The cheapest way to fly

Virgin, hang glider

Not if you're in Tassie. On many occasions I drove my old XE Falcon 130km, lugged the hang glider to the top of the hill, then got a total of 5 minutes flight time. That's on the times the wind hadn't changed and was the wrong direction, too strong or non existent, in which case the glider got lugged back down again and driven back to Hobart. I reckon in terms of car fuel cost per hour of flight, even Qantas business class would be cheaper.

By far I would think the cheapest would be with a PPC (Powered Paraglider)... $4000 (or less) for a wing... $8000 (or less) for the motor... and say $2000 for Harness, Reserve Chute, Helmet, Radio etc

The License would cost you about $2000 as well... And you can carry it in the back of your car and fly from just about any fairly open area in fair weather...

I could kick myself looking back in hindsight... I could have trained and purchased my own Aircraft for not too much more than this Ra-Aus futility has cost me over the last 3 years.... I have been for a Tandem Paraglide with Jean Luc at Carlo Sandblow... I would thoroughly recommend it...

http://www.paraglidingrainbow.com/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7a3yC6Lv8L4vjB-3YPDxau6z1Wdw2Y00gVaUX4120U1CFesyg

• Agree 2

I looked into this when wanting to buy and found nothing in RAA is massively cheaper after you are over the initial purchase, as a 503 and 912 both need a hangar and fuel and maintenance. Most can't do their own. And insurance. Buying for $20k did not make it cost one fifth of the cost if a $100k SportStar to own on a month by month basis.

So remove those fixed costs and join a gliding club. Very skillful flying, in a plane with wings, skills that can help you fly other fixed wings, much cheaper, and a nice social environment.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

So.What is the cheapest way to be flying,and the cheapest aircraft you can own/ maintain .other than mine?

Jump off the edge of a cliff. For those who dont like that cheerful thought, spend a bit more on a parachute bought on gumtree- $50 ono

• Haha 2

For me I can't get past my powered parachute ,after ga flying,lowest slowest,best and closest to really flying,yes can't go anywhere but,why fly to bumf..k then walk to town for $$$,maintain it yourself add 17 ltrs per hour that's it.tow it anywhere see it all ,almost for free ,yep sounds like I'm preaching ,but if I can save one from wasting time/money like i did ill be happy.wish I found this a long time ago.would have saved lots $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ only thing I miss is a good crosswind landing,not a lot of skill required with a one axis machine ,but its very relaxing .safest way to get your bum of the ground ,and you can't beat flying at 500inches agl

• Like 2

Max 15 knot for take off can land in more,must be a 4stoke around but haven't seen one,go and get a tif totally different but good the same ,maintain yourself,add fuel and go.takes up about 2 meters square of space in shed on trailer,great flying along the coast.10 k buys low hrs second hand,no real ongoing cost bar plugs and fuel,I can take off in 20 mtrs solo,safest way to fly

• Like 1

Buy my aircraft - $100/wk or so for the loan, $50 for the hangarage and then fixed costs of about $20/hr for fuel and $10/hr for maintenance. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Fly more than an hour a week and you're better off than hiring.

If you want the cheapest method of flight possible then yes, gliders would be the way to go. They're a fantastic method of flying and a wonderful experience I'd recommend to anyone. My first glider flight (unlogged) was tandem from a winchlaunch - a real hoot! Lasted a few minutes and got a few mild thermals to keep us going, even got a shot at the controls... which was a great thing for 13 year-old me. You can pick gliders up fairly cheaply as well if you're interested in buying your own.

- boingk

For me I can't get past my powered parachute ,after ga flying,lowest slowest,best and closest to really flying,yes can't go anywhere but,why fly to bumf..k then walk to town for $$$,maintain it yourself add 17 ltrs per hour that's it.tow it anywhere see it all ,almost for free ,yep sounds like I'm preaching ,but if I can save one from wasting time/money like i did ill be happy.wish I found this a long time ago.would have saved lots $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ only thing I miss is a good crosswind landing,not a lot of skill required with a one axis machine ,but its very relaxing .safest way to get your bum of the ground ,and you can't beat flying at 500inches agl

As long as you remain at least 500 inches above ground, below that height you will require the permission of the 'Rabbit Warren's' owner. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Alan.

Yes I do miss the three axis sometimes ,but being from ga and now let ASIC and medical slip have to go with instructor next time$$$,more likely be better to convert to raa lic then rent until home Reno completed and have more spare cash. I've not long found this ppc flying and wish that I found it long ago,for 17lts of fuel per hrs only cost,I just feel that I need to tell all that if money is tight this may be worth a look its great fun and the most relaxing way you can fly ,dont even have to manage airspeed .many ga people turn there noses up at the thought of ppc don't know why,if I could get em in one they may change there mind. True low and slow flying .Still the dream of building my own light aircraft is alive and well but prob have to wait till kids all gone.untill then........

How about one of those flying suits- the missus could make one up for you with a bit of material from spotlight, and an overlocker. She could get some black material for herself in reserve.

• Haha 1

Guest Howard Hughes
As long as you remain at least 500 inches above ground, below that height you will require the permission of the 'Rabbit Warren's' owner. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gifAlan.

RAA - Rabbit Area Authorisation??

Quite often when I am out walking/riding a couple of PPC's take off from the beach near Wonoona. They waddle up and down the coast for a while, then pack it all back in the boot and head home, looks like quite a hoot.

Can also find hang gliders 'ridge surfing' at Sandon point when the wind is from the right direction, looks so effortless and like they could stay up there all day!