A new Oz engine on the way?

bexrbetter

Diesels require sudden high cylinder pressures concentrated to generate enough heat to self ignite

Never said to run the rotary as a diesel cycle, its a spark ignition engine. And you can spark ignite JetA, Its how the turbines operate. The PT6's run just fine with compressor ratio of 6.3 in early models and 10.8 in later and igniters to light the kero.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said to run the rotary as a diesel cycle, its a spark ignition engine.

Go back and read my last sentence where I addressed that.

Good reading here ..

dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA545309

Go back and read my last sentence where I addressed that.Good reading here ..

dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA545309

Interesting read, seems to be a desk audit of old info and just says more research i required(scientists always say that even when they come to a conclusion). So its still a possibility to achieve.

The wankel has a long shallow combustion chamber. One reason it will never have high efficiency. Too much area for volume . Diesel won't vapourise unless you heat it or inject it at high pressure. It also has a very LOW octane rating and incline the engine to knock. A small amount of it in avgas will kill the engine quickly and destructively. It's happened many times when erroneously added where the engine cowl says "TURBO" and the fueler takes it as turbine. Nev

• Informative 1