Curious ...

I'm curious as to why someone thinks a rotting old featureless 1958 airplane without engine is worth $15,000 when I think it's worth $500 as a kids playground feature?

Is there some restorers market thing going? Is this a "Classic" (cough, cough) and of some value? just trying to understand, nothing more.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beachmere/miscellaneous-goods/aircraft-cessna-172-1958-model-4-seat-complete-in-storage/1010197238

With the SIDS on the ways for cessnas he may have to advertise its weight in kilograms yet, I'd consider it if it was cheaper though, they're a sweet looking plane with a taildragger conversion ,like a baby 180.

The CofA has been cancelled. To discover this you have to download the whole register from the CASA site as the quick search only shows a summary. Don't know how expensive it would be to restore the CofA. The engine is dismantled awaiting reassembly - suggests to me it is either not suitable for a rebuild or it is expensive.

Sue

I'd be checking for corrosion in the bar that runs across the cabin roof from the left to right hand wing mainspars. For this model, the part is a special order from Cessna and would take 6 months to deliver. (Did one a year or two ago). Engine is definately a rebuild, $30,000. CofA upwards of $5000. Assembly? A few guages missing $1000.

I reckon that puts the value of the stuff in the container at around $4000.

OME

I guess it really depends on how much it is corroded. As for the model It is a pretty early 172. Not something I would be prepared to be involved with as it's not particularly my type of plane even when restored. 172's, not really four seaters if you want to carry luggage and fuel, but there are worse planes to have. Nev

Why are shabby, tiny, 3 bedroom homes in a run-down, graffiti-ridden neighbourhood advertised for upwards of 6-800K (at least in the Sydney area) when I would not pay over 80K? Because enough fools* have paid it, now everyone thinks thats what their worth!

Same thing happened to classic cars when the Yuppies got their mitts on them as "investments"... back in the 80's, I owned an e-type jag as well as a '59 MGA, paid very little for them and didn't get much back. I just had them because I love them. Then someone got the bright idea of adding an extra 0 to the price on the principle that it will appear more desirable if its unaffordable.... and enough people took that bait I guess and here we are all this time later and I'll never be able to own the like again...

* naughty word removed by Mod.

back in the 80's, I owned an e-type jag as well as a '59 MGA, paid very little for them and didn't get much back. .

Yes I'm into classic bikes before they were "collectables" and "rare" (there's a good reason :censored:heaps are rare which does not make them valuable!).

I just don't see it in an old rotting plane of no consequence. The Ercoupe for sale here is an example of something collectable.

I blame the magazines such as Just Bikes etc.

My old man had an 1920's something Indian belt drive. Sold it to a bike shop for their window display for 25 quid.

Wonder its worth today?

Ah well, I could have bought a Jag XK120 in mint condition for $28 grand in 1970. so shouldnt complain.

Why are shabby, tiny, 3 bedroom homes in a run-down, graffiti-ridden neighbourhood advertised for upwards of 6-800K (at least in the Sydney area) when I would not pay over 80K? Because enough a**holes have paid it, now everyone thinks thats what their worth!Same thing happened to classic cars when the Yuppies got their mitts on them as "investments"... back in the 80's, I owned an e-type jag as well as a '59 MGA, paid very little for them and didn't get much back. I just had them because I love them. Then someone got the bright idea of adding an extra 0 to the price on the principle that it will appear more desirable if its unaffordable.... and enough people took that bait I guess and here we are all this time later and I'll never be able to own the like again...

Just had a look for E Types on Ebay and Cars - mostly just diecast models left - there's a 67 convertible in poor condition for a few thousand - I like them the best.

I left a Riley Kestrel with the 6 cylinder engine by the roadside when I left england, couldn't sell it. Would be worth a fortune in Australia today.

Anything is worth exactly what people are prepared to pay.

• Agree 1

I did worse than that, had a Vincent Comet - 44 mph in 1st, 77 in second, and eventually had a circlip fail and the gudgeon drive into the bore at 177 km/hr.

Rebuilt the engine, needed the money and sold it for $38