Low and slow

Up high you may as well be in a bus,need to see the leaves on the trees,look the roo's in the eyes.this is how it was,and still is for some.my little 503 has never let me down.

Your "little 503" won't let you down right up until it does.

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

love those pics. How flying used to be,the the thongs make great flying boots

That 'Connie' amphibian photo is frighting just to look at, you would really want to check your seat belt on that little number!!

• Like 1

I got to do a couple of hours in a drifter a few years back, absolutely loved every minute of it, aaaaahhh the good ole days ,not above 300 agl, no bull5hit ,no RAA scullduggery,,,,although I wasn't actually flying back then , but it does seem nice!

Ive got to do a two stroke/low performance soon, but it's hard to find anyone still using them in the schools, quite sad really

Met

• Like 1

Hi Met your welcome to come and go for a fly in my drifter when you get your endorsement do some real flying, l remember when l used to fly under 300 agl in the early 80 s l 5hit my self once when got up to 750ft in those days got caught in a thermal and up she went was in an Easy Riser so light took for ever to come down ,used to fly all over the farm at about 50 ft was legal then no license either .

what a difference 30 years makes.

cheers Geoff.

• Like 4

Too many damn endorsements. Too many fools steering the ship.

I remember sitting around the fire one night at a Jaspers Brush fly in back in the late seventies and the talk got around to the future of the sport. We sure never envisioned this current mess and all these draconian rules.

Sitting out in front on those Drifters and other pushers are like going into a fight leading with your chin.

Interesting to see a big resurgance in grass roots FAR 103 in the USA that is being driven by the economic downturn.

Maybe with a new crew we can get back some sensibility.

Ozzie

still grounded

Hi Met hope to be going up to the hang glider comp this Feb in Forbes was speaking to Bill Moyes about buying one of his dragon flys as he is sell some after the comp he is selling six .

cheers Geoff.

Hmmm low and slow! I've got no idea why you want to look a kangaroo in the eye in any plane as I never liked looking big reds in the eye just before I hit them in my car and many close calls with them over years spent in Sticksville. Used to fly from Warnervale about 3 years ago and you had to be careful there with kangaroos mostly depending on what side of the runway they were on because they all took off into the scrub on the western side and this also depended on the time of day. Checking out the texture of leaves on trees - well I think I have done that a few times when I am using strips along the coast here but I don't really feel the need to get up close and personal. However I use a group of trees along the side of a grass strip that I frequent to give me lift. Recent use of prevailing winds saw me take off over a region of trees that was very thick with leaves, twigs and branches, which I had never used before on a heading for a coastal beach in case something happened all because I had to get back to the hangar so I could get to work. Comments at departure from acquaintances were along the lines of "is there anyone you want us to call". I don't know if that fits the low category or whether it has to be sustained for an undetermined period of time. On the other hand - slow!!!. A quicksilver with a 447 = slow.094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

I'm not long into powered parachute flying,big change from ga.now love to fly with my aviation approved thongs,no need to break any rules low flying,if motor quits no prob,if you can't land here or there fly higher ,just loving the low slow go nowhere flying and feel that this is close to how it was long ago except no hanger required. Like those pics I'd be into that,the rules are a little different for ppc ,300ft,lower with owners consent or own property...just putting it out there if you have never tried this most basic form of hands off flying maybe give it a try,

• Like 3

One of the......MANY.....great things gyros do with aplomb, ( or is it aplomp ) low n slow .....legal at 300', kissing the tree tops if land owner gives the ok.

Wind.........what wind:cheezy grin:003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

One of the......MANY.....great things gyros do with aplomb, ( or is it aplomp ) low n slow .....legal at 300', kissing the tree tops if land owner gives the ok.Wind.........what wind:cheezy grin:003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

As long as it's not aplop, that's fine.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

I fly at about 3 feet, just before I touch down, is that low enough for you?Personally I prefer it up high where the air is smooth and should the unthinkable happen (or the inevitable depending on your choice of motor), I will have plenty of time to think about it!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: If ever I get my beloved gyro, then I may just give low a go!016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Gyro . . . . ? I thought they had a built - in self destruct fadctor ?????

On the subject of low flying, how about twelve feet at 85 Kt spraying sorghum ??

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
On the subject of low flying, how about twelve feet at 85 Kt spraying sorghum ??

Not for the faint hearted, or ill prepared! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Gyro . . . . ? I thought they had a built - in self destruct fadctor ?????On the subject of low flying, how about twelve feet at 85 Kt spraying sorghum ??

"self destruct factor"..............please explain further......( this might get interesting )

"self destruct factor"..............please explain further......( this might get interesting )

Hiya Russ. . . . ( Humour - ark ark. . .)

I was quoting a bloke who has trashed THREE helicopters and also Two and a half Gyros. He was a Heli Instructor at a nearby airfield until they moved to a larger site a few years ago,. . . He reckoned that it COULDN'T possibly have been his lack of skill, ( ?!) just the "Inherent Built - in destruct factor seemingly present with machines reliant on rotating wings for levitation. !!

When questioned regarding the "Half - Gyro" this was the name he gave to a non powwered Gyro Glider which he crashed whilst being towed behind a truck in Canada. . . !

Personally I've got no axe to grind regarding rotaries. . . . I blag flights in gyros whenever I get the opportunity, I'm just not wealthy enough these days to take a "G" course, NOR to purchase a machine later. . . !

There isn't any reduction in hours on the gyro training requirements here for GA or even previous H experience, and perhaps this is just as well.

Gyros seem to be much more useful than LSAs or Microlights here with the awful winds we get seemingly every weekend throughout the summer, especially throughout 2011 and 2012.

At our last fly - in, only five aircraft arrived, FOUR of which were GYROS, whose pilots kindly did lots of airex flights for visitors and members alike, and thus saved the day, in winds which pretty well grounded everything else. The second day, two more Gyros turned up, so that we could at least say we had a "Fly-In" !! On that day, the kids' bouncy castle as well as the Club's marquee were blown away.

Says it all really.

I was all primed up to let loose.......( bag gyros at your peril )

Ok phil..........let's just ( ozyies ) towel you pommes up with the oncoming cricket ashes...........( back under me rock reeeel quick )001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif001_smile.gif.6386dc7a3bee1687774534e35ad7aba8.gif

• Like 1

That engine doesnt have carby heat. One day you'll be able to pick the leaves from the trees.

mine does but i didn't think it was a big issue on slide carbs (not trying to drift the thread here)

I was all primed up to let loose.......( bag gyros at your peril )Ok phil..........let's just ( ozyies ) towel you pommes up with the oncoming cricket ashes...........( back under me rock reeeel quick )001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif001_smile.gif.6386dc7a3bee1687774534e35ad7aba8.gif

OK Mate, well. . . . we're havin a hard time with the Indians at the moment, could do with an easy job in OZ ( ! )

My Brother wants to buy a Gyro, but can't make up his mind between an outdoor or indoor cockpit type !!!!!