Straw poll - pilots/motorcyclists.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirt bikes since 1978, road bikes since 1990, drifters since 1996, dreaming of doing all of those since I can remember.

Currently YZ250, GSXR750, GSXR1100, 95.10 and a Drifter. Been playing with model planes since I can remember as well.

Kawasaki 650 versus. :). Love it.

It would be interesting to see what people actually hold licences to operate. I suspect that most pilots would have a wider range than the general public.

Heavy rigid, Car, Bike, forklift, crane (20t), skid steer and boat.

Good thing we don't have marriage licences here in Australia.

it's obvious that riding motorcycles has some beneficial effects in flying aeroplanes....Does the same apply with model aeroplanes as well? I flew free flight glider in competitions for many years and I believe that the knowledge gained from that was incredibly useful in learing to fly. Especially the aerodynamiocs and controls....What do you think?

Kawasaki 650 versus. :). Love it.It would be interesting to see what people actually hold licences to operate. I suspect that most pilots would have a wider range than the general public.

Good thing we don't have marriage licences here in Australia.

I have Medium Rigid, Open motor bike , Forklift, Excavator and Recreational Marine Drivers licence. ( RMDL is on our Drivers licence in QLD).

The forklift one is going to be a pain in the backside. It used to be for life, now it is for 5 years as a High risk licence in Qld. And now, apparently peeps have to keep a long book to show how much the person uses it. Excavator is for life. Actually - It doesn't exist anymore, same as most earthmoving tickets. It is competency based, these days. But having the old licence helps with proving competency. (This is QLD, dunno about other states).

Funny how they now charge $65/5yrs.. Used to be free for life.The licence change over was easy, just provided them with a copy of the old oh&s tickets. (And more $$$)

Yep that jacked me right off. Same as back in the day, No firearms licence in QLD, Then a one off payment for life for a long arm licence, then they changed it to now- every five years. Great way to make revenue.

Have ridden motorcycles since I was 6yrs old - so 43 years in total (you'd think Id be better at it by now!). Raced mud bikes for a short while, then road racing - fastest crash was 235kph when my TZ350 spat a carb and seized - walked away from that one, even though I was sore for weeks afterwards. Slowest crash, South London - hit by a car being towed - they hadn't turned the key on and the steering locked on full right lock. Broken leg, snapped Anterior Cruciate tendon and broken hip - 3 months in traction, 12 months on crutches, now with a hip replacement.

Still have a F1-spec RC30 Honda (which doesn't get ridden - it's just lovely to look at!), and about to buy another Supermotard, after discovering those towards the end of my racing 'career'.

Been flying for 4 years - 140-ish hours - no crashes - yet 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

The scariest thing about flying is the drive/ride to the airfield!

Mal

Bikes owned:

• Matchless 500 road (first bike - pushed it more than rode it) (1970's)

• CZ 250 road (1970's)

• Suzuki T20 cafe racer (1972 - 1982)

• Yamaha 125 Trail (1972 - 1975)

• Yamaha TY175-JC Trials (x 3) - rode competition trials 1975 - 1983

• Yamaha YZ250 - rode competition moto-X and enduros 1983 - 1990

• Honda CB150 road - 2004 to current

Aircraft

• Hang Glider (1988 - 1990) - bent it and myself by crashing into a house

• Jabiru J170-C (2011 - current)

Exotic Cars - ok so no Lamborghini's (so far)

• Messerschmitt KR175 & KR200 micro cars (1975 - 1985)

• Hemi Pacer 265 Speedway Fender Bender (1983 - 1985)

• Mustang GT (2004 - 2008)

Machinery

• CASE 580D Loader / Backhoe (just purchased)

Had bikes from about 10-11 yo, last one , GSXR1100 , gave me three months off work, really dumb accident , still like em but just don't have the desire like I used to, planes are a bigger buzz I reckon!

Model planes from about 1955, Got my bike licence in 1965 & started flying Hang Gliders in 1975 & PPL in 1995. Funny I never noticed that before, all things started half way through a decade. Now what should I do in 2015?

Space flight!

Wow, thanks for the responses... maybe the 82% figure wasn't that far off after all!

I've always believed there's a link between bikes & planes. For a start they both lean the right way in a turn, unlike those 4 wheel thingy's. drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

I started with RC models and Honda XL185, graduated to VFR750 and Cessna 172, hang glider, Triumph Speed Triple, another VFR750, then Suzuki GSX750F (dog of a bike; would never get another). 082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif

Then kids and 2 cars and motorbikes aren't financially viable, but damn I miss riding. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Yep. Wife & I both have 'R' licence. She had a ZX6 but broke her wrist in a snowboarding accident and never regained the strength required for the brake, so that was the end for her. I just got sick of lumping a super-sports machine around in city traffic, so it sat in the garage for longer and longer, so I sold it to a mate who wrote it off. Kinda wish I had it back again now...

It would be interesting to see what people actually hold licences to operate. I suspect that most pilots would have a wider range than the general public.

Good point, got a coastal skipper boat licence too :)

• Informative 1

What about sailing and flying, I reckon there would be a lot of pilots into sailing as well,

Yep, I have done a bit of sailing and many years ago owned a small racing sloop. I was flying Hang Gliders in that same era. There is some very good crossover knowledge gained from both sports.

What about sailing and flying, I reckon there would be a lot of pilots into sailing as well,

Sailing for 45 years, motorcycling for 35 and flying for 30 !!