Where are all the Lightwing / Tail-Dragger Aviators ?

Guest b1rd

love em...Just sold my 2 single seat tail draggers (thruster and supercat)and bought a tail dragging lightwing......sweet can,t weight to take a pax...

Blimey, that came with no warning. Only a few days ago you were waxing lyrical about your Supercat.

They are not going to be" it" for everybody, but a small percentage will prefer them. Some threads in the past have ended up asserting that tailwheel pilots are elitist and full of BS. That's a bit unfair and unnecessary. They are a more challenging proposition, but have a place as simpler stronger, lighter, better for rough field conditions or just for people who accept the challenge to be active on the rudder on the ground. Planes spend most of their usefull time in the air.

Prior to the late 50's there were practically NO tricycle undercariage planes anyhow. The nosewheel is a weak point on smaller aircraft structurally, so if you don't need it it is something less to worry about and maintain. Nev

• Like 2

Blimey, that came with no warning. Only a few days ago you were waxing lyrical about your Supercat.

hey Doug,fate is a funny thing....yep all came as a welcomed suprise to me,,,was looking at a thruster 2 seat as my son hassles me daily to go up, but as a fellow aviator in need of a plane contacted me,I generously offered the supercat to him which would enable me to get somthing a bit more exspensive. the lightwing (in which Locky whome is buying my supercat found for me..thanks mate im glad the supercat is going to a good home with you.)youll love it !!!

better to have another pilot with there own aircraft instead of me being greedy with 2..I certainly can,t fly them both?,so decision made and the supercat (my dream plane and make believe crop duster) will end up in Qld and by chance Not far from where the thruster is heading..lol Makes me happy to help some fellow aviators enjoy the pride of owning there own Plane. whilst I'll enjoy the responibilty of a pax. MY son .congrats guys

IMO opinion... and it must count for something having spent almost a week living out of one.... Howard Hughes original Lightwing is a bloody beaut aircraft. Really the ultimate Aussie Bush plane.... should be more of them about...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IMO opinion... and it must count for something having spent almost a week living out of one.... Howard Hughes original Lightwing is a bloody beaut aircraft. Really the ultimate Aussie Bush plane.... should be more of them about...

Thats great to hear Winsor68 as mine is number 004... and I hate the thought of selling 2 good planes and ending up with somthing less...Im glad to hear the early ones are a good thing . My research tells me I made a wise choice in the lightwing and I just can,t wait to pick her up..2-3 weeks and she'll be hear...a lil longer and my hanger will be clear

• Like 1

026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Thats great to hear Winsor68 as mine is number 004... and I hate the thought of selling 2 good planes and ending up with somthing less...Im glad to hear the early ones are a good thing . My research tells me I made a wise choice in the lightwing and I just can,t wait to pick her up..2-3 weeks and she'll be hear...a lil longer and my hanger will be clear

my 0032 is the first certified lightwing put into production witch I am rebuilding through Carlo Prete will be prould as punch when we get her airborne she as a history of being the first on floats & also the army flew her from east to west australia and back again back in the early days of ultralights days ......she be my second lightwing that I have owned I had 0229 who now lives at insfail

• Like 1

If you have never flown a tail wheel aircraft beware. Once you fly one there is a distinct possibility you will catch 'Taildraggers disease' it is contagious, so don't hang around too many of us Tailwheel pilots either. drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

Seriously though there is a distinct possibility you will fall in love with the challenge, instead of just pointing the aircraft down the runway and opening the throttle ... from the moment the throttle is advanced all the fun and excitement begins especially if you get to fly some of the bigger singles like the C185 with 300HP up on two wheels or one wheel in a stiff crosswind take off ... nothing quite like it.

Oh and by the way, did anyone tell you they actually fly better than a tricycle aircraft ... true actually; they only have two dunlops dangling in the breeze and will have a few more knots on the three wheel versions ... true story.

I love them, especially the ones that challenge you. The truth is they are just waiting for you to become complacent and then they will remind you who is boss.

Can you tell ... I love flying tail wheel aircraft. 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gifsuper_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I got my TD endo a few months ago on our GR582 Lightwing and I find I am agreeing with David - I probably prefer flying the LW now as opposed to the Jabs I normally fly. There is definately something about the TD that makes the whole thing a lot more fun.

BTW - RPA at Murray Bridge have the LW on line at present so any Adelaidians can come get the endo!

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

Maddog, Yes had a look at a Eurofox at Chinchilla recently. Must say I was very impressed all round. the main-landing gear and tailwheel are very robust, and the general overall quality was definitly a big step up from the Gazzelle or Skyfox. Cabin is huge and very well appointed, a very purposefull looking aircraft !.....................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Editted.JPG.d914d4d74d1171339f7bae57fa9cf440.JPG

Late friday return to Montpelier after my weekly Shute Harbor commute..................................

Certainly not intending to put down any of the lovely 'newby' taildraggers pictured in this thread (currently own & fly L/Wing GR912) but if we're talking pretty, have a dekko at this sweet little number (and it got a hell of a lot sweeter when it was brought unto the RAA register as a '25' series rego under the new weight limits). 1946 Aeronca Champ 7AC w/ 85hp Cont. I'm too old for lust but I'm certainly in love again (with my wife's permission)

1127525141_Champion065.jpg.5a71f66b2db23275edd52364bdfa52bf.jpg

• Like 2

After initial training in a Gazelle, I then tried on a couple of Jabs, moved onto a Tecnam Sierra, and then finally lost the training wheel when we finished our bird. Fast forward to now, and I can say the majority of my flying has been in a taildragger. There's just something sweet about them prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

DSC02053.jpg.9c7c2a5f636fa7d403e352361525311a.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Riley, The Airknocker Champ and Chief are two of my favorites also. I once had the pleasure of putting a very original Chief back into the air that needed some serious love. I still remember the absolute simplicity of the design.......but surely (don't call me surley !) the most beautifull TD of them all has to be the classic and rare Monocoupe 110 special ?????..(google it !)...045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes Riley, The Airknocker Champ and Chief are two of my favorites also. I once had the pleasure of putting a very original Chief back into the air that needed some serious love. I still remember the absolute simplicity of the design.......but surely (don't call me surley !) the most beautifull TD of them all has to be the classic and rare Monocoupe 110 special ?????..(google it !)...045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj. I googled & I concur however, take your age & add my age and divide by two and you're bound to find a bracket full of whole bunch of geezers who reckon that anything with a high wing, radial power plant, tractor configuration and a tailwheel (or tail ski, I recall as a kid) such as the Monocoupe is beyoodiful. Even more so if it drips/oozes oil all over everything. Love em!

• Like 1

Here !!!...........014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes, Maj... if I end up unable to fly the Auster because of fuel and maintenance costs, I'll be looking for a Lightwing just as pretty as your's is.

There is a distant family connection for me, too. Howard's mother, Doris was my mum's cousin as best as I can recall.

kaz