Pilot's Watch

Ok this is more of a silly one... but what's a nice watch to buy, maybe with an altimeter? I've been looking for a watch for some time now but since I'm also starting to fly, I wonder if there's a good watch to buy to compliment... SUPERFICIAL but keen. 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I will see what I can find...you will need to use your watch, or a timer of some kind, when you are doing your cross country endorsement

Ok this is more of a silly one... but what's a nice watch to buy, maybe with an altimeter? I've been looking for a watch for some time now but since I'm also starting to fly, I wonder if there's a good watch to buy to compliment... SUPERFICIAL but keen. 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Hi John, just send you a private message on the range of pilot watches the shop we have here on this site has

Any watch will do fine as long as it's easy to read and keeps the correct time. Anything more fancy may look good but probably won't help your navigation much.

rgmwa

Here is an aviators watch that just about tells you what jocks to wear:

OBSERVER ST WRISTOP COMPUTER

OBSERVER...Barometer, Altimeter, Compass, Chronograph

Suunto Observer measures your vertical ascents and descents, as well as the total number of runs skied and shows all that easily with one press of a button. It provides you with reliable information on barometric pressure and temperature and functions as a digital compass. Additionally, it has a calendar, clock, dual time display, and a stopwatch. Its timeless design makes it wearable in any casual situation; it includes an easy-to-read display with an extra-ordinarily wide viewing angle, electroluminescent backlight and a user-replaceable battery. Because of its moderate size and stylish design it is perfectly suitable for both men, as well as women. For extra toughness and reduced weight, Suunto Observer is also available in titanium.

Product Features

• Altimeter: Altitude, vertical speed, logbook function with quick-access button, memory capacity 99 logs, history memory, alti/baro lock, temperature compensation

• Barometer: Sea level pressure, absolute pressure, weather trend indicator, temperature, automatic 4-day barometric memory, alti/baro lock

• Compass: Bearing, cardinal bearing, bearing tracking, North-South arrow, declination setting

• Chronograph: Calendar, 3 alarms, dual time, stopwatch with 99 split/lap times

• Material options: Suunto Observer Sr - stainless steel housing with elastic strap (80 g),

• Suunto Observer St - stainless steel housing with stainless steel elastomer strap (100 g),

• Suunto Observer Tt - top-of the-line model - titanium housing with titanium elastomer strap (75 g)

• Water resistant to 30 m (100 ft)

Guest airsick
Here is an aviators watch...

Be careful what you buy as it may not really be an 'aviators' watch.

Your aircraft may be fitted with the required instruments but if you're using your watch for navigation purposes you may wish to consult the CAOs for some guidance. They clearly state the following requirement in terms of equipment that must be carried:

"an accurate timepiece indicating the time in hours, minutes and seconds. This may be carried on the person of the pilot or navigator."

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule but many RAA aircraft will not be exempt and thus , if you're relying on your watch to meet this requirement, it must display seconds. From the information provided here and a quick google search it doesn't look like this watch meets the requirements.

But if you're like me and buying a watch simply as a gimmick then go nuts! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I bought a Sports Timer from Gladstone Hi-Fi, which is like Dick Smith, dirt cheap, 3 for $20 and no problems so far. Doesn't have altimeter, but if you fly the plane should have that. Has an alarm and stopwatch. Easy to read.

Here you go mate, complete with hours, minutes, seconds, date and alarm:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CASIO-F91W-DIGITAL-WATCH-RETRO-VINTAGE-BLACK-F91-W-1-CLASSIC-ORIGINAL-UNISEX-/321062848593?pt=AU_Watches&hash=item4ac0d64851

Free postage, too, and for $19 its hardly a bank breaker. Casio, too, so it'll be reliable. Who gives a stuff if it doesn't look fancy... people will be impressed by your expertise in flying, not by the watch you wear on your wrist.

Might buy one myself, actually...

Cheers - boingk

I use to buy the $10 watches from petrol stations and wear them till the battery ran out as the hassle and cost of having a good watch and the cost of battery replacement if the watch is waterproof and scratches on the glass etc just didn't seem right. For years I used the $10 watches and threw them away when the battery ran out but then Corrine gave me a unique Seiko watch for a present, I think it cost around $800 and many people comment on it's design. However the glass is now scratched and have gone through about 4 batteries...hate to think what the glass replacement is going to cost me

Yeah there's a certain something about special watches, I'd never buy one for myself though. I tend to want something that I don't mind doing an oil change with, that sort of thing. I love the high-end Seiko's and Breitling's. If you're wondering about the glass I'd take it to a watchmaker/jewellery store and see if you can have the glass reground. Cost a lot less and probably a common job.

Just had a read-up on the Casio F91W... apparently they're accurate to +/-30 seconds a month and a battery generally lasts for 7 years factoring in 20 seconds of alarm and 1 second of light-function use a day. That's not bad at all.

- boingk

• Haha 1

Ian, regarding your watch which tells us which jocks to wear, could you list the colours and styles you have in your shop?? 109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif .Alan.

I am getting a list of them all and will put them into the shop...and even though Airsick says that particular one doesn't have secs, he is incorrect as it does.

If you're wondering about the glass I'd take it to a watchmaker/jewellery store and see if you can have the glass reground. Cost a lot less and probably a common job.- boingk

Thanks boingk, will do, I never take my Seiko to the Mr Minute type of battery replacement shop, always go to a Jeweller as they also test that it is still water proof after they replace the battery, costs a little more though...nothing worse with a good expensive watch to save $1 on the battery replacement and suddenly find it is ruined after you left it on and went swimming or something.

It is funny, Corrine got the watch from Seiko so I know it is a genuine Seiko however Google Images doesn't show my exact watch, a couple similar, and I have never seen one like it. Bubbleboy on the site here is a Watchmaker by trade...if he is going to AusFly this year I might see if he can bring his tools, if he still has them, and see what he can do with it because I won't part with it.

Good to hear, never seen a Mr Minute but I know the type.

My biggest frustration was once taking my Swiss pocketwatch (also a gift) to a trusted local jeweller for a replacement battery, as it tended to lose 5 seconds a day when it was on the way out. He returned it and said the battery was fine (he checks them) and a week later it died on me! Suppose I couldn't blame the fellow for doing his job, though, hey?

- boingk

I also have a Longines Pocket Watch that about 20 years ago with the help of Longines I was able to track its life. It was made in 1873 and Longines sent me a copy of the manufacture record. It was sent to a watchmaker in London where my Great Great Great Grandfather purchased it. From there it was passed down eventually to me when my Grandmother passed away. I have had the lid engraved with its ownership life and one day will be passed on to Lachlan. It was incredible how Longines helped me to track it with their records dating back so far

• Like 2

Love the Suunto watches. Got one with altimeter, compass and heaps of other crap. Well-priced too around the $200 bracket. Has a great big face with HUGE numbers on it so it's easy to read.