What Now?

Admin

Hi All

Time to visit the site make up again...is it working? is it what you want? what should be changed/improved? etc etc etc

I am concerned that the site is currently way left of field of what its intent was although there is a need, an important need for what it is currently providing. I am concerned when I hear statements like:

"some of the opinions expressed at this forum may be unsubstantiated or somewhat extreme"

but to fix that would require a return back to heavy moderation, and that is NOT what is preferred.

How do we lift our game whilst fulfilling the need of ALL users...I am open to ideas.

Now what about the site's functionality, its features, its services, everything that the site provides for you...what more can it provide and how can it provide it?

I am open to your ideas, ANY ideas that you may have silly or not, costly or not, way out there or not...I need your thoughts to help take Recreational Flying to its next level so please please post here in this thread any thoughts you may have to help me take the site to the next level for you...thanks!

Hi Ian,

I think the site is being run very well and it's a credit to your ability and dedication. (what happened to you taking a break by the way?)

Hi Ian,I think the site is being run very well and it's a credit to your ability and dedication. (what happened to you taking a break by the way?)

Next month I hope...after the New Year

Ian

I hope you and the family have a safe and well earned break in the new year. The site is fantastic with lots of good things available to those that have the time to make use of them.

One of the things that i used to use regularly was the plain english area forcast of the weather. I find now that i am having to look at the NAIPS site to get the info but i would really like to be able to view the PEM again on your site.

I know there were a few posts on this when the site shut down but i thought i would just ask again if it is possible to have something like this put back on here?

Keep up the good work Ian.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your dedicated staff.

Safe Flying

Andrew (JabSP6)

• Like 2

IanI hope you and the family have a safe and well earned break in the new year. The site is fantastic with lots of good things available to those that have the time to make use of them.

One of the things that i used to use regularly was the plain english area forcast of the weather. I find now that i am having to look at the NAIPS site to get the info but i would really like to be able to view the PEM again on your site.

I know there were a few posts on this when the site shut down but i thought i would just ask again if it is possible to have something like this put back on here?

Keep up the good work Ian.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your dedicated staff.

Safe Flying

Andrew (JabSP6)

X1

Pud

The "Weather" page is on the agenda to look into and will be a part of the whole package that I will work on as an outcome of this thread so please keep the thoughts coming on what the site can have and do better...thanks

I have thought sometimes that this site could do better in organising reference material.

For example if at the forum page I search for "Rotax 2-stroke Engines", I get 96 entries which could be to do with the particular subject or not.

If I go to the "Avionics, Engines and Props - Rec" page and search for "Rotax 2-stroke Engines", I get 4 entries. Again, which may be to do with the subject or not.

Can we do this better Ian? Maybe we could adopt some aspects of (and I hate to give another website as an example) the Rotax-Owner.com website.

Improvement here, I believe will help this site become a premier, go to site for reference material on most subjects to do with 'Ultralight/recreational aviation.

Pud

Hi AllTime to visit the site make up again...is it working? is it what you want? what should be changed/improved? etc etc etc

I am concerned that the site is currently way left of field of what its intent was although there is a need, an important need for what it is currently providing. I am concerned when I hear statements like:

"some of the opinions expressed at this forum may be unsubstantiated or somewhat extreme"

but to fix that would require a return back to heavy moderation, and that is NOT what is preferred.

How do we lift our game whilst fulfilling the need of ALL users...I am open to ideas.

Now what about the site's functionality, its features, its services, everything that the site provides for you...what more can it provide and how can it provide it?

I am open to your ideas, ANY ideas that you may have silly or not, costly or not, way out there or not...I need your thoughts to help take Recreational Flying to its next level so please please post here in this thread any thoughts you may have to help me take the site to the next level for you...thanks!

Hello Ian,

In my opinion, recreational flying.com is a great site and no doubt highlights your talents. Furthermore, it demonstrates your dedication and generosity (and Corinne's) to the recreational flying community. I thoroughly enjoy the site on a regular basis and I am sure there are many people who also think this site is a fantastic medium to exchange information on rec flying matters.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments Guys...and please keep posting the site improvement ideas/suggestions coming

Pud, yes I agree in terms of creating a reference section however when I looked into that before and started dumpi9ng concepts onto paper I realised that the upkeep of this would be an enormous amount of work. At that time I was looking at linking Wordpress software with the forums with users having a single login across both. I will take another look at this and see if there is a way to minimise the daily work load it will take to maintain it.

Ian,

What's the latest with the Pemet plain language weather option? (no longer in weather pages)

I recall that you were going to duplicate with help some time ago. What news about progress?

Merry Xmas and keep up the good work.

Phil.

IF you are going to set up reference material you would have to "vet" it and set it in context. Over time a lot of good information has been put on this site. The normal method of searching for it would be using things like "keywords", This is not too satisfactory but to do it well would be by individual post addition with often an explanation. A big job, as I see it.. Nev

Ian,What's the latest with the Pemet plain language weather option? (no longer in weather pages)

I recall that you were going to duplicate with help some time ago. What news about progress?

Merry Xmas and keep up the good work.

Phil.

Phil...have a look at post #7

IF you are going to set up reference material you would have to "vet" it and set it in context. Over time a lot of good information has been put on this site. The normal method of searching for it would be using things like "keywords", This is not too satisfactory but to do it well would be by individual post addition with often an explanation. A big job, as I see it.. Nev

Nev, the last time I asked for comments some users requested a better search function...I purchased a "professional" search addon that allowed for words with any number of characters (previously only words with 4 char or more was allowed), a plain English search, wildcard characters and more. This new search feature is what we use on the site now and only available to logged in registered users (due to its cost).

But, to create a reference type of section, commonly referred to as a CMS (Content Management System) is fairly easy to do however due to the enormous number of posts being made, the number of News items coming in every day etc, it would take a lot of time every single day to transfer the material into the CMS. Once in the CMS, naturally there would be an index (or categories), but to find something would still require searching facilities that would return the same issues as if the content is in the forums. These two issues are the dilemma I had when considering it once before BUT I will take another look at it with a fresh mind and see what I can come up with.

As a side note, previously with such areas as the News or content that gets posted, there was a couple of undesirables that would send what they thought were anon emails to news sources etc every chance they could get dobbing me and this site in for containing elements of content found on other sites preventing you guys from being able to access it...hell there was even one person emailing CASA every time one of you posted something that was illegal like a video of illegal flying even though the thread would end up highlighting it, so I have to be careful of those couple of degenerates again if we were to go down the CMS route.

You are right though...creating a huge single point of reference material here on Recreational Flying would be a great asset to ALL recreational aviators and it is something that I would very much like to do for everyone...just how to do it effectively and efficiently with the right software will require some serious thought processes

Well, I can say that for the last couple of weeks I have been doing all the "conceptual" work on the site update...it is really something incredible...in my mind that is, so I hope I can transfer that concept into reality for you.

It looks like WordPress will be used for a huge library of reference material that you all can call on...there will be loads more extra tools and resources along with more powerful sections that will come in with the resource material, and much more. Development will commence just after Christmas and will last for several months and like always, I will give you a "playground" to try things out so you can provide me back with some valuable feedback. Several thousand dollars is being invested in the site update so users of this site will reap the benefits instead. This update will see the single biggest dollar spent that this site has ever seen.

One thing will be an integrated block for your Facebook and Twitter so any of you that use Social Media will be able to update it directly from Recreational Flying...there will be no impact on those that don't use Social Media.

You will be able to define areas of aviation that you are interested in bringing together your interests and leaving out those that are of no interest to you.

The menu system will change into a more interactive one with possibly displaying information for you within the menu drop downs and the site display may (???) end up being a fixed width so it can be designed better for those that use tablets and mobile phones and so you won't miss out on any of the extra benefits of the site so often lost when using a mobile device.

The entire Aviation News section will go and be replaced with something completely different and more tuned to your specific interests giving you a world of information on aviation at your fingertip.

Even the swirly logo is going to be updated along with a new site header...the site "Home" page is going to be completely different, displaying better information in a more "magazine" style of site.

ALL the old favourite sections that the site once had but have dropped off over the year or two during my illness etc will be back...things like a dedicated Classifieds section, a vast aircraft section, free downloads in the downloads section, places to visit, and so much more...

The site lapsed a bit however watching the site over the last few months rather then participate in it as much, has allowed me to see and remember why I started this site 8 years ago and it was all about it being the most incredible, helpful, interactive, friendly place on the internet for EVERYTHING in recreational aviation. All this is coming back...

So as I said it will take quit a few months of development and whilst this is happening I SO MUCH DESPERATELY NEED YOUR FEEDBACK ON WHAT YOU WANT HERE...HERE AT YOUR HOME OF RECREATIONAL FLYING.

Here are some screen shots of things that I like:

1. Menu System

375472497_2(Copy).jpg.0e33bafee8d59bbb71886512a2f51cf6.jpg

2. Home Page:

344159525_4(Copy).jpg.d853bc7bc297f17d0bb8dc61faf434d8.jpg

Status updates that you can post directly to your Social Media:

Aircraft Section:

3.jpg.83bc048b82945828f752d503ef882d7f.jpg

1959367653_1(Copy).jpg.df60b0536a2c00a0dfeb7eb2d2593b90.jpg

445339399_3(Copy).jpg.727e4c659d5b2cc5b69526c846435ed0.jpg

1.jpg.e92ebd04cabe90b6ad42a6cde97a19e4.jpg

2.jpg.138e73a0b5ee5af1a63613ca329109ea.jpg

I realise this may be a bit controversial, but maybe you should not highlight as many accidents on the home page in the news section. I accept that people NEED to know about them, but surely not as "in your face" as that front page welcome to visitors/people starting out in the sport.

I realise this may be a bit controversial, but maybe you should not highlight as many accidents on the home page in the news section. I accept that people NEED to know about them, but surely not as "in your face" as that front page welcome to visitors/people starting out in the sport.

Thanks damkia, it is the only way I can get people to read the reports on old accidents so they can learn from them and hopefully prevent a repercussion...if it isn't in their face, users don't even bother reading them however when they are, they usually get 100+ reads.

I will take what you say on board mate and try and come up with some other way to get the safety factor across...perhaps enter each one in the forums, will try that and see if they get the same number, or better, reads.

Thanks damkia, it is the only way I can get people to read the reports on old accidents so they can learn from them and hopefully prevent a repercussion...if it isn't in their face, users don't even bother reading them however when they are, they usually get 100+ reads.I will take what you say on board mate and try and come up with some other way to get the safety factor across...perhaps enter each one in the forums, will try that and see if they get the same number, or better, reads.

Ian, I would suggest that most people that are forum members already link their shortcut straight to the forum page, completely avoiding the home page altogether...I know I do.

Would it be possible to have them as a pop-up every time a registered member logs on to the site?

Just trying to keep the home page "welcoming".

An update...development of the next major update to the site will commence next week (7/Jan/2013) and will take quite a few months of work so we may possibly not see the update till maybe Easter however, there are going to be some great enhancements included in it and a lot of enhancements in the underlying structure of the entire site.

One of those big enhancements will see the site made ahead of its time, ahead of many other sites by bridging the gap between using the site on a PC and a mobile device...for the technically minded you can get an insite into my way of thinking here: Make Your Site Touch Ready

I personally believe we are going to see a huge shift over the next couple of years across the entire Internet in the way web sites are developed and Recreational Flying will, as it has always been, at the forefront of utilising emerging technologies and development concepts to bring to you an even greater user experience. A part of this, as I have mentioned, is bridging the gap, as in minimising the differences between the way you use the site on a mobile device and on a PC...making your mouse on your PC similar to your finger on a mobile device.

As these changes are going to be in the site's underlying structure, I need to have your input to what you want to have here so they can be incorporated/entwined as the structure is built up...so PLEASE keep the ideas coming, stupid sounding or not, you never know if what you may think may sound silly could end up being an incredible bonus to the site...for everyone...thanks!

• Like 1

Ian,

Would it be possible to have a section dedicated to the various RAA regions for communication by members and the Reps of the RAA? (per http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/victorian-members-and-others-interested.54505/page-2#post-265233 ). As noted elsewhere there is no effective forum for such activities hosted by the RAA, and there are some states that have widespread physical locations of members who may not otherwise be able to effectively link up with the wider community in their state.

I realise this may be contentious with the RAA, but communication IS happening here by one method or another - best to have it all out in the open and above board.

This would obviously remove the need for email groups and the issues that may create - especially if the emails end up being commented on here without the ability to see the full picture. I am pretty sure that this would DEFINITELY get up the RAA Executive's nose if it were to happen ("leaks"?). I think regular Members have had enough of secrecy and surprises, with good reason.

• Like 1

Yes, I think a Section for the reps to comunicate on would be a good idea too. Not for having arguments or for mud slinging but to let their consituents know what is happening in their area. Maybe a section for each rep or area so you would only need to access the information specific to your needs.Maybe after february RAAUS would be grateful to participate.

Yes, I think a Section for the reps to comunicate on would be a good idea too. Not for having arguments or for mud slinging but to let their consituents know what is happening in their area. Maybe a section for each rep or area so you would only need to access the information specific to your needs.Maybe after february RAAUS would be grateful to participate.

Giving this some thought I wonder whether the "Social Groups" section could be used? The person that creates the Social Group i.e. Board Member, can set it to be invisible and only accessible to those that he/she allows to participate. If a user wishes to join the Social Group they have to click the "Join Social Forum" button that is displayed, the Board Member then approves or denies the request. The Social Group is just like the Board Member's very own personal forum that they moderate, discuss issues between their constitutes, seek feedback on any initiative, keep their members apprised of what is happening etc etc etc.

Perhaps this is a solution that may suit the Board Member better as it costs them nothing, they control it, multi user discussions (compared to a 1 to 1 email system) and they can access it, use it when ever they like instead of having to respond back and forth by emails and having to send the same email to many...and there is a history that each user when given access by the Board Member can easily track back on...any thoughts?