aircraft cleaning products

Hello,

I was just wondering what you use to clean the outside surface of your aircraft with. In particular the area where the exhaust builds up and leaves a greasy film.

Can anyone recomend a suitable cleaner.

thanks

Furio

Nev, the aircraft is not that old and is painted aluminium. i'm looking for a reliable product that won't damage the surface but will remove the greasy buildup from under the aircraft at the point where the exhaust exits. also if this product helps remove the wildlife (bugs) that happens to collect on the front surfaces eg leading edge then that would be great. currently i have been using water for the bugs but need to keep remove the sludge.

thanks for the recommendation dj.

F

Barr's Bugs is good for Guttus Insectus. It softens the gunk and warmwater will then remove it. For exhaust stain, try kerosene in warm water. (I know it doesn't mix but it works and doesn't harm paint) Finish with a bit of water rubbing compound and an auto polish. Nev

Hello,I was just wondering what you use to clean the outside surface of your aircraft with. In particular the area where the exhaust builds up and leaves a greasy film.

Can anyone recomend a suitable cleaner.

thanks

Furio

Hi , In case you don't know, for aluminium you need acid neutral products, Maguires have an auto wash that is acid neutral, not the wash and wax one, its available at most auto shops including supa cheap. It works ok.

Ive been told mr sheen is good, and also that it's is good for use on lexan or plexiglas windscreens? Apparently takes all those light scratches out of them. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

another one is sunlight soap - good gear I reckon - the good old cake of yellow soap - and plenty cheap to - soap it on with a rag and then come back for a second go and the exhause gunk goes

you can use for other things as well

having matrimonial problems ?; give your wife a good hot bath in sunlight soap - these problems will also be fixed in no time .... as well

Regarding the aeroplanes some of the degreaser's are caustic. I've completely given up using them on motorbikes as a residue around aluminium is exactly WHAT YOU DON'T NEED. Caps key stuck but I'll leave it. Nev

One BIG thing to consider when cleaning an aircraft is that if you have a "Plastic" fantastic, using many of these polishes like Mr Sheen etc will cause complications if you ever need to do a small repair. I believe they leave some kind of residue that will have an adverse impact on the repair and that special processes will need to be done prior to the repair. If the person doing the repair doesn't know that you have used these types of polishes then you/they will have problems.

Exactly what all this means I do not know as I am only saying what I have been told but say it to get extra info from anyone that may know more.

The other thing is to only use pH Neutral cleaners...even water isn't pH neutral. More info at:

http://www.composiclean.com/id24.html

Also to see the impacts on washing your aircraft even with just water over a long period of time:

http://www.composiclean.com/id26.html

As a cheap plug, the Recreational Flying Clear Prop Shop carries the Composiclean product range

• Informative 1

Cannot find cleaning products in the shop. Guidance please?

I will add them in the next day or so...there are thousands of products that are not displayed in the online shop so you can always give me a ring on what ever you may need