Gliding at Narromine 1980

I used to glide at Narromine '70s early '80s. Here is an old Super 8 film showing a bit of what Narromine used to be like. Somewhat different to the Airpark & busy township now.

Cheers

H

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Wow, thanks H! Just like I remember it, only I was much more frugal with my Super 8. Film was expensive.

Nice to see familiar aeroplanes again. It was an exciting time and place. Seeing your first love again after 38 years brings a tear...

I spent some my summer holidays down there around 80/81 crewing sometimes for my friend's father in his Pik20. I spent two weeks in a caravan right next to the airport beacon. We used to make model gliders and throw them off it. I wore out a pair of thongs in two weeks because of the very sharp stone on the runway.

Hey Old Koreelah - Glad it prompted some fond memories for you, as it did with me when I dug the old footage out .

I saw a doco on Narromine Soaring Centre on the ABC. I'd always wanted to fly so I made my next holiday there.

I did my ab initio in 1979 & then I would travel up annually for a week or so of flying.

It wasn't the best way to do it as it was the only flying I did all year & would have to get back up to speed as fast as I could

but I really enjoyed the atmosphere up there so never went anywhere closer to home..

All the different Nationalities & people from all walks of life was fantastic & we used to gather at the Golf Club & have a ball each night.

I flew XO (Blanick), FZ(IS28), EQ(IS29 & WUJ(Astir). I did the 5hrs (well nearly 6 because I forgot to look at my watch & no radio to check)

in the IS29, reaching an altitude of 8,300 ft (Highest I got to was 8,800ft in the IS28)

For me they were memorable days & unfortunately due to some personal reasons I stopped flying in 1981... such is life ;)

Cheers

H

PS: I have some old footage from Benella in 1979 & some from the World Championships held at Benella. I'll try & get that up & pop them on this thread

• Like 1

Great memories, H. I did two one-week stints in '76 and '77.

Our lectures were held in the old WWII fibro building which collapsed while they were trying to relocate it a few years back.

An indelible memory is when just before takeoff Mick, the instructor suddenly got out and closed the canopy. Focusses the attention and boosts the ego all at once.

I loved the end-of-day "hangar flight" when I could land Blanic UX fast, close the flaps and roll around the taxi way and line up to enter the hanger that was later demolished.

Should be a law against old farts reminiscing...

Great memories, H. I did two one-week stints in '76 and '77. Our lectures were held in the old WWII fibro building which collapsed while they were trying to relocate it a few years back.

An indelible memory is when just before takeoff Mick, the instructor suddenly got out and closed the canopy. Focusses the attention and boosts the ego all at once.

I loved the end-of-day "hangar flight" when I could land Blanic UX fast, close the flaps and roll around the taxi way and line up to enter the hanger that was later demolished.

Should be a law against old farts reminiscing...

Ha Ha!!

Would that be Big Red Beard Mick Doyle?

He was flying the tug the day I did my 5hrs - he took me into the centre of a thermal & started circling. I wasn't sure what was going on at first, quite an unconventional method

from the normal straight up.

I saw him furiously waving at me to unhook, it was virtually a slingshot into the sky, ha ha.

I also remember the end of day - John Rowe the CFI flew me once. We had barley lifted off the ground & he released. To this day I have no idea how he could keep that thing

flying for so long. He flew it all the way till the last minute & landed, ready for tie down and it was the long way round!.

Too many laws these days so reminisce as much as you want ;)

H

Yep, Mick Doyle sent me solo, and John Rowe took me through spins and loops in a Twin Astire. At the end of the day he loved to swoop over and dump ballast water on us.

John Rowe also liked to collect the (Japanese) out landed aircraft the fly them back INVERTED the whole way, just to keep himself amused!

What brought all this reminiscing on was a Sunday night BBQ at the Gliding club after Ausfly this year.

Beryl seemed to have all the history & it made me dig back into my dark & dingy boxes of junk.

Your local so you should go to their Saturday/sometimes Sunday night BBQ's - good price for lots of food & drinks, also could bring lots

more memories once you get chatting.

H

The first is some low quality Super8 of gliding at Benella (Think I had ASA 400 film for some stupid reason)

The second is a video I did on my way back from my honeymoon :) Very early video so VHS quality.

• Like 1

...Your local so you should go to their Saturday/sometimes Sunday night BBQ's - good price for lots of food & drinks, also could bring lots

more memories once you get chatting.

H

If 124NM is local. I have a few old pix from '77. might dig them out one day and fly over there.

Thank you!The old super 8 at Benalla brings back a few memories. Was that Mike Valentine with the Kookaburra, I saw. And Bill Sherwell in the Chippie, too?

Kaz

Sorry Kaz I can't help you there.

I saw the gliders when passing through Benella & pulled in to watch.

I didn't know anyone there.

H

If 124NM is local. I have a few old pix from '77. might dig them out one day and fly over there.

oops .... should have lead with an "IF.." it would be a nice overnighter though :)

I reckon there is a lot of this old Super8 footage hanging around...lets hope whoever's hands it lands up in understands it's importance before it is lost to history...

A few years ago I bought an old Standard 8 projector at a clearing sale. In the box were historic reels of film, including a glympse of a horse-drawn harvester in action. I copied some to video for the family- they had no idea it existed.

• 2 months later...

G'day H,

These aren't mine, but are the same model.

And apologies mate, didn't mean to take away from your Narromine and 1980's thread.

Regards G

• Like 3