Area frequency query

Leaving for a trip to North West WA next week so should get some feed back if I am a nuisance.Phil.

Monitor ML or BN Center in the mid and NW of WA. There is a considerable amount of high speed FIFO traffic coming and going from places that are often not on your old WAC. Do a very careful update of ERSA, NOTAMS, and your maps, locating all the new minesites. You'll be amazed to see newly constructed, long, sealed runways servicing everything from A320,B717,Q400,F100,F50,DHC-8 and smaller stuff. They mostly all have discrete VHF frequencies. These hi speeders come down from the flight levels and often call on the CTAF some 30nm out... coming thru 10,000 more often. 126.7 won't cut it for most locations. 2 COMS, or 2 channel monitoring on a single VHF COM is a really useful capacity. Enjoy.

happy days,

Don't forget that gliders are (advised but) not required to monitor the FIA above 5000 and will usually be on their gliding frequency because they talk to one another all the time unless in a competition. They can be very hard to see!

Quadrantal rules don't seem to apply to gliders even above 5000 because they are always either going up or down (actually, they are always going down just sometimes the air they are in goes up even faster).

Always call the appropriate service such as Melbourne Radar or Sydney Radar when transiting a VFR Route.

First rule: See and avoid

Second rule: See rule one

Third rule: Maximise the chances of being seen (call position, height, intentions, lights)

• Like 1

KazNot that it makes any difference to your post but I believe quad in now referred to as hemi -

RE : Quadrantal rules

I believe is is called Semicircular/Hemispheric rule now.

Showing my age :-)

• Haha 1

Leaving for a trip to North West WA next week so should get some feed back if I am a nuisance.Phil.

Monitor ML or BN Center in the mid and NW of WA. There is a considerable amount of high speed FIFO traffic coming and going from places that are often not on your old WAC. Do a very careful update of ERSA, NOTAMS, and your maps, locating all the new minesites. You'll be amazed to see newly constructed, long, sealed runways servicing everything from A320,B717,Q400,F100,F50,DHC-8 and smaller stuff. They mostly all have discrete VHF frequencies. These hi speeders come down from the flight levels and often call on the CTAF some 30nm out... coming thru 10,000 more often. 126.7 won't cut it for most locations. 2 COMS, or 2 channel monitoring on a single VHF COM is a really useful capacity. Enjoy.

happy days,

Hi Poteroo and thanks for the tips.

I am pretty well prepared with 2 coms, transponder, 2X gps, Ozrunnways and latest maps and ersa.

I haven't loaded the Jab yet with the survival gear, tools, oil and such yet. I will do a weight check when loading. I may have to leave my darling behind 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Phil

Hi Poteroo and thanks for the tips.I am pretty well prepared with 2 coms, transponder, 2X gps, Ozrunnways and latest maps and ersa.

I haven't loaded the Jab yet with the survival gear, tools, oil and such yet. I will do a weight check when loading. I may have to leave my darling behind

Phil

Geez I wish I had a 230 !! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Quads changed to hemi when they gave IFR the thousands and VFR the five hundreds. before that there were 4 levels for 90 deg. tracks, instead of 2 for 180 deg.

I notice in the RAAus procedures liste dabove that they say Class E. there is no requirement to broadcast, but you must listen in for traffic conflict. If every VFR flight is just listening in they are the same as in class G, ie see and avoid. But the IFR traffic will not know much about them, unless of course they are operating legally and have their transponder going. I talk to a lot of RAAus pilots who think they an fly in Class E without a transponder.

• Informative 1

Phil

I see you are using ozrunways. If you use this programme for W&B it is so quick and easy.

It is hard to get a 230 out of balance (can be done) but the 600kg limit for long trips is fuel limiting. This allows you to do it without any maths. I didn't trust it at first but have done multiple manual cals. since setting it up for comparison and find the computer generated results to be accurate.

Maybe you are already doing it in which case igonre my post.

Regards

Thanks for mentioning this issue. Once again, "Flysafe" is a useful reference and makes it very clear that, while a clearance is not required, as well as radio a transponder must be fitted and operating if entering class E:

Class E airspace

Australian Class E is mid-level en route airspace, the general base of which is at 8500 feet amsl within SSR coverage and at FL180 in the remaining continental area. However, there are three Class E corridors with the base at FL125 and extending up to the overlying Class A. All aircraft require a clearance from ATC before entering Class A, B and C airspace, and a transponder must be operated. VHF radio-equipped VFR aircraft (including RA-Aus/HGFA/ASRA aircraft) may operate in Class E airspace without an Air Traffic clearance, but the pilot must:

maintain a listening watch on an appropriate frequency

fly VFR cruising altitudes below 10 000 feet (or cruising flight levels above the transition layer)

activate anti-collision lights

and the aircraft must be equipped with a properly functioning Mode A/C or S transponder with code 1200 selected and operating.

In addition, the aircraft altimeter should be accurate to within 100 feet. There is a general transponder exemption (AIP GEN 1.5 para 6.1.2) for aircraft not equipped with an engine-driven electrical system capable of continuously powering a transponder. Some specific transponder exemption conditions may be allowed subject to prior agreement with ATC; see AIP GEN 1.5 para 6.2.2.

RA-Aus/HGFA/ASRA aircraft operating in Class E must be equipped with a serviceable VHF communications system. The AIP Book is perhaps at variance with the CARs and CAOs, so it is not absolutely clear whether a hand-held unit is acceptable in controlled airspace. Hand-held transceivers approved by the Australian Communications and Media Authority are acceptable for use in RA-Aus/HGFA/ASRA registered aircraft operating in Class G airspace. See AIP GEN section 1.5 paragraphs 1.1, 1.2 and 1.5.

Kaz, are you aware that all of John's FlySafe articles are right here on Recreational Flying...accessed from the main menu Resources -> Tutorials

Ok read the fly safe articles on Radio. Now I am even more confused after reading that we should be monitoring 121.5. Certainly would be quieter than the area freq.

It's not got quite the same level of importance (at least for GA) now that we have mandatory ELB's operating at the higher frequency. It's the sort of thing that fits well with dual watch radios in more remote areas where you aren't running through numerous CTAFs or CTA.

Kaz