Rain, rain go away!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup, been getting my Navs cancelled for months now, I've almost forgotten everything I learned (that was SUPPOSED to have been cemented in with the Navs). Had I known, I'd have put off the briefings a little while. I remember enough to know how to find the info I need, but its definitely not top of mind like it was... bugger!

Oh, so we thought OK skip the navs and let's just go down to YWOL to get the solo hours knocked out. 2 hour drive down and OH WAIT... the rain followed me!

I tell ya, there are days when its hard to maintain enough enthusiasm to keep going. Family and friends have been hearing the "I'm supposed to solo this weekend" speech for months, I don't think they care anymore...

maybe this weekend! 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

• Informative 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish weather forecasting was an exact science cause then I would know when I would be able to go flying again.086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Sign displayed at a Met Briefing Office some years ago:

"This is a non-prophet organisation!" 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As much as I am down on SA with its terminal economic decline and inept high taxing government gotta admit it has pretty much the best flying weather. Useful when there are few safe roads and almost no highways! 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

I think reading Eric's report on flight training at Ghoulburn (sic) made me realise this! Some more rain would be welcome here though, also been waiting for ages for a little wind to practise cross wind landings.

Whats the world coming to,when you just cant go flying.May packup and go to say England for some better weather:roflmao:

May as well - probably would be much of a muchness weather wise. However, for the past 2/52 I have been babysitting pylon500's animal farm and have two planes at my disposal, one of which is mine. I just wanna go flyin!051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Finally got to get home today, a bit tricky around Kilroy, Gatton.

Bob from Dalby in his Pioneer blasted the way. Waved cherrio near Toowoomba

Thanks again Bob

Worth the effort as you don't get tail winds all the way to SA from Caloundra very often

Guest Maj Millard

planet47, So your babysitting Pylons' place...I've been there for coffee ...nice setup !.....must be crazy knowing that lovely strip is just on the other side of the fence ..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Like I said Maj - I just wanna go flyin!:crying:Look out the loungeroom window past the hanger straight onto the grass strip that's now closed till the 12th of never. Listening to helicopters going night and day at the moment above the house. I even mowed out to the access point and then THE RAIN CAME ! :crying:Don't care about the road that disappears under water cause the ute survived that without any problems on several occasions but next time he will have to be able to give a long range weather forecast and guarantee its accuracy up until the day of their return plus provide a rabbit hutch with a handle that stays on.

086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Guest Maj Millard

C'mon Planet, It's a big hangar I'm sure there are planes that need polising, or some you can sit in and make noises !!!...........................................................Maj...007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

Its not the real deal - last day today and the sun is now shining but the ground is so wet I almost got bogged going up to the hangar to feed the animals.

029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif............................................................029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif............................................................029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

By the way what are you doing to that prop of yours and did you ever get to say hello to Jasmin?

Met office says there is a possible cyclone developing N of Townsville and well out to sea. Will not be a threat to Southern coast. If I remember that is what they said about Oswald. Look out Bundy.I note that the doomsayers are now saying all these disasters are because of global warming. I think a lot of them aren't new, but in the old days we never heard about them. In the 70"s we never heard of Boyne Island flooding, nor Agnes Water and Bundy was never so bad. But in the old days the total population of those places was so small they never got a mention.

Yenn, I was born in Maleny SEQ, and brought up on a dairy farm until late 50's. I remember the summer rains very well. We had 20 inches in one day - no wonder Gympie and Maryborough used to flood. The whole of Q was flooded every summer - but because communication was both limited and slow - it wasn't big news to anyone. Took many days for the CM to reach anywhere.

What's driving the climate change debate is a viciously competitive visual media which flourishes on easily obtained video of extreme events. And, we have a population who've been brainwashed into believing that we are all doomed unless we cough up our tax dollars to fund misguided 'science' into changing a climatic trend. A bit more CO2 is great for plants - the world will produce more food - as it will need to, in order to feed the extra billions who'll soon inhabit the world

If you want to live amongst the forest - you'll be a prime target for fire. If you want to build on a coastal sand dune - be prepared to be blown or eroded. Live on a floodplain - regardless of how much of a housepad you have - you'll eventually get flooded. The fact is - too many people are tempting fate!

Climate has been changing since creation - whether we can, or should, try to alter it - is the main question.

happy days,

• Agree 3

Climate has been changing since creation - whether we can, or should, try to alter it - is the main question.

Yep, that's dead right, but one of the issues is NOT the fact that its changing, its the speed of the change which is unprecedented, and its effect on an advanced culture, that is so interdependent, that minor hiccups can cause major effects

And even if all the thousands of scientists are wrong about climate change, would the world be a worse place to be if we cut down on carbon emissions?

fund misguided 'science'

If only it was science!!! A lot of scientists are not game to publish the contra evidence because so much of the research funding is distributed by the pro's that they wouldn't get a look in for future funding.

Of course they haven't got us all brainwashed or we wouldn't be able to justify to ourselves, burning irreplaceable fossil fuel into CO2 in pursuit of our recreation. I just don't know how we live with ourselves.

I only have a skinny logbook(yet) so my conscience only has a little dent in it.

• Agree 1

And even if all the thousands of scientists are wrong about climate change, would the world be a worse place to be if we cut down on carbon emissions?

It will be if we have to live with the stench of the millinos who have to starve because we have sold out our right to produce their food for the sake of the environment. The more there are to feed the less fussy we can afford to be about how we produce the food for the hordes or they will take our productive land and feed themselves, that is what hungry hordes do!

• Agree 2

Yep, that's dead right, but one of the issues is NOT the fact that its changing, its the speed of the change which is unprecedented, and its effect on an advanced culture, that is so interdependent, that minor hiccups can cause major effectsAnd even if all the thousands of scientists are wrong about climate change, would the world be a worse place to be if we cut down on carbon emissions?

Tell that to the volcanoes that erupt around the world, the amount of co2 and emissions from that event are not equalled by any developed county that I can think of. Sorry but just can't swallow the BS from governments about this subject.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

If only it was science!!! A lot of scientists are not game to publish the contra evidence because so much of the research funding is distributed by the pro's that they wouldn't get a look in for future funding.

Cowards!

My theory if the 100,000 year old ice is melting, it's not getting colder. No science degree just an observation. The only thing I know that melts ice is heat.

Tell that to the volcanoes that erupt around the world, the amount of co2 and emissions from that event are not equalled by any developed county that I can think of.

We burn 80million+ barrels of oil and 100s of ship loads of coal. Every day, day after day after day for 100 years.

Must be a bloody big volcano.

Burt Rutan's article - an engineers critique of global warming science - indicates that some scientists or agencies may not be operating in a truly scientific manner, of course no offence meant to those scientists who truly are objective, factual etc in their work. I suspect though, that there is a large number who rely on Govt grants and funds from other organisations that have an agenda and a certain outcome is almost predictable

burtrutan downloads EngrCritiqueCAGW-v4o3.pdf

Anyway, would nice to fly soon!

So when did you get telephones and cameras in Melany?

When I went off for an eddikshun, cows still had right-of-way in the main street!

happy days

We burn 80million+ barrels of oil and 100s of ship loads of coal. Every day, day after day after day for 100 years.Must be a bloody big volcano.

You have a very warped sense of our world oil and coal reserves, no risk of paying through the nose for peak oil in your take on things!

To all before me on this page (3), all I wanna do is go flyin!

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, rewrite textbooks or reform govenment policies. I don't care who gets government funds because I know from previous experience that if one mob doesn't get it another one will, whether they are minority or majority or anywhere in between. Volcanoes - who cares! Flood plains - who cares! Sand dunes - who cares! I just wanted to express my frustration at not going flying due to adverse weather conditions when I had the opportunity to do it every bloody day for 2 weeks.

086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Most research funding isn't distributed directly by the government, but a bunch of boffins around a big table, who once would have worn white coats. They fund the projects that have their prefered flavour!

• Agree 1

Most research funding isn't distributed directly by the government, but a bunch of boffins around a big table, who once would have worn white coats. They fund the projects that have their prefered flavour!

Actually - not true of agricultural science anyway. I'm with a rural funding body which annually distributes $150m to some 800 projects across Australia. It's a very democratic process, with scientists,advisors and farmers all at the same 'table' For most research priorities, we call tenders, and decide on the quality of these. I can assure you that the 'flavour-of-the-month' subjects are treated very impartially on the basis of scientific and industry merit.

On the other hand, we have the political side of 'funding' pet projects - which is in the hands of people with not only little knowledge of their subject matter - but usually holding a political agenda.

happy days,