Straw poll - pilots/motorcyclists.

True! In defence of the good old BMW boxers though, at least they have bras bars to protect the heads from the over-enthusiastic rider.

I remember following the exploits of Reggie Pridmore, who campaigned BMs on American racetracks into the 70s. His modifications to BMWs were legendary, including converting the boxer into a very shallow V to get more corner clearance!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got home from performing unnatural acts on a very fast motorcycle in Darwin. My mate hired the Hidden Valley track for a day. I'm old enough to know better, but I saw some numbers on the speedo that I have never seen before...even though, while learning the track I stayed in 6th gear all day! The damned thing had power from 4k to 16k and radial slicks hang on like glue. After a while you forget about adhesion and concentrate on lines and braking points. It felt safer than riding on the roads.

The most fun I ever had on bikes was on the track, nothing to worry about except my lack of ability!

Also noticed someone had a gas gas ,I spent a few years doing the observed trials rounds in SE QLD ,great fun and taught control and finesse like nothing else ,I had a KT 250 ,a 348 montessa and then a TY350 yammy.

The most fun I ever had on bikes was on the track, nothing to worry about except my lack of ability!Also noticed someone had a gas gas ,I spent a few years doing the observed trials rounds in SE QLD ,great fun and taught control and finesse like nothing else ,I had a KT 250 ,a 348 montessa and then a TY350 yammy.

Years ago, I used to go and watch observed trials riding just outside of Canungra. One time the Australian championships were on. Amazing to watch, those guys really know bike control.

Years ago, I used to go and watch observed trials riding just outside of Canungra. One time the Australian championships were on. Amazing to watch, those guys really know bike control.

Nothing like Av8ta's aerial antics, but this is me in 1976 in a trials comp.

[ATTACH]22962[/ATTACH]

2105107667_1976EricTrialsCompTY175-compressed.jpg.92498b2e30d0da61a98580f6b51bcebc.jpg

• Like 3

I was riding trials around the late 80's, Craig gillies and Shane Mitchell were the top dogs at the time, rode at Canungra quite a few times.

A Gas Gas is a make of trials bike.image.jpg.f6442cd56c0e8a9f51c2e832f5bf8b57.jpg

• Like 2

I was riding trials around the late 80's, Craig gillies and Shane Mitchell were the top dogs at the time, rode at Canungra quite a few times.A Gas Gas is a make of trials bike.[ATTACH]22964[/ATTACH]

Gas Gas still make great Trials bikes as well as Enduro bikes these days.

I was riding trials around the late 80's, Craig gillies and Shane Mitchell were the top dogs at the time, rode at Canungra quite a few times.A Gas Gas is a make of trials bike.[ATTACH]22964[/ATTACH]

Damned dangerous sport, trials. I have come off several times at high speed, but my worst motorcycling injuries have been sustained after falling off at walking pace. Embarrassing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My montessa had a habit of the bars kicking left or right if you jumped a log on a downhill , spent a lot of time laying on my back wondering how the f#ck I got there!

A mate had a bultaco Sherpa t ,worse brakes I've ever seen on a bike, watched him leave plenty of steep sections with a bit of orange tape wrapped around him as he seemed to accelerate into the bottom of a gully.

He then got even more game by fitting a sidecar to it,,,,at least he had company as he ploughed through the scrub out of control

Talking about us riding our bikes and the various joys and bings we've just about all had. I saw this photo of a very cool young lady in what appears to be a possible time trial. Get hold of the bike with its foot operated clutch and hand operated gear lever and... Just how err determined the young lady is. Not sure of the date but possibly around the 1920's ?

082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif strong.gif.dc81ffdb7807ef709604a09d84c59938.gif cheers, Rodger

image.jpg.81180c1d79d8c592acd8bb672570a9db.jpg

• Like 1

?..He then got even more game by fitting a sidecar to it,,,,at least he had company as he ploughed through the scrub out of control

English friends were into sidecar trials- finally someone found a proper use for a chair.

Those sticking-out bits always bothered me, Geoff. Mine are both 45 degrees off vertical to keep them off the road. The Italians can build a bike with curves to remind me of Gina Lollobrigida.

OLD K - You are right.

It would break my heart if I was to put these carbon fibre rocker covers down the road at a track day. They are a work or art ......

I can also remember when Gina was HOT.

S1160002.JPG.7c8c980eda04f3ca6eea137d12d53046.JPG

S1160001.JPG.186c6a50f554dc13301e7ad1bb2a96df.JPG

• Like 1

The Harley with the girl rider would be around a 40's vintage. The last fork like that was 1948 on the Panhead and the 750 (45 Cu in). Foot clutches are not that hard to use once you get used to them.( Unklss some silly"B" walks out in front of you just as you are moving off). Nev

OLD K - You are right.I would break my heart if I was to put these carbon fibre rocker covers down the road at a track day. They are a work or art ......

I can also remember when Gina was HOT.

Too pretty to risk dropping it!

You would not approve of the cover I added I my BM Brick to protect it from gravel rash. In my mate's backyard in Darwin, I used an old plastic election poster, glad wrap and a Bunnings FG repair kit to form a belly pan around the vulnerable bits before performing unnatural acts around the racetrack. Rough as guts, but functional.

BMW sounds OK, But Bavarian Motor Werken less inspiring. DKW means "the little wonder". Cheeze mate! WOW. I like the Yamaha trademark. Three tuning forks Cool! They also make musical instruments .Nev

?.. I like the Yamaha trademark. Three tuning forks Cool! They also make musical instruments .Nev

You are right, Nev. My XS-650 with the original Yamaha mufflers was a musical instrument! Only surpassed by a Ducati with Contis on deceleration.

XS 650 yeah almost forgot about it, had aftermarket pipes on mine just to make it sound better, the boys in blue were not amused (neither was my mum) - made a good noise even though the handing was a bit ordinary. Had a drag with a bonneville one fine day, the bonneville was lighter and a bit faster but the 5 speed gear change a lot better on the Yamaha, so he'd pull away then I'd catch up - never saw which one would win we ran out of road, a long street in the burbs actually, so common sense finally prevailed and we backed off. Dumb things teenagers do.

I know which one would go longer without attention. The XS 650 in some forms was a good thing. They put them in the wasp frames for sidecar scrambles. A bit heavier than the Commando engine they replaced and inclined to break the frame because of the extra weight. Motor and Gearbox very tough. Handling of the original frame solo. Bit "how's your father?" (like most of them were at that time). Nev

My XS tried to kill me several times. The only way to get out of death wobbles was to change down and power out.

Sometimes a bloke on a Bonnie came with us when we went for An Insane Cane. His bike never lasted longer than a few miles. He always had to stop because something was vibrating off.