Savannah Incident At Caboolture

My parts should be here later this week....but still a ways off before she gets back into the air again waiting on the bearings and bushes for the gearbox also the deflection meter but have to fit a new cowl and get it all painted...so beware Steve hopefully you might get a visit around the new year....get that bunk ready next to your "girlfriend" for an overnight stay by moi

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work boys...............I like to run a nice bead of sealant around where the edge meets the alum, and smooth it out for a water tight seal...................014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

More important to leave an opening near the trailing edge to let the water out before it freezes(and expands). By turning the edge on the sheet, you get a fairly good fit anyway, and don't have the challenge of getting paint to stick to silicon.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

I'm a bit slow to catch up with things sometimes, in this case the mishap with your Sav.( I'm not a regular reader of "Accidents and Incidents).

As others have already said it's pleasing to hear Mick and Andy waked away but I was saddened to hear of the damage to your Savvy. However you seem to be making excellent progress with the repairs.I'm sure you will have it back in mint condition and in the air again before too long.

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob

Yours is looking great too

Yes a lesson in landing too hot in a stol aircraft also those bloody brakes on the pedals are a pain too and the source of the issue as well. So there is a few mods being done over this period she will be back soon and a lot better. Mods I have done

1: I have extended the pilot rudder pedal height by 60 mm and fitted the brake levers on the top so now my clodhoppers fit nicely and also a better fit on the pedals for your feet

2: Replaced all the fuel tank tubing with a high quality and non osmosis issues also the tubing from the engine to the fuel pressure and tank return

3: Fitted the 600 kg upgrade

4: Fitted another rear battery door on the right side of the aircraft

5: Got and made a new pilots door due to the polycarb cracking and falling out after a fuel leak

6: Strengthened the bottom of the firewall more than I had already done with a 1.6mm bent bracket that goes across the whole bottom edge of the firewall and attaches to the bottom engine mounts.

7: Fitting another MGL Xtreme EFIS and making a complete new dash including a analogue airspeed indicator,my Avmap EKP-V also a iPad mini retina display going in the dash. The second EFIS will be used for all engine monitoring as well as a AHRS and compass backup

8: Will be modifying the two throttle cables for a straight pull as I believe this was the cause of the engine running rough

The new cowl supplied I reckon is about 2 kg lighter than the first at least

The new door kit went together better than the first two and I have to say fits so much better I am sure they have done mods to their door kits

The gearbox went back on last saturday and the run out on the crank was within spec…to be no more than 3 thou mine was 1.5 thou and the deflection test was excellent no more the 1/4 of a degree in any direction

I decided to use CamLoc fasteners on the new cowl…these so much better they are the 2600-5S super say to fit and work well they are like the CamLoc supplied for the underneath hatch cover

Done my back shifting the mother inlaw out of her place to over here and I go up to the farm on the 20th for a week so probably not much being done until I come back. But the week off I have after that the plane will be ready to go with paint.

Mark

• Like 2

Hi BobYours is looking great too

Yes a lesson in landing too hot in a stol aircraft also those bloody brakes on the pedals are a pain too and the source of the issue as well. So there is a few mods being done over this period she will be back soon and a lot better. Mods I have done

1: I have extended the pilot rudder pedal height by 60 mm and fitted the brake levers on the top so now my clodhoppers fit nicely and also a better fit on the pedals for your feet

2: Replaced all the fuel tank tubing with a high quality and non osmosis issues also the tubing from the engine to the fuel pressure and tank return

5: Got and made a new pilots door due to the polycarb cracking and falling out after a fuel leak

6: Strengthened the bottom of the firewall more than I had already done with a 1.6mm bent bracket that goes across the whole bottom edge of the firewall and attaches to the bottom engine mounts.

7: Fitting another MGL Xtreme EFIS and making a complete new dash including a analogue airspeed indicator,my Avmap EKP-V also a iPad mini retina display going in the dash. The second EFIS will be used for all engine monitoring as well as a AHRS and compass backup

8: Will be modifying the two throttle cables for a straight pull as I believe this was the cause of the engine running rough

The new door kit went together better than the first two and I have to say fits so much better I am sure they have done mods to their door kits

The gearbox went back on last saturday and the run out on the crank was within spec…to be no more than 3 thou mine was 1.5 thou and the deflection test was excellent no more the 1/4 of a degree in any direction

I decided to use CamLoc fasteners on the new cowl…these so much better they are the 2600-5S super say to fit and work well they are like the CamLoc supplied for the underneath hatch cover

Done my back shifting the mother inlaw out of her place to over here and I go up to the farm on the 20th for a week so probably not much being done until I come back. But the week off I have after that the plane will be ready to go with paint.

Mark

Hi BobYours is looking great too

Mark

I was just wondering: why a second battery door on the other side?

Hi Hank

I moved the battery back to the rear position some time ago to change the CG as the plane was nose heavy even though it was within the specs The Sav flys SO MUCH BETTER. The issue is the battery door is pretty much blocked by the battery and I wasn't to store a few things in the back which will bring the CG back a little more and I am expecting even better performance so the easiest way is to fit another battery door on the opposite side..this gives better access to the battery and gives me the room in the back for a lightweight box

I have just prepared my left sheet for the right and visa versa to put the door on the wrong side. That will put the Serial number plate on the wrong side too but I can live with that if CASA can. My door will end up with 1/8" rivets top and bottom now instead of 3/32" along the top, or I could draw ridicule for the rest of my days and install the door with the latch forward and if it opens in flight it can bang away there until I land. Can't do this on an XL with the creases on the sheets, only get away with it on the S because the sheets are smooth. The weight of the battery and the tie-downs have to go back there with my Airmaster prop.

Steve….Why don't you get another door kit?…its a much easier and better solution

Got a perfectly good door kit in my kit, it is no use on the other side with a face full of battery. The onlyholes that are different are the ones for the number plate and one hole up near the front, down fairly low, no idea why it isn't on the other side too, but I am going to drill throught the sheets and have that one on both sides, waste a rivet on the spare hole if I have one.

• 2 weeks later...