A new Oz engine on the way?

bexrbetter

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Has there been any progress on this front or are you majoring on the xpb

(there's an) ... aviation specific engine ... at sub $10K prices by the end of 2016.

80 to 120hp, there are different variations of specs, one of the other's intention is going straight up against Rotax and will match their 80 and 100, and later a turbo offering from the one base engine (as per Rotax) for example.

.... About to have it's first run.

I am waiting to see the results of it before I make further decision where I will go with mine. I am most interested in it's price point, if it can not be offered below $10K, then I will continue with mine.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
2016 will be a very good year for engine announcements, I am aware of 2 others (not related to my things and they are also not related to each other) that are well in progress that will help change the face of the sport and would suggest to anyone considering purchasing an engine soon to be patient for a little bit longer until those 2 also reveal their wares.

80 to 120hp, there are different variations of specs, one of the other's intention is going straight up against Rotax and will match their 80 and 100, and later a turbo offering from the one base engine (as per Rotax) for example.

Proud to say I did the intial design configuration and some sourcing of that one and very happy to see it maturing in extremely capable hands. Not their first production engine either (this is number 5 or 6 I think).

Well Guys, i know it's now 2017, but you now know of one of the engines mentioned here, our own Dave 'Flyvulcan' Turboprop, and I am quietly excited to mention that the 2nd engine...

.... About to have it's first run..

... has just run for the first time! Successfully on a dyno for half a day juggling between 75% and full rpms.

I can not give out details, not my position to, again I am posting this for those interested in engine'ing up in the very near future, please don't make a decision just yet, won't be long now.

I have been eyeing off mine again just recently as well, I may be in a better position later this year to get back into that, but still waiting and depends on how my Mate's engine shapes up over the next few months.

... and in further news, I have been offered complete electric drive systems, about 100HP equivalent, will be traveling to the factory this month I believe and pursuing it further, especially weight.

I would love to build an all electric, but it would have to be delta wing or similar to lift the extra weight, along with carry space for all the componentry and batteries.

• Like 5

... and in further news, I have been offered complete electric drive systems, about 100HP equivalent, will be traveling to the factory this month I believe and pursuing it further, especially weight.

I would love to build an all electric, but it would have to be delta wing or similar to lift the extra weight, along with carry space for all the componentry and batteries.

You may wish to start a new thread about the electric engine: I am all ears!

• Agree 1

For my next build, I'm planning to go hybrid.

Thinking of something like an AIE engine connected to a YASA generator, the engines flywheel,starter motor & alternator would not be needed as generator provides these functions.

2 YASA motors pancaked together but counter rotating driving counter rotating fixed pitch props,

Just enough batteries to help for TO and climb to alt then cruise on engine alone. Re-gen the batteries on descent.

Would be compact, run on multi fuel, lighter & more endurance than pure electric. And lighter weight to my current setup of mazda 13b+gearbox+CS prop.

What you think?

Andrew.

• Informative 1

Weight is your enemy. For both the AUW RAAus limit and the performance aspect. Nev

Yeah, could be right, But not all recreational pilots operate within the RAA limitations.

• Winner 1

That AIE engine and generator looks really interesting

The 40hp version with smaller/lighter generator & running at 100% continious with battery assist for TO/climb would compare with a direct driven IC RAA aircraft. a rotary is most efficient at redline and will sit there all day so is ideal in this combo. Will be noisier than just electric but much more endurance. Plus will run on JetA1, how cool would that be to line up with the turbines for your gogo juice.

• Like 2

If you need a lot more power in the take off phase and the machine can cruise on a lot less it will work well . I can't see a rotary running on Jet A-1 and a small diesel is out of the question, really. Nev

Yeah probably best for low drag airframes,

the rotary is naturally multi fuel, but spark ignited, not compression ignition. Just current car conversion variants are optimized for ulp.

Hi Bex

Not yet.

What could they mean by 'Heavy Fuels'

Steel jerry cans rather than plastic.

they boasted at the dealer conference that the Rotary would run on anything that could be inducted and igniteThanks

They lied (relative).

There does not exist a (single stage) diesel rotary engine in history. Diesels require sudden high cylinder pressures concentrated to generate enough heat to self ignite, Rotarys fail badly because of large surface area sucking out heat, the cylinder pressures take 1.5 times longer to build up than a piston engine, and that the charge of air can not be concentrated due to the 1/4 moon chamber shape and large area leakage.

Of course that's not literal, any engine type can be made to run on any existing combustible fuel, coal dust has been used for example, it's the effort for the results that determine the viability and rotarys are not viable.

You would have to ask them why they advertise "heavy fuels", their foundation rotary base is clearly nothing special and it would take a separate additional system such as injected compressed air to atomise a heavy fuel enough to ignite it with a spark plug.