Near Miss incident and how to report?

I'm suggesting that people take the matter much more seriously. The solution is with the individual pilots. While plenty don't acknowledge the serious nature of collision in the air and double check all the time, we all have a problem. Keep your eyes out of the cockpit at the critical times and use your passengers and radio. The sky is not big enough to just take it for granted that it won't happen to you.. People still pull out onto the runway and make others go around and say things like "everyone makes mistakes". Wrong attitude from a safety conscious point of view. Radio carriage is pretty universally required now. Use it and use it properly. And check it is working and turn the volume up so you can hear it. You need everything going for you in flying. You make your own luck and one way to improve that is to see the standard is maintained by whatever means. Perhaps doing reports won't do much, but you give the system a chance and if it doesn't, then complain and keep trying.

Rocketing .. Good post. congrats on soloing.. It's a bit of a milestone and a significant experience for most. Nev

• Like 2

Congratulations on your solo Rocketing.

The situation you describe is all too common unfortunately but will become less harrowing for you as your experience grows. Unfortunately radio work is usually the single aspect that student flyers find most difficult to become proficient in, whether it be in rec flying or GA. In some ways incidents of the nature that you describe have become more frequent than they used to be, before carriage and use of radio in rec flying became so commonplace. Previously see and avoid was the order of the day rather than talk and avoid.

Always keep in mind that traffic separation in VFR is still a matter of see and avoid with the added benefit of the radio to assist in that endeavour. Relying solely on the radio will result in frequent unpleasant surprises.

It is good that you raised your concerns and learnt more from it by discussing the incident on the forum but don't beat yourself up about it. Since you were under instruction at the time the responsibility lay with your instructor, as he was the pilot in command.

As a matter of interest what type were you flying? I only ask because generally it would be the Jabs doing the larger circuits...

Enjoy your solo flying and never stop practicing your radio work. You will find that if you sound clear, confident and authoritative on the radio, the more others will fit in with your intentions rather than you having to modify your plans to fit in with theirs.

Have fun,

Alan

• Like 1

Enjoy your solo flying and never stop practicing your radio work. You will find that if you sound clear, confident and authoritative on the radio, the more others will fit in with your intentions rather than you having to modify your plans to fit in with theirs.

Same principle applies to ATC, if you sound( or actually are) confident in what you are saying you will get the clearance you want rather than get told what the controller wants you to do

And good to hear the errant pilot will get some help, aviation is an unforgiving mistress! If we could change one thing in the Aussie culture is the 'dobber' mentality, by getting this pilots FI involved might just save a life or two.

I've lost count of the times I've heard circuit calls made that were made in the wrong location, had on the other day called 'turning base' just as I made the same call, it certainly gets your attention, after flicking the plane around trying to sight the bugger( wouldn't reply on the radio) I eventually spotted him on final!!!

Met

Just saw this and good to hear everyone came out okay, even better that something will be done about it.

On radio calls and pilots becoming errant near my location, I generally let them know in a reasonably straightforward kind of way. Nothing offensive, just let them know I've/they've got a problem and try and fix it.

eg: Couldn't spot a fellow in a 172 on downwind, despite being apparently right behind him. Got increasingly more alarmed as I couldn't see him after 15sec, so radioed him to confirm position, altitude and runway. He confirmed but still couldn't see him - but now he *knows* I can't see him, too, so was alerted to that. I ended up only seeing him as he turned base - probably 30sec in front of me but flying a polished metal plane on an overcast day, very hard to see!

Basically, do exactly what you did - fly the plane first and foremost and try and talk and find a way around the problem secondly. If the pilot continues to fly in a manner dangerous then try and talk with them in person. Failing that, report them. I used to be a postie and often talking to people yeilded a plausible and understandable explanation for their seemingly dangerous actions. Most times they were happy to cooperate. For all you know the guy may have been on his second solo and struggling with flight controls and radio calls - pilot overload during normal flight for an inexperienced pilot.

Anyway, congrats on the first solo and hope you have many more enjoyable flying hours ahead!

- boingk

"my experience was that the individuals are well known for these incidents by the locals. the locals don't want to rock the boat as no one was harmed"

If that is the csae, reporting him to the local CFI will be a non event. Put in a report yourself, unless you are certain that a responsible CFI has taken up the problem.

"my experience was that the individuals are well known for these incidents by the locals. the locals don't want to rock the boat as no one was harmed"

Answer

If someone doesn't like a rocking boat, they should get another hobby/occupation with less dicipline. eg basket weaving, bingo, bird watching

You may see it as dobbing, but some more responsible pilots may see it as contributing to safety of EVERYONE that flys. Im assuming that means you too, although im not sure. Even an idiot pilot could surely see the benefits of jumping on poor flying and dangerous attitudes??

If your plane doesn't have the right attitude it won't be doing what you want either. Hell Andy, if you keep the wayne kerrs away, the aerodromes will be even more lonely places, than they are now. Who will we bull..... to. Nev

• Like 1

You may see it as dobbing, but some more responsible pilots may see it as contributing to safety of EVERYONE that flys. Im assuming that means you too, although im not sure. Even an idiot pilot could surely see the benefits of jumping on poor flying and dangerous attitudes??

Well said Andy,

I see it like this, by you or someone reporting it that might just save mine or someone elses life, lifes short enough as it is without someone else trying to make it shorter by not following the rules and guidelines of the sport we all love and share.

If I screw up feel free to report me as I will to you all (depending on the circumstances of course).

Alf

• Like 5