The effect of the audit..dang!!!

flyerme

if the manufacturer goes west and your stuck there is avenues to fit aircraft with alternatives, it just might be expensive, welcome to aviation, the alternative is to go 19 or experimental reg ,,,

Met

And there lies the problem for me as my aircraft is used in my flying school and for the record, I have been flying since 1978 so be careful with the 'welcome to aviation' bit.

My Gazelle has three years of records missing from the log book as it was done in a RAA logbook that is not available. The logbook was inspected in a CASA audit and approved but I have since found serious problems and none have been recorded in the logbook but all anyone can say is omg its got an illegal propellor!

The next aircraft was a Pacific Ibis which the type had been approved for over six years and grounded without warning due to 'paperwork' issues.

A friend offered his 500 hour Tecnam to keep the school going and this aircraft was only recently changed from GA registration and was NVFR certified. The engine dumped the water, sprung an oil leak and the nose wheel axle let go due to it not being done up so it is in for major work. When I removed the cowls to find where the water leak was, the oil cooler and radiator fell out and and all of the hose clamps in the cooling system were so loose that they were falling off. Why did I mention this? Because it still had a current GA Maintenance Release and was signed off by a GA LAME and all the RAA and some comments from this site are worried about is non certified propellors and other minor items.

It is easy to check the the paperwork which CASA makes a career from, but if someone doesn't want a problem or accident recorded then it does not go in the logbook and that is what makes aircraft dangerous, not some thing about minor modifications

• Like 2

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A race to the post today to get a Special CofA for my Savannah S which I only was advised of yesterday by both RaAus and the dealer has unfortunately not succeeded in keeping my aircraft which I use for business in the air. Until advised its grounded. Hopefully not for long due to a big effort by DB today . All factory built Savannahs will have two options. Revert to the euro type certificate with a 450kg MTOW or go to a SLSA with special CofA and stay legal for school use at 560kg.

I tried to get this info from both the dealer and RA for the last 3 months but it took until yesterday, the day before my rego expired to get to the facts.

It truly is a disgrace how the whole technical administration of RA has come to this and the dealers and importers are not immune either.

I have virtually zero faith in our organisation and many aircraft representatives in this country who should hang their heads in shame for the lack of professionalism that taints what should be a strong and robust part of the aviation industry.

• Like 2

What situation for your aircraft led to this?

just the normal re-registration process! ICP's factory built Savannahs are caught up in this audit fiasco, I had concerns that were raised with Adam and Reg at Monto. They never have held a current Aussie type certificate, trading off the old euro 450kg certificate and have been allowed to operate at 544kg on the say so of many of those who no longer exist in RA. The audit has bought all this to a head, but for the last 3 months I have been asking what exactly had to be done to ensure my aircraft could continue to operate, and the mumbles were indecisive and vague until yesterday . The first year renewal of this aircraft was submitted late last year for renewal with full copies of all the technical information needed for rego but the lack of a type certificate at the current weight meant if I wanted it to continue to operate effectively, it had to go to LSA and have special C of A issued before the renewal could pass audit and proceed,why the distributor or RA have not telegraphed this info prior to yesterday is beyond me....

Great with a rivet gun but hopeless with the rule book... I honestly think there are probably less than a handful of importers that can be trusted in Oz- buyer beware in the choice of your distributor and choice of aircraft. Look deep past all the glossy brochures and flash you tubes, the pain of a poor choice may last for a long time. Even if it flys great, it's useless if its grounded!

• Like 3

Great with a rivet gun but hopeless with the rule book... I honestly think there are probably less than a handful of importers that can be trusted in Oz- buyer beware in the choice of your distributor and choice of aircraft. Look deep past all the glossy brochures and flash you tubes, the pain of a poor choice may last for a long time. Even if it flys great, it's useless if its grounded!

I agree BP, A few months back I was doing some research into the Savannah and spoke with both the importer and the distributor you mention re MTOW of Savannahs here in Aus. I could not get a straight answer from either nor were they very interested in helping.

Needles to say I have gone no further.

Cheers

• Like 2

just the normal re-registration process!

"and Recreational that it should be all of this.. and fun."

001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I feel for you and all in the same sh*t heap these questionable parentage dudes have encumbered us with.

They seem to have reduced the fun bit considerably.......good luck. 083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

• Like 1

Now $550 poorer but with a shiny new CofA, I still have a grounded aircraft, it has cost me business today and tomorrow it will do the same. If its not sorted by Monday the lawyers can chew the legs off those responsible- I'm over it!

Recreational Aviation Australia- "wrecking aviation for those who can least afford it"

Maybe rename it "Wreck Rational Aviation Australia"? Nev

and just cast your mind back Nev... 2 years ago all the rage was clear plastic holders for our rego certificates to be highly visible on our aircraft - when if the people who were responsible for this debacle had spent the energy, and our contributions on compliance we wouldn't have this current mess.

those plastic holders are emptying at an exponential rate at the moment, as is the faith we have in the current executive and management that has allowed this to happen. Bring on the special GM, I'm sharpening my useless rego card to inflict maximum damage to those responsible( without the plastic wallet)......

• Like 2

Hi BP... just to get this right.The SavS rego was processed? Or not?

If processed is the aircraft legal to fly?

Please explain a little clearer if at all possible.

The local school has a SavS.

Hey Winsor- NO as of tonight it still has not been processed.

My belief is that it sits somewhere now( hopefully near the top) of an ever deepening pile of renewals that need to be processed and finalised to get them flying again.

The consultant has to check every one individually and sign off on it before it goes back to the fantastic admin ladies to get the new rego in the mail, and hopefully with an emailed confirmation, which will allow it to fly again.

I knew about the actual new audit process months ago, when all this started going down, but you can't pre-request renewal of your aircraft. You can get all your paperwork in order( which mine was) but the new SPECIAL CofA requirement for factory built Savannahs had not been advised to me, by RA-Aus or the distributor. Reg indicated it may have needed to change to LSA, in telephone conversation, but he directed me to RA-Aus. They said that the renewal would be sent out a few weeks before, but couldn't confirm the new requirements. This was only notified to me one day before my rego fell due, even after I had sent my renewal in 2 working days after it was sent to me on December 22nd.

If the distributors and RA- Aus would just notify the owners of any changed requirements in the certification of their aircraft then at least as owners we could get on the front foot, as a school aircraft I raised this with the operations manager and at least he put a process request in to have school operators get some priority in the renewal process. I'm not sure if this is happening at this time. But alas this all appears too hard for our industry.

You can bitch about CASA all you like- but at least they have their processes in place. A $700 plus rego renewal with RA- Aus for a 1 year old new factory aircraft has got to be getting close to VH costs- you gotta wonder....

I just hope other factory built owners are now aware of this though my posts so, irrespective of the aircraft type, they can at least hopefully become informed before the their rego's fall due.

Hope this helps!

Is it legal to fly a SavS if it has been and is currently registered?

In respect of registration, yes, as long as it continues to meet the required airworthiness standards. My post only refers to the changed certification paper work required for these aircraft at time of renewal.

Guest Andys@coffs
Is it legal to fly a SavS if it has been and is currently registered?

My personal view:-

Its Ok to fly anything (within the RAAus fleet for which you are certificated and endorsed to fly) that is within its registration where you and or the owner have not been advised that it can no longer be flown.

If you want to protect yourself, ask the owner before hiring, "Has CASA or RAAus advised that this aircraft cannot be flown?" if the rego is still current and you get the right answer to your question then I think any "reasonable man" test will say you've done what you can.

Anyone see it differently?

Andy

Hi BP,Have you had the same hassle with registration renewals for the Tecnams at the school? Mine is due in a month and don't fancy being grounded for god knows how long.

Willborne.

No mate, It's a hard thing to check and neither are due before May, I don't expect problems with either as they conform to a type certificate and were pre- LSA. Starky is a good operator. Just make sure your fitments = whats on your equipment list and that you have all photo's of rego markings, data plates, warning label in cockpit, W&B chart etc and send them in with your renewal. I doubt Brett would have any problems- an ex ROI and sharp as well. Should be good.

Brian have you been advised why the delay?

Ballpoint

At first it was the computer problem excuse, then unable to process renewals due to audit failure "you will have to wait in line"

Finally told a few days before christmas i needed to send photo's of warning placards and numbers under the L/H wing.

Photo's were sent last friday as raa was closed for christmas. I was advised i have been added to the processing line. So from the time

I rang the office with my renewal details before my rego expired until now it has been 2 months.

Ballpoint

At first it was the computer problem excuse, then unable to process renewals due to audit failure "you will have to wait in line"

Finally told a few days before christmas i needed to send photo's of warning placards and numbers under the L/H wing.

Photo's were sent last friday as raa was closed for christmas. I was advised i have been added to the processing line. So from the time

I rang the office with my renewal details before my rego expired until now it has been 2 months.

Same here - ours is with a flying instructor - grounded since early Nov. We got the "excuses" too. Sent the photos before Christmas, the day after they told us what was required. Our other two are due March & April; fingers crossed, but not optimistic.

At present we know more grounded aircraft than those flying. People seem to think it is "only me" or "someone will fix it". Factory built Savanah, another aircraft for sale (now can't be demonstrated or transferred), home builds, etc. This is seriously inconvenient; which might be quite an understatement considering the effect on schools and livelihoods, getting to work, travel and just being able to enjoy the aircraft you own.

Sue

After being grounded for 3 weeks and having to hire a car for the wife and kids to use so i could get to work on Monday (6 hour drive taking my car) as another weeks leave from work was not approved, and having to then drive home friday (another 6 hour drive) i had an email from RAAus stating that my plane rego was now vavlid as of friday 11th January 2013 for a 12 month period to the 10th January 2014. The Rego ran out on the 21st December 2012.

At least this answers a few questions about whether RAAus would be just renew the rego from the privious expiry date or not.

The email stated the rego card would be sent in the mail. Attatched was a copy of the new rego certificate.

My question is that if i print out the rego certificate and put it in the plane and fly to work on Monday with the expired rego card still in the window of the plane would this be legal or do i have to wait until i have the rego card in the window of the plane? My concern is that i leave at 6am in the morning for work and the card won't have arrived before i depart. Just wondering if i need to go through the expense of hiring another car for next week and dring the 12 hour round trip or if flying as stated above would be legal?

One positive to come out of this for me is that it only took 3 weeks from the time my file was complete with all the required info to receiving the rego email.

I hope all those out there with planes still grounded get sorted out quickly.

I won't be able to attend the meeting in February but i will certainly be sending aproxy vote to hopefully ensure this never happens again and people responsible are not voted back in.

Safe Flying

JabSP6