The effect of the audit..dang!!!

flyerme

FM I really think you should find out which prop is the correct one and get hold of one and fit it drawing attention to the situation on here could make things worse. I have a two blade wooden prop which you could have but I am sure it would not be the right pitch as it was off a 503 Thruster which was less HP and slower speed, but someone out there most likely will have the right one. First you need to find out what is the right prop for your plane. If I was you I would prefer a wooden prop anyway as I know of two instances where Brolgas threw blades in the early days at one time they were grounded.You may feel wronged by RAAus but you are one of many with this sort of problem. I am not sure who in RAAus decided to turn a blind eye to non flying school certified aircraft being modified illegally but it should never have happened.

edit - again I state...I just want to fly ,legally and safe... I for one are glad RAA are sorting out THERE mistakes I just don,t like the way they pass the buck,but thats just my GROUNDED opinion,OPINION may change once flying again?lol

Yeh just waiting for Howie to reopen so I can call him to find out the origanal configuration then will persue the origanal prop.

I don't mind wooden 2 blade props either ..

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are safer. Nev

So, is it true that a properly maintained wooden prop has an indefinite life? I ask as I have a timber 3 blade precision prop, and have been tossing up replacing it with something else to give a bit more performance (and a bit more of that magical "newness")

They are not "lifed" as metal ones are. This doesn't mean they last forever and they don't like rain. All props need to be inspected. A nick in a metal one has to be dressed fairly quickly or a crack can start. Some repairs can be done on a wooden prop too. I see no reason to go more than 2 blades with a wood prop as the hub is very simple with 2 blades. Glued laminates is the most common and simple structure. You can make them yourself with a bit of practice but this is not helpfull with your plane. Nev

Hey Tim. Wooden props can last almost forever if taken care of. We have some jab props that have been through a lot in their lives and are still going strong. The one on our 160 has had 3200 hours use and looks good for another 3200! I'd go for wood over metal or carbon just for longevity sake.

Btw my wife and I drove past your place this morning at 6.30 and I hit the horn a couple of times in greetings! Sorry we couldn't stop in but we just got to Wollongong after driving for 14 hours!

Hey Tim. Wooden props can last almost forever if taken care of. We have some jab props that have been through a lot in their lives and are still going strong. The one on our 160 has had 3200 hours use and looks good for another 3200! I'd go for wood over metal or carbon just for longevity sake.Btw my wife and I drove past your place this morning at 6.30 and I hit the horn a couple of times in greetings! Sorry we couldn't stop in but we just got to Wollongong after driving for 14 hours!

Hey thirsty,I heard you toot.. you like the PINK wind sock? that was Seths choice,,him and his pink..lol

I have priced a new wooden 2blade (1/2 the price of a new Bolly)but will find out the exact diam,pitch etc when ALW open up again.

let me know when your next at the bridge and drive up for a catch up..Take it easy

Guest SAJabiruflyer
thats pretty rude!!!!!!!but ill bite- for the record ,its not rocket science!!! its called SACRIFICE ...Bye a cheaper house!!!! or one with less rent!! move to the middle of know where , where housing is cheap as chips.Drive a beat up old bomb instead of your flash car!!!! and sell all the crap you don't use like I did ( my motor cycle -gone- My exspensive car gone,boat etc.). If you want something bad enough anyone can have it with a little determination and smarts..My first plane cost $2500 and cost nothing but some fuel and oil to run - and you can,t afford a plane on a full time wage? dont aim for an RV! aim for a Grass hopper!

Secondly- I worked damn hard and I mean WORKED to achieve what I have.

In my last days of hard labour I was involved in an site accident which left me crippled.

I then sold up my bobcat and tipper business and the rest is history

A year and a half go my Wife past away (48yo) from a terminal illness and it was her dying wish that I live out my dream of flying with my son.

I believe anything is achievable if you REALLY want it bad enough..

You'd be suprised how many of us owners are pensioners..

Does that clear it up for you?

It's not really rude, I just ask the question others don't. If you were Chinese (like my wife) you would expect the question. But I'm glad you cleared it up for me - many thanks :) . You are to be commended for your attitude and approach that enabled you to achieve aircraft ownership. I myself don't want to take a loan to buy an aircraft so for now hiring shall suffice

Guest SAJabiruflyer
Snide, irrelevant and totally unconnected to the thread Jab. Poor form and none of your damn business!

In your opinion, which you are entitled to, just like everyone else. It's a good question, the answer proves if you want something enough you go out and get it.

Hi guys just to revert back to topic, I received an email this morning from my dads friend (family solicitor)just clarifying the legality of the matter.

We have gathered and analysed the requested information and to our understanding we found that 2 crimes have taken place which is just cause for legal action should you decide to proceed.

1. at some point in time an unknown person/s fitted an non-certified propeller to the aircraft in question with out seeking certified professional clearence.This action rended the modification illegal and in doing so a crime has been committed by the person/s whom fitted the propeller .

2.At some point in time an RAA representative Approved the Illegal fitment of the propeller by allowing several transfers to take place and allowing on going registration.This is also an illegal act .

It is our understanding that for transfer of ownership to take place RAA require transfer papers detailing the specified propeller among other things and also require an L2 inspection also detailing the specified propeller.

With the information at hand it can be noted that several transfers have been submitted all containing the details of the propeller in question and were approved by an RAA representative .

We would require a copy of the complete file for the Aircraft in question from RAA in which we would hope to pin point the time the illegal fitment took place. We are also aware that photographs of the registration numbers must also be submitted for transfer and would hope to find some pictures containing the offending propeller in question.

We are aware RAA are engaged (in some ways )to a similar case due to there negligence and feel your case may be relevant to this particular case.

We understand you do not want to proceed with legal action at this stage and we will be happily speak on your behalf to RAA to have the matter cleared up in a legal and professional manner .should you like to proceed with legal action in the future we would be more than happy to represent you..

don't get your knickers in a knott I was just curious as to the legality of the matter...

Where I stand = I will contact Howard Houghs and find out the original configuration for the prop and then proceed to locate one (2 blade wooden) and sell the brolga to pay back my DAD whome offered to bye me a new prop..love ya Dad thanks heaps

RAA really dont need more law suits And I believe an outcome will be met simply in the end

093_celebrate.gif.b819cda4acf84f8ea794b849a8b7287c.gif

• Like 4

Take action against the individuals not the RAAus.

I think it was more likely an unintentional mistake by someone so I ll just go with fitting the right propeller and be done with it.

I only hope my thread helps others in the same boat or more the point makes people aware of the consquences of modifying a certified plane..take it easy all

• Like 7

It's not really rude, I just ask the question others don't. If you were Chinese (like my wife) you would expect the question. But I'm glad you cleared it up for me - many thanks :) . You are to be commended for your attitude and approach that enabled you to achieve aircraft ownership. I myself don't want to take a loan to buy an aircraft so for now hiring shall suffice

I too, have a Chinese wife but alas, I cannot hold her responsible for any of my boorish insensitivities....... but like you said, that's only my opinion.

• Like 3

What we really need (with our 10,000 members) is to get another exemption (for ALL ultralights) regarding the technical status of the propellors we use.

I understand the sentiment behind this, but a general exemption for something as important as a prop is not something I would like to see, especially when it comes to re-selling an aircraft.

If an aircraft is experimental with 19 on the side anything goes and it's the buyer beware. But if I'm buying a factory built aircraft, new or second-hand, I believe I should be able to expect that the parts used in construction and maintenance are a tested and approved. I even don't mind if an owner takes the risk and modifies a plane for there own use....as long as it is returned to an approved condition when it comes to selling or transferring ownership.

How does it work in the GA world? There are plenty of old types flying where the company doesn't exist any more. Do ALL the parts used on these always need STCs?

• Like 2

How does it work in the GA world? There are plenty of old types flying where the company doesn't exist any more.

Plenty of guidance material on the CASA website. e.g. http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/021/021c16.pdfQuick example was my '79 Decathlon made by Bellanca which went out of business many years ago. American Champion bought the design rights and redesigned the wings so provide nil support for the old wooden wings. I needed new spars so got them from another company which had developed an STC and PMA for them. Alternatively, I could have got them made locally per para 4.2 (a) of the above AC:

parts manufactured in the course of maintenance by an organisation holding a Certificate of Approval under regulation 30 of CAR 1988

• Like 2

hey guys had a little win ,I spoke to Howard Houghs and he not only specified the certifeid prop but also whilst I was on the phone searched and found they are still made..wahoooo Howie even offered to call them to organise it..what a great bloke.I will organise it myself and Howard will send a letter to RAA to varify its the cetified prop.

.and the winning prop is...Cato 66"/44 2 blade wooden fixed pitch.sweet.

Also spoke to ?Daryn?tech manager at Raa and he was very helpfull in resolving the issue...

• Like 7

whats this? a 3 blade?

This is the australian lightwing flight manual for aircraft type GR582 thats sits in my plane

P.S just thought Id throw my boof head in the shot..thats BOOF head NOT BALD head...wise guys..I know you lot to well:roflmao: 844437561_Untitled2.jpg.582c482d671aa2659a642a7794ea07cf.jpg

Ok I admit sometimes I just don,t think...what a idget....I opened up the flight manual to page 3 and

bingo, Propeller :ALLSIZE,CATO,LightWing or BOLLY

Type : Wooden or GRP

Diameter : 66".x 44"pitch

No mention of blade numbers.

and whats GRP?682156186_Untitled5.jpg.da09a7ede0ac9b02e6fd2a37c08779ba.jpg