Instructor's Forum

Admin

Just want to get feedback on if there would be any demand for a forum just for Instructors?

It would be a locked forum with only users who are instructors able to post and view...this would mean some form of proof of having an Instructor Rating would be required so we would need a solution to how we would do that.

The Instructor's Only forum would provide an avenue for Instructors to discuss between themselves anything relating to their rating, their training methods, the syllabus and how they approach it, their trials and tribulations etc, all providing an avenue for Instructors to help each other in this demanding field.

This welcomed suggestion has come from a site user and I would like to say thanks to that user for offering suggestions on how to improve the Recreational Flying web site for everyone

• Like 1

I think it'd be a great idea, though i am not an instructor. Seems like a valuable resource for those who are! But would it need to be hidden from view? Seems like it could be informative to be able to view what instructors talk about, while not having the permission to post to that section. i'll let others chime in, but objectively it sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it's a great idea and I also think it'd be a shame to hide it from view, preventing posting permissions for those who aren't instructors might be a better option. The instructors can always go private if there's a need on a specific issue. My reason for suggesting keeping it open to view is to allow the up and coming pilots who may have an interest in instructing, to learn more about it from those already doing it. And even perhaps encourage some to return to it. I taught in the 1980s and worked my way up to CFI and these days every time I go for a course or BFR I have been asked if I would consider returning to instructing, so it would appear there is a shortage.

I see it as a definite plus for instructors, and would keep it open and visible only to instructors.

This way participants could have open and frank discussions at 'instructor' level without the added compromise of others (not instructors) who may form views out of context.

Pud

• Agree 4

I am very much in favour of a forum for Instructors.

A couple of topics that come to mind are:

* the Ops Manual update (or lack thereof),

* the training syllabus (what needs to be changed/added/deleted?),

* problem students,

* training records, etc.

On balance I think it would be better if it were an instructor only forum, particularly when discussing problem students and student problems - so that they are not able to identify themselves (or think they do) and get angry/discouraged/disappointed, etc.

I have thought for some time that it would be a good idea for there to be a way for RAAus instructors to get together to discuss training issues. My thought was to suggest an instructor forum/workshop/seminar at Natfly and possibly also organised at regional centres.

I also think that a more formal approach to instructor training and standardisation through RAAus is in order.

There does not seem to be much guidance from that quarter at the moment.

For one thing, there is no syllabus and very little guidance on instructor training in the Ops Manual (or elsewhere in RAAus literature(?)).

072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

David 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 4

Has been tried before. It met a lot of resistance, because every one has an opinion and they want to share it..lol..Ive almost given up on the student thread, it seems you cant offer a reasonably educated opinion without people jumping on you about something. I even had a really nasty PM from a bloke that said hes sick of me and my mates (the other instructors) pretending we know evrything on the student threads. Was pretty upsetting to be honest, some of us devote considerable time to helping people. But as with everything else in life, you can never keep everyone happy..:)

• Agree 5

The thread should be closed - just for the instructors

Having said that - flying is gas, strip, plane and instuctors - instructurs are a very important part of the whole thing

It would be interesting & informative for us non instructurs to have 'read' access only - to see what instructors issues are

Having said that - would instructors post threads if they can be viewed by all and sundry ?

Some would post the same incorrect garbage they've been posting, because they don't know they don't know, and we would be locked out, with the only recourse being to start corrective threads of our own, and wouldn't that become a mess.

Better for them to have the resource in the name of improvement, and the good instructors be able to belt the wallys in private - the aim should not be to have a freak show, but be able to have safer flying.

It could well be though that as a group they may zero in on some of our bad habits and start open threads, and that would be good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

There was always an instructors seminar at Natfly. I remember Motz and Carol at their debut.

Face to face is the go. Another thing is that not all instructors are of great experience and they would admit that. Everyone has to start somewhere. Ask YOUR instructor is valid as a process, because he/she is dealing with you and should be the one to follow up on your problems or questions. While they may not have all the answers, (no one does) it is their responsibility to point you to where you can get it.

There are plenty of experienced pilots who have reasons to not instruct. "don't have the patience, can't cope with the BS and paperwork Just want to fly now etc etc". Should this source of knowledge be left out?

If you are going to have a forum of instructors, work out what you want it to do. If it is to form a "base for facts", it would need peer review and moderation. If it is for instructors to get opinions how others handle problem "learners" it could get problematic as a record is kept. If it is a forum for strutting your wares, it will fall in a heap.

I confess I like the challenge of instructing, being an ex chalkie it's sort of in my blood. I don't mind if a student flys better than me. Ive done every PMI thing CASA requires for GA. The treatment of this facet of instructing by the RAAus is inadequate, and just shows what they don't know. Anything to make it better is OK but I don't know how this will go. Nev

thanks FH - in your above post you have given some small insights to a 'non-instructor'

instruction is important - it would be good to get some insights into instruction issues - might not happen ............ but it would be good

instructors might never contribute, or as tplanner suggests .......................... information could spiral into a seething morass of opinion

Yeah, that would be good getting specific questions answered by instructors only!

I could look at getting some development done, will cost money though, to enable permissions where a user can create a thread in an Instructors forum and ONLY the Instructors and the person creating the thread can view the thread and its posts.

PLEASE remember that this site should NOT be a substitute for your own Instructor but rather as a 2nd opinion or if you don't have access to an Instructor or for information before going to your own Instructor

• Informative 1

I could look at getting some development done, will cost money though, to enable permissions where a user can create a thread in an Instructors forum and ONLY the Instructors and the person creating the thread can view the thread and its posts.PLEASE remember that this site should NOT be a substitute for your own Instructor but rather as a 2nd opinion or if you don't have access to an Instructor or for information before going to your own Instructor

Yeah, your right, guess it is more problematic to set these things up in reality! Seems simple enough untill you start looking at the practical problems involved in something like this!

I could look at getting some development done, will cost money though, to enable permissions where a user can create a thread in an Instructors forum and ONLY the Instructors and the person creating the thread can view the thread and its posts.PLEASE remember that this site should NOT be a substitute for your own Instructor but rather as a 2nd opinion or if you don't have access to an Instructor or for information before going to your own Instructor

That would create a situation similar to what happened with the ill fated Mentors - you could have instructors with very bad habits offering advice based on the written word which itself may be ambiguous - better that happens in open forum where peer comments usually catch it out and correct it.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Just want to get feedback on if there would be any demand for a forum just for Instructors?It would be a locked forum with only users who are instructors able to post and view...this would mean some form of proof of having an Instructor Rating would be required so we would need a solution to how we would do that.

The Instructor's Only forum would provide an avenue for Instructors to discuss between themselves anything relating to their rating, their training methods, the syllabus and how they approach it, their trials and tribulations etc, all providing an avenue for Instructors to help each other in this demanding field.

I agree with Ian's original concept here - an Instructor only forum.

"...some form of proof of having an Instructor Rating ..." could be via RAAus member number. The RAAus web site lists (presumably all) CFIs, SIs, and Instructors. It would mean a certain amount of loss of anonymity but it would only be to the site administrator and I don't see that as a bad thing anyway.

Perhaps a poll would be in order, with a question such as "For INSTRUCTORS only! Would you like to have an Instructor Only forum on this site?" With answers 'Yes', 'No' or 'Maybe'. This may elicit some responses by non-instructors but would, I hope, give some indication of the demand.

OR, just set up the Instructor Only forum and see how it goes.

[in other words, stop messing about and do something about it. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif ]

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

[in other words, stop messing about and do something about it. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif ]

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

As much as I would like to I can't look at things in isolation as there is so much going on with the site and future functionality that is coming...add to that that it is only today that I can relax a bit on the software we use here. Today it was announced that a legal battle that had the potential to completely close down the software that we use here has concluded. This has been going on for 2 years and has made any development decisions extremely difficult not to mention the questioning of money that I have been paying out for some of the things that are now available on the site.

For those that remember we use to use vBulletin software but a couple of years ago I saw huge potential in the technology that was being used to develop a forum software product. It was new, it was unproven, it was risky and whilst it had some different features to the software we were using at the time, it certainly had far less features overall than what we needed at the time. It was a huge risk converting over to the software that we use today, in fact we did so before it was even formally released, but the legal battle has always placed a cloud over what I do every day. So I am very happy that as of today I can get on with a direction that will see this site an even greater resource for all without the worry of whether it would all be at a loss or detrimental to all you users.

Sorry for sidetracking a bit but...I have a vision...............................................065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 2

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.

Keep going Ian - we all shall surely follow

Take it easy, you'll have him handing out loaves and little fishes at Natfly

• Haha 1