Bad landing at Innisfail............

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

What I have heard recently is......the plane is now down in Bunderberg for repairs, it is not the first time this aircraft has been on it's back, there is a bit of damage . I think it is a J160 or 170.

Maybe somebody in Bundaberg can give us an update ?..............................Maj...

How about we close the matter. No injuries all will be good.

Maybe......crank up a thread on landing in awkward circumstances, ie gusts, xwinds, short fields etc etc. Diferent methods will make a good read.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Some are not fine FH, as evidenced by upgrade kits now fitted. It's important to get away from generalities, if we are to get this particular incident into perspective and find out the real cause rather than just sh$tcan the pilot.

All aircraft have limitations Turbo...in the airframe dept the Jabirus no more than some many other common aircraft...

The 170 in particular has some specific limitations which can be substantially corrected by a significant modification.

If this aircraft is a 170 and has not been modified and was caught by a gust, then the pilot may have been a passenger and everyone can get off his case.

NOTE: This scenario only applies if it is an unmodified J170.

This post relates to a J170

A J170

If you fly long enough you will encounter gusts near the ground that no plane is equipped to handle. If they are twisters or roll clouds associated with a front or severe wind change or downburst near storms , sometimes it is beyond your control and only good luck ( and perhaps a bit of the right effort) that sees you through. Avoidance of the conditions is the best move but not always possible. Look for raised dust, swirling leaves etc. Nev

If you fly long enough you will encounter gusts near the ground that no plane is equipped to handle. If they are twisters or roll clouds associated with a front or severe wind change or downburst near storms , sometimes it is beyond your control and only good luck ( and perhaps a bit of the right effort) that sees you through. Avoidance of the conditions is the best move but not always possible. Look for raised dust, swirling leaves etc. Nev

I was in the circuit at Parafield when my instructor took over due to a roll cloud at ground level coming from Port Adelaide. All it looked like was a line of dust and swirling leaves just like Nev said. The winds went from 10 kts to over 35 kts within 10 minutes. I'm so glad I had an instructor with me and have a better chance of recognising it if I see it again.

Last post........1 ag pilot, 2 pilots, 2 casa chaps, all watched the unfolding, several of those we're calling, power on power on.......( it was TOO SLOW on short final )

Have observed many times over the yrs of instructing, that low time pilots can be concentrating so hard on maintaining stability in adverse winds, that airspeed drops away nearing short final / round out time. Knowing innisfail, this may well have been the situation, the northern approach with x winds spoiling about over undulating ground over finals, can get some untidy moments on that last 200 mtrs.

That,s it, i,m done here.

Amazing what you hear around the place! This afternoon I was talking to an AG pilot who flies out of Innisfail. He told me the guy in the Jab,came in to land at over a 100kts.

Frank.