a distinctive noise on take -off. They used them for higher altitudes..Nev

The "Battle of Britain" memorial fly past {Spitfire Hurricane Lancaster} is a symphony to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!

probably very few people would object to such noise, after all these planes fly mainly on special occasions. it's the local resident near a strip who hears light planes hundreds of times a day that get upset by the noise.

Cooper, it's a very interesting subject.

I spent a lot of nights down the road from various speedways with a noise meter, defending drivers from draconian engine silencing requirements by Councils.

A couple of things stood out:

• The meter read the noisiest car, so it didn't matter how many cars were in a race

• One rainy night while I was getting wet measuring the noise level in front of the house of a very strong objector, and he came up to me to look at the meter, which was rteading below the drive-by noise level standard for ADR's. We both agreed the nuisance factor was not the cars, but the softer PA system, fixed that and the speedway is still operating without a curfew 20 years later.

If you choose to live near an established aerodrome how can you have a legitimate complaint?

I agree with this but it doesn't stop local residents complaining and sometimes the local council can be anti-aviation. I don't think the argument that "you bought a house near an aerodrome so you just have to put up with it" convinces many people.

Cooper, it's a very interesting subject.I spent a lot of nights down the road from various speedways with a noise meter, defending drivers from draconian engine silencing requirements by Councils.

A couple of things stood out:

• The meter read the noisiest car, so it didn't matter how many cars were in a race

• One rainy night while I was getting wet measuring the noise level in front of the house of a very strong objector, and he came up to me to look at the meter, which was rteading below the drive-by noise level standard for ADR's. We both agreed the nuisance factor was not the cars, but the softer PA system, fixed that and the speedway is still operating without a curfew 20 years later.

you're quite right, the annoyance factor of noise is often not what people think it is. Personally I would probably find my neighbour's leaf blower far more annoying than if he had a Ducati 900SS.

• Like 1

People, in my opinion, are defined (as a group) as self-serving, short-sighted, whinging d!ckheads.

They need to be dealt with in a manner honest, straightforward and polite. Basically bordering on aggressive.

In my job (bar manager) I do this mostly with words, and occasionally by using my physical size and demeanor.

I imagine other professions may use different tools for similar means. If I was the aerodrome I'd use lawyers...

...or hitmen. You know, whatever strikes your fancy at the time.

:D

- boingk

Buying a house near an aerodrome and then trying to get rid of the aircraft so your land increases in value is BS. Whatever was there first. If you don't like it don't buy it in the first place. Having said that the people who live on the end of runway 23 at Adelaide must get a bit of noise Nev

Th

yeah you are right Coops... no votes in aviation... and I also would much rather hear a 900ss Ducati than a leaf blower

The sad part is due to ADR's most bikes sound like vacumn cleaners,,,except the di(heads on Harley's with open pipes, as a young fella with a chev powered Holden and a glove box full of undue noise tickets I could never work out how they got away with it!

ThThe sad part is due to ADR's most bikes sound like vacumn cleaners,,,except the di(heads on Harley's with open pipes, as a young fella with a chev powered Holden and a glove box full of undue noise tickets I could never work out how they got away with it!

I dunno how they get away with it either. Some knob jokies riding Harleys have bikes that are so loud that you have to wind up your window when the overtake you on the road. This has nothing to do with the bikes being Harleys. I like Harleys & may own one one day. I dont mind the V twin sound either. But some of these dude's bike are excruciatingly loud.

My KTM 640 has a super trap exhaust, makes a nice sound without being over the top.But im Biased.

• Like 2

you're quite right, the annoyance factor of noise is often not what people think it is. Personally I would probably find my neighbour's leaf blower far more annoying than if he had a Ducati 900SS.

yeah you are right Coops... no votes in aviation... and I also would much rather hear a 900ss Ducati than a leaf blower

Proves my suspicion that there are people of taste on this forum!

One day a Ducati with Conti pipes roared down the hill past my workplace using engine braking. All the former Ducati owners rushed to the window in nostalgia and envy.

• Like 2

Proves my suspicion that there are people of taste on this forum!One day a Ducati with Conti pipes roared down the hill past my workplace using engine braking. All the former Ducati owners rushed to the window in nostalgia and envy.

I would have too; my 900SS had Conti pipes.................nothing sounds better