Instructor's Forum

Admin

I think it has been agreed by many that the idea of having an Instructors Only forum would be a positive one here on Recreational Flying. The forum will be private and only viewable to Instructors for them to use in a manner that will assist them.

The next step will be to:

- devise some form of verification of an Instructor's rating

- devise some form of visibility/promotion that the forum does exist for Instructors to use

- appoint a moderator for that forum (they can initially decide between themselves)

It is also hoped that there will be some kind of "spill" into the general forums by them on anything that would be beneficial for Recreational Flying users to discuss plus they may well choose to discuss in the Instructor's Forum any common element that may become apparent in the general forums and agree on an approach to help users on such matters.

I hope that Instructors will make use of it and it becomes a great tool for them here on Recreational Flying...please stay tuned for this initiative to be up and running very soon.

Thanks to John M for this idea in helping to improve the resources available here at Recreational Flying...if you have any ideas on how Recreational Flying can be improved for every one please let me know.

• Like 3

The RAA instructors will be happy with a self assessed FIGJAM certification, the GA boys will want some sort of CASA certified endorsement. Then you will need to further split the forum into two sections, love or money, to stop arguments between the camps.

Sounds like a lot of work, I think you should charge a commercial rate to cover costs, future training needs, insurance, time spent adjudicating arguments etc, after all you can't do it for free, CPU time isn't getting any cheaper you know.

• 1 month later...
Is it going to be open to instructors outside Australia? There are a few international people on here....

Possibly but a decision needs to be made on something else first which will flow on to that

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed the instructor forum has not been a major success and I feel I saw that coming, if it were more like an advise

or question forum it would be a helpful tool and where instructors could share tales of common faults. Instructors could register with the site and use names that will not associate them with any school as I know very well that instructor don't always agree

on certain things, my dream as a student pilot was to ask a question to all the instructors I ever did a lesson with and then leave and lock the door and let them fight. I trained HGFA, AUF and GA, all are keen to bag the others. It would be good if some students could ask question and get answers from a wide range of experience that is on this site. Just a thought.

I think it is still early days yet and has been promoted but it will be once the Business Directory is up and running as it will go hand in hand with the Schools section of the Business Directory

If there are any Instructors wanting access to the Instructor's Forum then just click the "request access" link next to the forum in the forums list page

I've noticed the instructor forum has not been a major success and I feel I saw that coming, if it were more like an adviseor question forum it would be a helpful tool and where instructors could share tales of common faults. Instructors could register with the site and use names that will not associate them with any school as I know very well that instructor don't always agree

on certain things, my dream as a student pilot was to ask a question to all the instructors I ever did a lesson with and then leave and lock the door and let them fight. I trained HGFA, AUF and GA, all are keen to bag the others. It would be good if some students could ask question and get answers from a wide range of experience that is on this site. Just a thought.

Good point Ian, we wouldn't see the discussions.

That is what the student forum is for...you can ask questions and get a discussion going however that is not limited to just instructors as how else what you be able to ask questions if the general user didn't have access to it

I for one think it is a good idea, I see quite a few transferred students from other schools as most of us probably do as well. This should be a good forum to discuss teaching differences, styles and information so not only will the bar be raised but, even in a fairly small sample help improve consistency. Yesd we all have to pass RA /CASA audits but the real oil seldom gets discussed.

Maybe that could be a good 1st topic " dealing with transferring students".....

Also the GA/RA convergence is coming. Make no mistake, what opportunities and threats will this convergence create- who will be the winners and losers? A subject worth discussing.

Finally- Regionalising RA Aus again, should the states and FTF 's have more say in local operations?

Lets get the ball rolling.......