Hongie

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And back on subject, here's my previous ride.[ATTACH=full]20472[/ATTACH]

And here's the current one.

[ATTACH=full]20473[/ATTACH]

Hi Gentreau, your Portuguese plane looks similar to a Zenith CH-701 and very similar to an Italian-made plane, the ICP Savannah. This begs the question, who "borrowed" whose design?

They seem to be very impressive STOL aircraft:

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the Land Africa?

I believe that BRM were at one time an importer for the Zenair CH701, and they decided to "improve it" and make their own version. I also hear that ICP did something similar to create the Savannah.

• Agree 1

The top gyro looks pretty slick. What make/model is that?

They is nice all right. look at the bottom of my signature, got in trouble last time for talking about them.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the Land Africa?

Solid, safe, almost impossible to stall. Easy to land in 150m. Selecting full flaps feels like pulling on the airbrakes !

Not much storage room for anyone wanting to go touring, as you can see the BRS take's up most of the space.

Here's some more photos.

BRM_3a.jpg.6b83954101bc8e1f182deb3d46b95b0d.jpg

BRM_4a.jpg.6762b21d40279f817c395aab87333a70.jpg

BRM_5a.jpg.b0f0b14bba822d3af45172c64bf8e17c.jpg

• Like 2

I believe that BRM were at one time an importer for the Zenair CH701, and they decided to "improve it" and make their own version. I also hear that ICP did something similar to create the Savannah..

I am given to understand that all the Savanah/701 etc alikes (and there are a lot of them) are originally from the pen of one designer, Max Tedesco...

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/origin-of-701-and-savannah-designs.25571/#post-149795

The land africa ones are just a original savannah with slats as far as I know and what I have seen in my research. Full flap in savannah's is pretty impressive. I have the extended baggage area so with the chute fitted I still have lots of room.

Mark

• Caution 1

We have two Savannah aircraft on our site, one has the full length leading edge slats, the other has had them removed, and replaced with VGs. The owner with the Slatted model is a bit of a loner and doesn't talk to anyone, ( apart from me on the radio when he flies. . .) Seems to be an OK /sedate / Safe pilot though. . . . the second Sav owner has told me that it seems to fly a lot better with the VGs than it did in standard trim, slightly quicker in the cruise, with no appreciable difference in STOL behaviour. . . . . Can't comment any further on that as I personally have not flown either.

Solid, safe, almost impossible to stall. Easy to land in 150m. Selecting full flaps feels like pulling on the airbrakes !Not much storage room for anyone wanting to go touring, as you can see the BRS take's up most of the space.

I DO like the analogue panel Clive,. . . . . reminds me of how it used to be before glass cockpits ( ! ) no can of worm opening intended ( ! )

Surely that should be Chris Heintz ...... since he created the 701 long before..

I can't be certain... But I have read several accounts that give the initial design to Max Tedesco, with Chris Heintz coming into the picture later on and claiming the design as his own.

Just as an aside. . . . ( drifting again. . . ) A customer sent me an email today, requesting a quote for the product I supply,. . . . the approximate sizes given were : "around twelve metres long, and roughly three feet in depth, and can I make it out of at least 3 millimetre thickness aluminium composite sheeting. . . . . . . as I want it to be visible from at least a couple of hundred yards down the road. . . . "

Wasn't the story, made into the movie of "Freefall flight 293" ( or whatever) with William DeVane as the skipper. . . the Gimli Glider ( 767 I think. . .) as a result of someone mixing up Pounds ( Lbs ) of fuel, and Litres, what caused the airliner to run out of fuel that day up there in Canada. . . . ? We still get a lot of these mix ups here in the UK since we use miles and yards for roads, and mainly Metric units for manufactured products and some foods. . . . . And, of course, fuel and Oils. . . then you have US Gallons,. . . .which are smaller than UK Gallons. . . . my brain hurts.

658214957_JurcaR.jpg.256de248c0d02c83ae9dee7adab75c43.jpg

This is the aircraft I very nearly bought,. . . . . single seat but a lot of fun. Didn't buy it in the end, There were 2 of these on the UK register at the time, someone offered the guy a bit more, so I was gazumped. Before you ask, it's a TEMPETE ( French Design )

• Like 1

Chris heintz AND Max tedesco designed the 701...Max wanted to make some improvements to the design and Chris didn't that then started max's other developments

Hope you had a feather duster in your hand when you typed that 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Haha 1
  • Helpful 1

They is nice all right. look at the bottom of my signature, got in trouble last time for talking about them.

You had better not write about that again then Bones, lest you get into trouble:cops:.

I understand you like gyrocopters, gyroplanes and autogyros. I came across a very interesting website about Xenon gyrocopters/gyroplanes/autogyros (I am clearly not the first because it tells me that I am the 13,553,221st visitor!). There are some really lovely looking gyrocopters, gyroplanes and autogyros on that site. I did not come across a good explanation why the second N in Xenon is not pronounced and the first one is, especially when it IS pronounced in the periodic table of the elements but that is a minor side issue.

I really love the look of the Xenons but, I have to admit that about five years ago, I actually considered acquiring one* but there appeared to be some uncertainty about the business' ongoing existence; I believe they are still operational. But more recently, I have become a bit sceptical about the safety claims of gyrocopters, gyroplanes and autogyros , especially with the Pilot Induced Oscillation problems, etc.

In any case, I have bookmarked the http://www.zenogyro.com.au/ webpage so that I can have a better look at it when I have a bit more time.

Gyrocopters/gyroplanes/autogyros DO seem to have an identity crisis.

* The UFO Helithruster. http://www.ufo-helithruster.com/

You had better not write about that again then Bones, lest you get into trouble:cops:.I understand you like gyrocopters, gyroplanes and autogyros. I came across a very interesting website about Xenon gyrocopters/gyroplanes/autogyros (I am clearly not the first because it tells me that I am the 13,553,221st visitor!). There are some really lovely looking gyrocopters, gyroplanes and autogyros on that site. I did not come across a good explanation why the second N in Xenon is not pronounced and the first one is, especially when it IS pronounced in the periodic table of the elements but that is a minor side issue.

I really love the look of the Xenons but, I have to admit that about five years ago, I actually considered acquiring one* but there appeared to be some uncertainty about the business' ongoing existence; I believe they are still operational. But more recently, I have become a bit sceptical about the safety claims of gyrocopters, gyroplanes and autogyros , especially with the Pilot Induced Oscillation problems, etc.

In any case, I have bookmarked the http://www.zenogyro.com.au/ webpage so that I can have a better look at it when I have a bit more time.

Gyrocopters/gyroplanes/autogyros DO seem to have an identity crisis.

* The UFO Helithruster. http://www.ufo-helithruster.com/

Eighty i have answered(or tried to) in this thread, so as to not hijack this one too much.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/gyro-questions.10896/

This is the aircraft I very nearly bought,. . . . . single seat but a lot of fun. Didn't buy it in the end, There were 2 of these on the UK register at the time, someone offered the guy a bit more, so I was gazumped. Before you ask, it's a TEMPETE ( French Design )

Love the rego! Is that your shot in the RA -vs- GA arguments?? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Love the rego! Is that your shot in the RA -vs- GA arguments?? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Hiya Gnome. . . . .

Gno it isn't. . . ( ! ) didn't know there was an argument ? . . . I don't differentiate, if it's an eroplane then it's an aeroplane. . . as long as I can continue passing my annual CAA Class 2 medical, I'll continue flying G.A. appliances. . . I forgot to mention that the Tempete was made by JURCA, . . . some "Permit to fly" aircraft can be flown on the UK NPPL ( National private pilot licence) which MAY be similar to your RA ticket ??

• Like 1