Is it a pre requisite that when we read others posts we look for whats wrong so we feel smart

DrZoos

Something to ponder .

Whilst i totally support everyones entitlement to totally opposing views its humorous to me how some one makes a brilliant post , they post say 49 lines of intelligent information, and they have one line of not so brilliant info. I think you can guess what happens next....

Takes me back to my uni psychology studies, i think it was the study of illusionary superiority...or was it superiors illusionmuchness

Either way its entertaining, frustrating and annoying at the same time

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Sometimes I try to be humorous. Doesn't always work.. It's easy to be misinterpreted on line. Like I've said before much easier with a stick and draw things in the dirt. Showing what you know involves also showing what you don't know, but it should not be a contest all the time or some will be deterred from posting and that is not desirable. Anyone should feel comfortable . There's a lot of people who I respect here, and I appreciate it when someone acknowledges a post, because it shows someone is thinking about things that are written. It's a great site Ian, with lots of features.( Even if I don't know how to use them all.) Nev

• Like 1

Yep as i said just something to ponder. nev. i get your humour

Not having a go at anyone , just notice it on lots of forums and find it interesting, funny, annoying, all at once...lol

Enjoy your weekend folks

Ps can someone answer my question in the jab forum about the cost of doing thru bolts

Hi Dr. Zoos

It is just laziness of the mind and is very easy to find the negative slant on the situation, blind freddy can see the negatives.

However takes energy and talent to find an answer, then you must be ever mindful that the answers need modifying as you progress along.

Those ones that bag thinking with negative views and yell they have the answer, I do question the size of their egos.

It is a breath of fresh air, having you on the forums. Thank you.

Regards

Keith Page.

Guest Maj Millard

Ps can someone answer my question in the jab forum about the cost of doing thru bolts

Take this as biased or whatever...I don't really care anymore....in respect to working on Jab engines, there are those who do and those that choose not to. I choose not to. Cost of doing the job should be cheaper at the factory, then with a private engineer or L2, but that's just my opinion .

A professional engineer has to consider exposure to public liability, in respect to the possibility of anything that he has performed work on, failing through no fault of his. Wether it's his fault or not, or just yet another mechanical failure, he going to get sued, as its his name in the logbook.

From a pure business sense, we want customers to be happy, and to be return customers. Ones ongoing reputation in the industry is based on this.

In respect to the new J engine stud refit, it may be the ultimate solution, or it may not. The new through-stud nuts were supposed to solve the through-stud breakage problem...but it did not. The new idea sounds good, but only time will tell if it works. I hope it does, some of my friends fly Jabs..

Until such time as the J engine proves its got a good reliability record, there will be those in the industry who choose not to offer their support for the product.....the best option right now for owners, is to take them right back to the factory, from whence they came.........Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Is it a pre requisite that when we read others posts we look for whats wrong so we feel smart

Or the motivation could be educational rather egotistical.

There seem to be lots of low-houred pilots on the forum and an uncorrected ambiguity, mistake or myth could thus be further perpetuated.

Cheers

John

I agree with John. It also depends on how sensitive you are to a challenge.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong if we can gracefully accept a correction. Jees I have said a couple of things on this forum that were clearly wrong on reflection and have been thankful that others have suggested I re look at what I have just said LOL. I think John you have challenged me on at least one occasion.

As I have said before on this forum ...I am never always right and I am never always wrong, I like to think I am mostly right but sometimes can be wrong.

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs
........ then you must be ever mindful that the answers need modifying as you progress along.......

or...to put it a different way....

111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

It's an idea, Rank, but experienced people can give bad advice and inexpereinced people sound advice too.....people need to just ask questions, think about the answers carefully, and then go and find out from a proper source.

In regards to DrZoos' opening comment, I think the main problems are two - some people love to stir (and it is a lot safer behind a keyboard), and sometimes, no matter how careful we are to say what we think, it will come across wrong without all of the emotional tones and body language that we usually use to communicate. There is lot of criticism that I am sure is never meant in a negative way, but comes across like that in print.

• Agree 5

I am probably overcautious compared to most here, but I have seen a situation where a discussion that I did not participate in resulted in a misunderstanding and an aircraft was damaged quite expensively, as a result. Misunderstandings are likely to cause accidents and aviation is better off with only reliable facts being put out on a forum such as this one. I believe it does aid to safety most times . I refrain from giving detailed advice on individual technique, because you may cut across what the pilot's instructor is about at the time, but am very happy to kick around the principles of what is going on with the plane in a general sense. That should be a sort of background understanding that we should all agree on. Most aircraft forums seem to be more antagonistic than this one, but I don't bother with those. Facts will stand out for them selves in the long run . There are quite a few here who have considerable depth in their experience and thoughtfullness, and nobody should feel intimidated to ask something here, though each poster should be able to defend the statements they make. Once someone has started a thread it has a life of it's own, and a reply may be in a general sense and a related comment, and not specifically to the original poster.. We are just communicating really. Am I trying to show my cleverness?? THAT would be a disaster ..Nev

• Agree 2

I find the Thread interesting.Being one of the people who have ended up requesting a Thread to be withdrawn,I have had time to think before over excitadley posting anything.What happens is when we are writing up Posts we are thinking and writing at the same time.Unfortunately we think faster than we can write and as a result we end up omitting certain words,phrases,letters which lead to a totally different meaning to what we would have intended to put across.In the end the whole Post might be deemed dangerous or ambiguous .One other thing is depending on the books we have read,some information might be out dated or corrections have been made without our knowledge.Also depending on the origin of information.I was watching one of the Air Crash Investigations series back in 2005.An American Airline plane had an engine failure on climbing.The pilots using the Flight Manuals had to reduce power of the remaining engine and as a result airspeed decreased to a point of stall.They even didn`t balance rudder because it wasn`t stated in the manual.The plane ended up stalling and yawing and I guess you know what happened next.

Maybe when people seem to jump at someone they are of opinion that one really needs to look into what he has put up.As long as its done with intentions to make one revisit his/her post I think its okay.It only becomes a problem when one is doing a show off thing.

• Agree 1

You are absolutely right tafisama about the written words sometimes expressing what was NOT intended.

I remember someone suggesting on one occasion that I re look at what I had written in one of my posts. When I re-read my post I saw his point, it was completely incorrect the way the words were arranged. The person suggesting I re-read my post knew me enough from previous posts to know what I had written was not what I had intended.

The written language poorly arranged can completely change the intended meaning sometimes and it is always best to re-read your post both before and after you have posted to make sure it states your intended meaning.

Guest Crezzi
I think John you have challenged me on at least one occasion.

I think I have done but certainly not from any sense of superiority ;-)

Guest Crezzi
John, maybe right there under message count and likes recieved it would be helpful to have hours flown and number of types, then we low hour pilots could better tell if we are hearing good advice or just expired air.

I wouldn't particularly have a problem with doing that but I'm not convinced its really necessary. Millions of users refer to the information on Wikipedia which is the product of editing by any number of self-selecting contributors.

I imagine a little research into the posting history of a forum user would generally indicate the likelihood of good advice.

Cheers

John

Something to ponder .Whilst i totally support everyones entitlement to totally opposing views its humorous to me how some one makes a brilliant post , they post say 49 lines of intelligent information, and they have one line of not so brilliant info. I think you can guess what happens next....

Takes me back to my uni psychology studies, i think it was the study of illusionary superiority...or was it superiors illusionmuchness

Either way its entertaining, frustrating and annoying at the same time

Firstly, I would like to

Thank you

For bringing up

This topic, Zoos. I have also been

Frustrated and annoyed with

The constant negativity of person(s) who

Feel that they must insert something 'smart' on almost every

Thread in this great

Forum to the point where

This practice is starting to

Frustrate many users.

There seems to be no easy solution

For this problem with

The exception of ignoring the poster(s). I

Feel that it is better for me not

To reveal the main person I have in mind but

Frequent users of

This fantastic

Forum may have already deduced

The identity of the principal offender that I have in mind. 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 2

Zoos, you must have done your psych. fairly recently. "illusionary superiority" Sort of love it, but no description is ever the ultimate. In psychology, they keep on renaming patterns of behaviour and my studies are probably very much out of date.

I like your contribution. One shouldn't feel afraid of putting a point of view up. It would be a shame if we were all of the same view. The more you find out , the more you find you have to find out. Nev

• Like 3

One shouldn't feel afraid of putting a point of view up. It would be a shame if we were all of the same view. The more you find out , the more you find you have to find out. Nev

Absolutely, diversity of opinion is fantastic. Eventually the truth shines thru. My original post was simply a little frustration at some brilliant posts being shot down... Anyhow its an interesting topic for all by the seems of it.....

We just need to remember that - Nothing would be more boring and less informative then a bunch of people who agree and wont speak their mind..

For me accepting the value in others views even when you think they are wrong can be life changing...

• Agree 2