them's bombs in them tha hills

johnm

I travelled to central highlands yesterday - went by Qlink - as always can't complain about the service

Its also encouraging that we live in such a safe society - I got a bomb test at brisbane airport - a breatherlizer test in Emerald town - AND a bomb test at emerald airport ....................... crikey 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I've often wondered how many false positives they get in Emerald, Roma, etc with lots of mine workers passing through, some of whom work with explosives all day.

They have a card, to show that they work with explosives. I get a bomb check nearly once a month when flying out of Roma. I actually asked the guy what the go was with the guys who do blasting. He told me the above.

I travelled to central highlands yesterday - went by Qlink - as always can't complain about the service.Its also encouraging that we live in such a safe society - I got a bomb test at brisbane airport - a breatherlizer test in Emerald town - AND a bomb test at emerald airport ....................... crikey 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Is a bomb test realy that accurate?

A couple of weeks ago, my wife, myself and another couple who are friends of ours, were on our way back after a weeks holiday in Sydney. At the airport my mate was chosen to be tested. We walked on for a bit and watched.The guy went over my mate and everything in his carry on lugage 3 times. The test wand ( For want of a better word ) was indicating a positive result to explosives. My mate simply stood there patiently and said, " Go for it, do what you have to but I don`t have any explosives". When the guy was finished,we all went on our way.

To me the interesting bit is that the equiptment was giving a false reading and the guy using it didn`t have a clue why.

Frank.

• Informative 1

Guest Howard Hughes

The test is actually for nitrates as opposed to a 'bomb test' per se. From what I understand there are no protocols to detain those who test positive!

Guest Howard Hughes

As there was no follow up testing, how do you know it was wrong? It is only a screening test for nitrates and nitrates are everywhere, so it is very easy to get a positive test. Much like when you do a swab, or urine test at the GP's, if this is positive you are then referred on for more testing, often this comes back negative.

Without any follow up testing, or defined procedures for what happens when a positive test is registered, it is really only window dressing. I have seen many people since 20o3 register a positive and be let go on their way, I have never seen anyone detained for testing positive.

I was heading home for work and had a spray paint gun in my carry on, the young guy at Tulla picked on it but an older guy says don't worry it's a paint gun, thing is it looks like a hand gun with the pot removed, the young fella should've checked for himself, on the way home I wasn't even challenged about it, maybe they were busy checking old ladies for drugs and explosives.

• Like 1

I have been tested negative - wearing clothes I was handling and wearing ammonium nitrate with the day before. I commented politely that I had expected the device to go 'ping', but only got a weary (or wary) smile from the operator.

I didn't explain, I just got on the plane.

dodo

If I ever fly away for a short break, My Princess always gets done over., (it's almost guaranteed)

I tell her, as sweet as she may look, you just can't trust older ladies 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

And Planey crawls back into his shell and learns to duck.

Interstingly on the ABC there was a person interviewed - this person did not have a defined gender at birth - he had lived life as both sexes (now aged about 40) - this is the position that some find themselves in - in some cases not their choice

he was selected at customs for a drug search (I don't know if cavities were involved (we all have cavities)) ........................ any way into the room with luggage he went and a strip search was done - after this was finalised he stated he was allowed to leave - WITHOUT THE LUGGAGE BEING SEARCHED

...................... he concluded that customs appeared more interested in the strip search than anything else:crazy:

Guest Howard Hughes
If I ever fly away for a short break, My Princess always gets done over., (it's almost guaranteed)I tell her, as sweet as she may look, you just can't trust older ladies 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

And Planey crawls back into his shell and learns to duck.

The secret is you take your time re-packing your bag, putting your belt/shoes/watch back on, then when they grab some other unsuspecting traveller, you quickly slip past! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

The test is actually for nitrates as opposed to a 'bomb test' per se. From what I understand there are no protocols to detain those who test positive!

At the risk of sounding like a cautious old f*rt (which is probably true), we should think long and hard before contributing to discussions like this. The good people we expect to keep us safe rely on more bluff than they should have to, and the more we hear about that the more the bad guys also know...

At the risk of sounding like a cautious old f*rt (which is probably true), we should think long and hard before contributing to discussions like this. The good people we expect to keep us safe rely on more bluff than they should have to, and the more we hear about that the more the bad guys also know...

You mean that this site is being infiltrated?

Where was it I heard about a system that is going to be installed at airports so that people and their baggage step into a booth, designed to detonate any explosives secreted on/in the person or their baggage. Imagine being at the airport and you hear a muffled boom followed by "A seat has become available on the next flight to New York, leaving at gate 5". "Please wait until the cleaners have completed their job, thankyou".

Guest Howard Hughes

Firstly who are 'the bad guys'? And if they are that bad don't you think they would have better information than reading it on rec flying? Don't be fooled by the window dressing, the system has many flaws and the 'bad guys' already know what they are!

Firstly who are 'the bad guys'? And if they are that bad don't you think they would have better information than reading it on rec flying? Don't be fooled by the window dressing, the system has many flaws and the 'bad guys' already know what they are!

Not necessarily. As London and Boston have found to their cost, a major danger is home-grown terrorists. Disaffected young studs with something to prove, but without the connections and resources we assume. To me that's a good enough reason to keep a lid on quite a lot of "inside information" about our security system.

Guest Howard Hughes

It is not 'inside information' Old Koorelah, anyone with Google, or a pair of eyes can find this stuff out!

There are many other 'flaws' which I choose not to discuss openly, that could make a difference.

Australia won't wake up until a few people get their legs blown off by someone imported from overseas. But if you speak up you're a racist dog so most decent folk just keep quiet.

It is not 'inside information' Old Koorelah, anyone with Google, or a pair of eyes can find this stuff out!There are many other 'flaws' which I choose not to discuss openly, that could make a difference.

...for which I am grateful.

Australia won't wake up until a few people get their legs blown off by someone imported from overseas. But if you speak up you're a racist dog so most decent folk just keep quiet.

It's a comment on us all that your comment has gone thru to the keeper...