How many younger recreational pilots are there?

Michael95

I wish i had have known about the RaAus when i was seventeen!

Welcome aboard, tell us about yourself and what your flying etc..

btw i'm only 28

edit: but i sometimes act 17 teehee

• Agree 1

Hi Michael, great to have a young pilot, I am sure that your input will be very valuable. Without you guys coming in, recreational flying will just fade away as the old blokes and girls are reduced to flying their electric mobility scooter!

G'day Michael! I used to be a 17 year old pilot, however that was a few years ago now - 21 now.

I have a couple friends that are young pilots... aussieaviatrixs on this forum is a young chicken... 058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif and I have a mate who is only a young pilot also.

I was flying at 16 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Where about's are you flying from?

There are certainly quite a few young instructors and students at the aeroclub at Jandakot, but most of the club members seem to have grey hair and wear glasses. It's great to see a wide range of ages and experience in this forum though. I had my first lesson at 16 in a Piper Cherokee when I entered a competiton run by the local district aeroclubs in Victoria. First prize was a free PPL course!! Made it as far as the second round (14 out of 280), but that was it. I did get eventually my licence though - a mere 43 years later!

rgmwa

Great to hear from you all. My interest in aviation started when our family farm north of Bourke was flooded in 2010. We flew to and from Bourke in a number of helicopters to check the livestock which was very exciting. I started with a TIF in a Foxbat when I was 14 with a family friend. I went onto flying a Jabiru soon after. I went solo a week after my 15th birthday when the wx was suitable. I have been flying on weekends on and off during school and sometimes school holidays when I wasn't working up until now. I hope to find a job somewhere in aviation after I finish my last year of school.

IMG.jpg.d3aeae120673fc545cc7b0f0188740c2.jpg

• Like 2

I wish I had started at 17, it was still a pipe dream back then, now 28 and have just started flying........... 4 hours so far in a Jab, and 24 hours a day dreaming about the next lesson

Sitting here in Qantas Club about to head out for another 28 days at work, and already started a countdown! Going to be a very long swing this next month at this rate lol

Stick with it mate, you're in a very good position to take it where you want to

Welcome Michael, lots of wheezing geriatrics of course 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif but I think the main problem for young people is the cost. The nearest school to me charges $230 per hour, nice aircraft but for 99% of young folk this won't fly (hate to think what they charge for GA). Then they try and milk as many hours out of you as they can which I hear is a widespread problem.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the price difference isn't all that much between RA and GA anymore. I've seen some RA schools well up into the $200 mark and I can hire a sr20 for similar cost. DA20 for less then $200 and a c210 for $300. The relatively high initial price for the high end RA seems to be making it costly. It does however cost less to obtain aRA cert initally

Ahhh, to be young again to be young again.

Hang on I'm still only 49 for 2 more months. (BTW 50+ isnt old either if your feeling healthy)

Great to see younger ones training well done.

We have a young lass training at YWSL who is ready to solo, shame she can't for another 5 months but fantastic to see.

Great to see young ones starting to fly especially young women and NO not what your thinking you devious oldies.

Alf

might be a question for another thread but... what are people paying for hire of an RaAus aircraft these days..

I pay $150/hour wet ICP savannah S

when i was training it was $190 hour dual

might be a question for another thread but... what are people paying for hire of an RaAus aircraft these days..I pay $150/hour wet ICP savannah S

when i was training it was $190 hour dual

Hongie,

J160D at YWSL $135hr wet used to be $125 hr up until a couple of months ago, $175hr dual.

Alf