Portable GPS help!

Howdy all!

I've been told that I need to get my hands on a portable gps unit, problem is I've never seen one let alone used one as I've mostly had a G1000. I've checked out the gar in website but buggered if I can see what the difference between them is or how the work.

What I'm after is something fit for commercial ops, with map, airspace, ETA and other Infomation like GS etc, terrain would be nice but not a requirement.

Also I'm not sure if they are RNAV compatible but would be lovely if so (for day VMC ONLY), and anything else that don't know about that would be required.

So, basically I would like for someone to give me an idea of what's what or how to go about seeing how they work. And I do have a preference for a Garmin but will consider others

Cheers

Ben

Hard to go past an iPad with ozrunways - full Electronic Flight Bag with current updates for about $80 per year. All maps and IFR charts.

Unless it has been modified, the CAAP states you need an external GPS which is available for about $130. The internal GPS works fine in plastic aeroplanes so I am guessing the external requirement is to cover shielding in metal aircraft?

The anti apple people have different opions but for myself I am neither pro or anti apple so I don't get into that side of things.

In my opinion the only real decision needed is whether to go normal or Mini iPad. The size is a personal preference - my choise is the full size iPad if it is being used for maps etc. expecially tracking for unfamilar taxiways etc , but as I say that is a preference thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hey frank, thanks for the reply,

I've already got the mini 3G with OzRunways which I had told the CP and after that he has still asked fir a portable, not sure why but I'll ask. I've not used OzRunways in flight as of yet but played with it in the car, and I've used the flight planing and plates and what not for about a year. I'm thinking it might be company policy.

Guest Andys@coffs

Keep well away from the Aera range......The mental midgets at Garmin used a car based solution and "forgot" that it has a Bloody speaker in it.......Nigh on useless in a noise aircraft and plays hell with your compass if too close........prior models from Garmin at least weren't stupid enough to have a (not)loud(enough)speaker in them.

All handheld Garmins, and other brands as I understand it are not TSO'd and don't have the necessary RAIM circuitry added (here for details) , which the Garmin panel mount GPS's do have.

So back to your list:-

What I'm after is something fit for commercial ops

(No handheld technically is "fit" for commercial opps unless you can guarantee day VFR when you leave, when you get back and all points in between)

with map, airspace, ETA and other Information like GS etc., terrain would be nice but not a requirement.

Any mapping GPS will have all of this and more and has done for 10+yrs now, however to be and remain accurate requires regular and costly updates to the data throughout the year.....where as Ozrunways gets all that for the paltry amount they charge once per year, and in effect updates automatically..

Also I'm not sure if they are RNAV compatible but would be lovely if so

No.....Definitely not if handheld see Para 2 above.

If it were me I'd stick with the OzRunway solution and in context of commercial Opps work with the CP to better understand his requirements....

Andy

Thanks andy for the heads up on the area range.

As for being fit for commercial ops, what is meant by that is not a heap of junk. Something good. As for being in VMC. The AC will be NVFR rated so if I was in IMC the non TSO'd GPS would be the last of my issues!! Lol

And sucks about no RNAV. I was hoping to use it for practice. 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

The price of them means that it would be a little while off anyways I think

Don't write of the aera 500 without giving it a go. It's portable. I e small. But reliable, doesn't fall over with hot conditions like the ipad does. And personally I use the auto for city driving and find I quite handy being able to switch between the two. The aviation updates are two x $50 per year so not that expensive. Never needed an external antennae..found it works just fine. Probably ask here and someone will have one for sale! Don't know what the prob with audio is..just switch it off. IMHO ok for the money and very reliable as a great back up to the ozrunways.

Had a look at a 795 yesterday and don't think they are worth the 2100 dollars however.

image.jpg.e2c304fcb36c49bdcb456cad1df99296.jpg

Ben

This is the RNAV approach for RW 19 at townsville. The little red aircraft shows your geo position on the approach. As you would be aware and stated in previous posts it is not TSOed but for practise in VMC it is great. You can't log it for currency but you can certainly fly it for practise on a visual approach. The Geo position of the red aircraft is my home address and if I wanted to fly the RNAV approach from that position - all too easy. The minima is displayed on the bottom of the same page not in the photo.

I am not aware of portable TSOed units (not saying that there isn't any) but for practise in VMC I think it is great.

You obviously need a DME of some sort - I have a Garmin 296 dash mounted (also not TSOed) so only ok for practise in VMC but it gives you all the info required to fly the approach.

Guest Andys@coffs

Chocolate

I have the Aera 500, and its in the back of the plane if I ever need it. The problem is that the speaker is a voicecoil around a very strong magnet which we all know significantly affects compass accuracy, especially when in close proximity.

Turning off sound within the system disables the speaker voicecoil in effect but does nothing for the permanent magnet affect which is the real problem I have.

I agree the AERA is sensitive and doesn't need an external antenna....but then today that's true of all mapping receiver's of the same generation.

If I could offer one I believe "must have" for today it would be that it must work from both the American GPS system and also the Russian equivalent Glonass. Any system that can work from both will have roughly twice as many satellites it can take a feed from which will mean that:-

1) time to 1st fix will be faster.....from power on to Lat/Long being displayed and accurate will be quicker

2) Accuracy (DOP) will be better because better quality satellites can be chosen by the device receiver from both systems rather than just the one systems that are available

3) occasional outages due to poor visibility of satellites is very unlikely to happen

4) Each USA Russia military can turn off their systems availability to all users. Will be a really big deal if both off at the same time......

5) The receiver will likely be 16 or more channels. The greater the number of channels the better the altitude accuracy.

I cant comment on the aera but have used the 296 and own a 495 its perfect for me and easy to use and can be expanded im just a VFR Pilot myself and it suits me well I also have ozrunways on ipad wi fi and iphone but found it a bit cumbersome for me .

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
Nigh on useless in a noise aircraft and plays hell with your compass if too close........

I was planning to feed my Aera 500 audio into the intercom on an Xcom radio, through the bare wire mount I just bought, so looking at effect on the compass, would it be feasible to open the case and rip the speaker out completely?

• Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Yes, you may need to fit an 8 or 16ohm resistor in place to simulate the speaker if it becomes unhappy( unlikely IMHO) but you never can tell. Might be better though knowing the interference just to move it away from the compass and then swing the compass to compensate for the interference

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Aera too, but don't use the speaker at all and the compass is miles away, so no issue for me. The only problem is that bright sunlight through my bubble canopy does make it difficult to read sometimes, and for that reason I'm actually going the opposite way - looking at installing a bright fixed display.

If you want charts etc, as well as portability, then Ozrunways on the iPad is by far the best solution. It is not possible to get a portable GPS which legally satisfies RNAV requirements.