Landing Fees at Gladstone (YGLA)

rotor

New rules for Gladstone Airport are definitely not good.

All aircraft - no matter what size or registration now have to pay landing fees!

For us little folk that fly ultralights the fee is $10 plus GST. This also applies to the owners of Hangars and aircraft that have paid the yearly parking fee.

I'm led to believe that this is the only airport/airstrip in Australia that have these tough landing fees.

Last time I landed at Rocky it cost $20. I suppose we can't complain at Gladstone, the airport is used massively for the mines and gas plants, they spent millions on upgrading the strip with a big stuff all from State and Federal government. The only government money was for putting in the security systems for the airlines.

If you want fuel go to Old Station, they have plenty, call them by phone first to make sure someone will be there to unlock the pump.

Yenn the only reason they upgraded and lengthened was for the Gas companies fly in fly out .... why should we have to pay for their upgrade!!

Bundaberg just had a big extension and they didn't place additional costs on the little man.

Next year after the construction is finished they expect the rpt traffic to drop to 40% of what it is atm.

Fuel at Old Station was cheaper than Gladstone last time I looked ...

• Winner 1

Is their web page out of date?2012 - 2013 Itinerant aircraft under 2000kg and under 2 hrs parking FREE.

Is this no longer current?...

Apparently from discussion with the aerodrome office, yes. All landings will incur a landing fee.

.......... the bean counters will be positively salivating at aircraft doing circuits ?

One fella got his bill that had 4 landing on the one day stating "Training" on it ...... he's a bit disappointed he missed out on the flying, as he was at home that day and there must have been a gremlin flying it!

Frank, I can only find the 2011-2012 fees on their web page??

Sign of the times I'm afraid. In fact most airports charge fees. It's pretty uncommon for airports not to charge. I've been doing yearly weeklong travelling tours of multiple stops with my aero club for over ten years and its always followed by months of bills straggling in. Most times it's not much really and is irksome more than financially straining. Funny that we can spend $100 on fuel to get there $100 an hour on cost/maintenance etc etc and then get annoyed at a bill for $10 from an airport that costs money to exits for our convenience. I'm not pointing fingers cos I feel exactly the same way. But it's part of the human psyche I guess.

Most have discounted fees if you are doing circuits.

The extract says "parking free" not landings free. So they are consistent. Lots of airports charge for landings AND also charge for parking overnight. Some charge for parking on hard standing but not if you park on the grass etc etc.

Some charge if you land at all but others not if you buy fuel or stay overnight and pay parking fees etc. All sorts of combinations.

Many use Avdata pty ltd to collect their fees and Avdata Often get it wrong. They use CASA flight plans for billing and I have had bills for places I planned to go but didn't due to weather etc. also they monitor recorded information and if someone uses your call sign you get the bill. Had that happen before my aircraft had even been built! Or they mid-interpret call signs.

In their defence though they never complain if you contact them and say it wasn't me.

Check with your local airport owner and see if you can negotiate an avdata exemption fee for local flying/landings etc. I negotiated one with my local owner and pay a fixed yearly amount for all of the landings I do, or dont do. I have never objected to paying landing fees at airports I have landed at when travelling, as stated above, with the cost of fuel etc, the landing fee is minimal, and sometimes not even collected because I fly ultralight. I always give ident calls when landing or departing. I know that some people resort to not giving calls because of the avdata collection procedure being based on radio recordings but safety in the circuit comes first and I believe in being heard and seen, not taking my chances with other aircraft not knowing I am there. This is said as a private flyer, and I do not know what the charges are when relating to flying schools and commercial enterprises.

• Agree 1

Sign of the times I'm afraid. In fact most airports charge fees. It's pretty uncommon for airports not to charge. I've been doing yearly weeklong travelling tours of multiple stops with my aero club for over ten years and its always followed by months of bills straggling in. Most times it's not much really and is irksome more than financially straining. Funny that we can spend $100 on fuel to get there $100 an hour on cost/maintenance etc etc and then get annoyed at a bill for $10 from an airport that costs money to exits for our convenience. I'm not pointing fingers cos I feel exactly the same way. But it's part of the human psyche I guess.

Well said Jaba. As the manager of a Certified Aerodrome, I know the costs involved with maintaining Certification.

What is recieved in landing fees runs well short of that required to maintain the aerodrome.

It always amazes me when the topic of landing fees comes up that some of those who fly recreational aircraft still think they should be exempt from landing fees.

WHY?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

rotor

You are correct, I was sure I read 2012-2013 but on checking I can't find it again so I must be going crosseyed or blind.

Jaba-who

Landing Charges Itinerant Aircraft & Helicopters

For Aircraft with Maximum Take-Off Weight of less than 2000kg

Landing Fee Nil

Parking Fee

(a) Parking for less than a total of 10 days in any financial year Nil

(b) Parking for a total period of more than 10 days in any financial year

For 30 days of part thereof 7 0.00 Inclusive Commercial Section 262(3)© LGA 2009

I.e

10 days 70.00

This was what I was referring to, but as it is out of date it is no longer relevant.

Last time I landed at Rocky it cost $20. I suppose we can't complain at Gladstone, the airport is used massively for the mines and gas plants, they spent millions on upgrading the strip with a big stuff all from State and Federal government. The only government money was for putting in the security systems for the airlines..

As pointed out by others Yenn... Why should Tax payers provide Welfare to mining giants?

Used to be that mining companies provided infrastructure... those of us who remember called them the good old days.

• Like 1

Jabba, these are aircraft that live at Gladstone - not passing through. They live here!

Well said Jaba. As the manager of a Certified Aerodrome, I know the costs involved with maintaining Certification.What is recieved in landing fees runs well short of that required to maintain the aerodrome.

It always amazes me when the topic of landing fees comes up that some of those who fly recreational aircraft still think they should be exempt from landing fees.

WHY?

I think you've missed the point I'm trying to make here 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif these people are paying hangar fees or yearly parking fees. This is THEIR airport. Up until now even itinerant aircraft below 2000kg havent had to pay a landing fee!(including GA aircraft). Now, all aircraft have to! Having come from a managerial background I can understand the way your thinking.

It always amazes me that once a council becomes incorporated they think that they have to make a profit out of their rate payers!!! All of a sudden we work for them whereas they once worked for us!!

• Agree 3

Yep welcome to the world.

I live at Cairns. Pay a fortune for a hangar space there.

And then I get fees to land as well. Until recently I also got air services changes.

You just have to think of them as different services. If you park and never take off/land you'd still pay same fee for parking and no landing fees. If you could magically take off without parking (or trailered your aircraft in from home each time you took off) you'd still get landing fees without the parking. As far as the airport is concerned they are different fees for different things.

WOW = $35 at Mildura.

Here it is $10 including GST but I do believe that it will be $10 + GST next financial year.

Wouldn't mind so much if the fee was related to the weight of the aircraft as I feel that I and other ultralighters subsidise some of the GA stuff here.

However what do you do - fly or not fly.

Maybe in the end it is just skyway robbery!

095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

• Agree 1