Straw poll - pilots/motorcyclists.

Hi,

Just out of interest, how many pilots out there are also motorcyclists?

I've always been interested to know if there's a higher than normal proportion of motorcyclists among pilots than general population. Obviously no conclusions can be drawn from a straw poll of this type, as most people who actually respond will be those who have an interest in the question (which probably won't be many!)

One US site did a poll and the result of that was that 82% of pilots have a motorbike licence (see http://us.ridexperience.metzeler.com/2012/04/82-of-pilots-ride/). For the reason above, among others, I don't believe the number is anywhere near that high, but I do have the feeling that the proportion of pilots who ride is higher than the rest of the population.

I'll put my hand up as one, and I know a couple of others. Over to you!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,Just out of interest, how many pilots out there are also motorcyclists?

I've always been interested to know if there's a higher than normal proportion of motorcyclists among pilots than general population. Obviously no conclusions can be drawn from a straw poll of this type, as most people who actually respond will be those who have an interest in the question (which probably won't be many!)

One US site did a poll and the result of that was that 82% of pilots have a motorbike licence (see http://us.ridexperience.metzeler.com/2012/04/82-of-pilots-ride/). For the reason above, among others, I don't believe the number is anywhere near that high, but I do have the feeling that the proportion of pilots who ride is higher than the rest of the population.

I'll put my hand up as one, and I know a couple of others. Over to you!

My old man used to say that riding a motorbike was the next best thing to flying ,

I've always had a bike & a license

Got a 1972 one Owner xl Honda 350, picked it up at a garage sale .

Back in the late 70 s I had a 750 Honda x police bike ,got a lot of respect on the road

Cheers mike

• Like 1

Jabiru UL450

Niviuk Artik 3 M, Paraglider for cross country

Niviuk Hook M, Paraglider for the coast

Niviuk Zion 19 for stronger wind on the coast

Honda CRF230 rec registered for dirt riding

Suzuki GSX1250FA for the road

• Like 1

I have had my Pilot cert since January, and have been riding motorcycles for about 7 years, and really enjoy both. But, I don't like it when the weather is bad which is too often - can't ride or fly (or work!). 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif

A head-on with a car finished my bike riding days some 33 years ago . Came around a blind left hand bend and there he was , on the wrong side of the road . I had nowhere to go . He left the scene and later told the police he wasn't there . He was later found to be unlicensed and under a .05 suspension . I suffered a broken spine , other fractures and was off work for 3 months . He got a $300 fine . I was a confident rider and believed I could handle almost any situation , but didn't figure on this one . So all you young ,and old pilots on bikes , keep well ahead of the game . It can happen to you too .

Bob

• Like 1

working on pilot cert, motorcycle licence since 1991. No ride at the moment, sold mine before moving here in 2010... would like one of those big BMW GS like Charlie Boorman rides.

Got a bike license in 1976, used to ride CB Honda 750 till I had an altercation with a drunk who fell asleep while driving after an all night party. Multiple breaks - leg and arm made me rethink riding on the roads. Learned to fly (GA) in 1984, converted to RAA 1997.

Model planes from about 1955, Got my bike licence in 1965 & started flying Hang Gliders in 1975 & PPL in 1995. Funny I never noticed that before, all things started half way through a decade. Now what should I do in 2015?