What Now?

Admin

Perhaps this is a solution that may suit the Board Member better as it costs them nothing, they control it, multi user discussions (compared to a 1 to 1 email system) and they can access it, use it when ever they like instead of having to respond back and forth by emails and having to send the same email to many...and there is a history that each user when given access by the Board Member can easily track back on...any thoughts?

A couple of points:

The Board Member should not be able to "control" the group for the same reasons an email list is poor substitute as originally suggested (JT). The Members have elected the Board Member, and should have access to any relevant communications they have, even if it is outside the Member's region. It is not up to the Board Member to pick and choose who they want to talk to.

The groups should be related to designated regions, and not specifically to individual Board Members, as these can and will change over time.

I still say a separate, open subforum should be created with all the current regions nominated as sub-subforums. A simple post by the current Board Member/Area Representative as a "sticky" is all that is needed for identification of responsibilities.

The aim should be for transparent communication.

Thanks damkia, what I was trying to do was to provide a better facility in response to this thread:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/victorian-members-and-others-interested.54505/

An email list to a board member is very cumbersome however it does provide privacy. The Governing Bodies forum is locked whereas for a person to view actual posts they have to register on the site and therefore abide by the sites rules in terms of privacy, respect for other user's opinions and the greatest benefit is a very strong framework that can protect users from legal ramifications of what they may wish to say in their posts.

The negative aspects of email is it doesn't provide for open discussion by groups of people very well at all. Email also compounds the work load needed in information dissemination between groups of people. The benefit of email is the Board Member can control, to a certain extent, who he/she disseminates that information to.

What I was trying to achieve is the benefits of email without the negatives and add the extra benefits of discussion, ease of use and ability to review historic data when new members are included down the track. With the closed Social Group system, the Board Member is the moderator of the group with full moderator privileges to manage the group within the safety framework of the site all much better then email, which can end up being forwarded on anywhere and everywhere

Hi Ian,Maybe you could add a 'multi quote' feature?

I've been doing so anyway by copy and paste to a word processing editor and then past back into the post editor but it's rather a cumbersome method.

HitC, the site does have 'Multi Quote'...just go to the posts that you want to quote and simply click the 'Reply' on the right of each post. You will then see that every post you have clicked Reply to is quoted in the reply box

Thanks damkia, what I was trying to do was to provide a better facility in response to this thread:http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/victorian-members-and-others-interested.54505/

An email list to a board member is very cumbersome however it does provide privacy. The Governing Bodies forum is locked whereas for a person to view actual posts they have to register on the site and therefore abide by the sites rules in terms of privacy, respect for other user's opinions and the greatest benefit is a very strong framework that can protect users from legal ramifications of what they may wish to say in their posts.

The negative aspects of email is it doesn't provide for open discussion by groups of people very well at all. Email also compounds the work load needed in information dissemination between groups of people. The benefit of email is the Board Member can control, to a certain extent, who he/she disseminates that information to.

What I was trying to achieve is the benefits of email without the negatives and add the extra benefits of discussion, ease of use and ability to review historic data when new members are included down the track. With the closed Social Group system, the Board Member is the moderator of the group with full moderator privileges to manage the group within the safety framework of the site all much better then email, which can end up being forwarded on anywhere and everywhere

Ian,

It is the regions that "own" the discussions. It may well be that it is one member talking about a local issue to another (say, preparations in the organisation of a fly-in), completely bypassing any required involvement of the Board Member altogether. It simply does not make sense to allocate the subforum/group to a specific person. The Board Member/Area Rep is a member of that region, elected by Members in that region, not the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks damkia, what I was trying to do was to provide a better facility in response to this thread:http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/victorian-members-and-others-interested.54505/

When I suggested an email broadcast for board members to send out a news bulletin, I expected it to be taken as a starting point for giving all members the same information (stops chinese whispers). It MUST be provided alongside a forum which allows the members (and board members) to openly discuss the issues arising out of the email contents. So you would have the ability to target the information initially to the members (not the general public), and allow open discussion about the contents. An email list shouldn't be so cumbersome to compile, and only requires the addition of new members and a 'unsubscribe' process.

• 6 months later...
Hi AllTime to visit the site make up again...is it working? is it what you want? what should be changed/improved? etc etc etc

I am concerned that the site is currently way left of field of what its intent was although there is a need, an important need for what it is currently providing. I am concerned when I hear statements like:

"some of the opinions expressed at this forum may be unsubstantiated or somewhat extreme"

but to fix that would require a return back to heavy moderation, and that is NOT what is preferred.

How do we lift our game whilst fulfilling the need of ALL users...I am open to ideas.

Now what about the site's functionality, its features, its services, everything that the site provides for you...what more can it provide and how can it provide it?

I am open to your ideas, ANY ideas that you may have silly or not, costly or not, way out there or not...I need your thoughts to help take Recreational Flying to its next level so please please post here in this thread any thoughts you may have to help me take the site to the next level for you...thanks!

Hi AllTime to visit the site make up again...is it working? is it what you want? what should be changed/improved? etc etc etc

I am concerned that the site is currently way left of field of what its intent was although there is a need, an important need for what it is currently providing. I am concerned when I hear statements like:

"some of the opinions expressed at this forum may be unsubstantiated or somewhat extreme"

but to fix that would require a return back to heavy moderation, and that is NOT what is preferred.

How do we lift our game whilst fulfilling the need of ALL users...I am open to ideas.

Now what about the site's functionality, its features, its services, everything that the site provides for you...what more can it provide and how can it provide it?

I am open to your ideas, ANY ideas that you may have silly or not, costly or not, way out there or not...I need your thoughts to help take Recreational Flying to its next level so please please post here in this thread any thoughts you may have to help me take the site to the next level for you...thanks!

Hi Ian , I have recently joined and have requested permission to enter

Hi Ian , I have recently joined and have requested permission to enter

Hi, sorry but I have for the last few weeks been away on a course and can only drop in when I could steal a moment but that is now starting to wind down and will finish this week.

I have checked your details and granted access to the Instructors forum...sorry about the delay