Bad batch of Mogas

I had an engine failure after take of yesterday

Lots of crud had gloged the fuel filter ,

I'm going to pre filter all Mogas from now on .

It was BP 98 , port Augusta

Landed ok with back up fuel system that hadn't been used so the filters were clean enough ,

But still had crud in them ,

Cheers for now

Mike

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! Always filter mogas, in some places you will be horrified how much crud you will find. Makes you wonder why we don't see more trouble with cars.

• Agree 1

Mr funnel has excellent filtration an a sump. You waste a little bit of fuel usually buy that's a small price to pay. They come in3 sizes. I have a small one in the aircraft at all times.

Laurie

Mr funnel has excellent filtration an a sump. You waste a little bit of fuel usually buy that's a small price to pay. They come in3 sizes. I have a small one in the aircraft at all times.Laurie

Where can you buy them ?

Mike

I have a metal jerry can that uses air pressure to deliver the fuel - I put an inline motorcycle type filter in the fuel line for this reason.

Guest Maj Millard
I have a metal jerry can that uses air pressure to deliver the fuel - I put an inline motorcycle type filter in the fuel line for this reason.

Be carefull with metal jerry cans, especially if they are painted or primed internally. Some have shed internal paint in the past and caused problems.............Maj...023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Guest Maj Millard
Where can you buy them ? Mike

Most of the larger motor cycle outlets now carry them. Black or yellow, only the black ones are approved for aircraft use.........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

All examples of fuel related engine troubles I've heard of have always been experienced by people not prefiltering their fuel before putting it in the tank. Mr funnel does a great a job and is a must if you operate away from major centres. I once spent some time out west and even with Mr funnel I noticed a noticeable change in the colour of the fuel filter even after only 8 hours of flying.

Bluey.

Punkinhead at Yarrawonga has Mr Funnel zip up shaped bags for the funnel, excellent quality also and reasonably priced.

http://www.punkinheadair.com.au/

Highly recommend any work done by Dianne.

And yes Mr funnel a must for any mogas going into any aircraft.

Done almost 1000hrs in trikes and 3 axis with every drop gone through a Mr Funnel and never found any crap in any filter.

Cheers

Alf

• Informative 1

I always use a mr funnel. Regards, Laurie

Just bourght one on e bay $ 164.00 . 19 lts/min . Not cheep but how can you put a price on safty ! Looks like a good piece of gear. Filtering fuel from now on .

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.

Much appreciated .

Cheers Mike

Be carefull with metal jerry cans, especially if they are painted or primed internally. Some have shed internal paint in the past and caused problems.............Maj...023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Yes another reason for the filter !

Just bourght one on e bay $ 164.00 . 19 lts/min . Not cheep but how can you put a price on safty ! Looks like a good piece of gear. Filtering fuel from now on .Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.

Much appreciated .

Cheers Mike

Looks like I got ripped off with the mr /F. On e bay .

Alf PM 'd me and said AERO SHOP has them for & $59. Plus $14. Post ,

Wait a minute , let me do the math .!?

Mike 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Yes

Looks like I got ripped off with the mr /F. On e bay .Alf PM 'd me and said AERO SHOP has them for & $59. Plus $14. Post ,

Wait a minute , let me do the math .!?

Mike 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

I thought that sounded a little expensive Mike,are we talking the small one or the bigger one?..Been a few years now since I bought my big one from a local motorcycle shop. I seem to recall it was about 75-80 bucks or so. I mean you just have to have one, the very fine filter is worth it, and the sump that doesn't let any water through is just a bonus......Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

They are both the 19/20 liter/ min . ones ,

that's the medium one .

I contacted the seller in WA and expressed my disappointment , hasn't got back to me yet ,i mean if it was only a few bucks difference I wouldn't care , but we're taking around the $ 90 buck mark ,

I'm to depressed to work it out exactly ! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

If it has not been posted yet, ask to cancel the order and for a refund.

Use the ebay message system.I take it you paid with paypal.

If they refuse, you can still return it for a refund under the paypal/ebay system.

You will need to return it at your cost and registered but I think it would still be worth it.

I,ve sold semi-professionaly for a couple of years, so know a bit about the system.

In your message, make sure you state you will be returning it for a refund if they do send it and you would be unhappy with their service. Be polite butfirm and do not threaten.

Thats no good Mike. Did the fuel check show up anything before your flight?

No it didn't , I did a double drain check , but no sign of that creamy crud that was in an around the filter ,

I've drained and flushed the whole system , two wing tanks and sump tank three times until clear ,

I've also pulled the throttle body apart to check that those fine holes were ok , they were fine .

I pulled the sump tank out and have re sealed it , so it's back together tomorrow and have another go ,